Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steps and stair count seem off

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I just got a Fitbit One after moving from an Up. I seem to get many more steps with the One than I did with the Up. Also, the Stairs seems to add up fast. I drove for a good bit of the day today and I know I only walked up stairs 3 or 4 times. It says I have 19. What gives?

Best Answer
0 Votes
7 REPLIES 7

http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/How-does-my-tracker-count-floors/?q=count+floors&...

Floors are counted using an altimeter. An altimeter is a sensor that calculates altitude based on atmospheric pressure and atmospheric pressure decreases with increasing elevation, so the it calculates elevation gain based on the reduction in atmospheric pressure. Your trackers register a floor when they detect continuous motion combined with an elevation gain of about 10 feet. Given the fact that 10 feet is an average between residential and commercial floor heights, although commercial floors in particular tend to be higher than residential floors.

It will add floors when it is windy or cold.

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks, Wendy, for responding. So, from what you say, does an elevator affect the fit bit?  I stayed at a hotel weekend and I had 19 flights to stairs. I did not go up any stairs (although I should have).  

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm having a stair issue too.  My tracker thinks I went up 50 flights of stairs yesterday.  I can assure you​ that did not happen. 😀

Best Answer
0 Votes

My stair count is also off.  I got over 100 floors the other day and over 200 the next day!!  Getting a lot of badges!!

Best Answer

I was shopping, checked my stair count. The One counted 2 flights right before stepping into an elevator. When I stepped out it registered 2 more flights. After midnight last night (this morning)  I went upstairs to bed. It registered that but this morning, upon awakening, that flight is gone. It says zero. Yeah, it's only one flight but it WAS there & now it's gone. 

Best Answer

I'm new to the fitbit one, but I believe that all numbers revert to zero after midnight, and are recorded.

Best Answer

@Nola504 @KathySmith131 @MissMary4750 @Kabre1 Welcome to the Fitbit family! If you keep experiencing issues with the floors being too high; I recommend performing a restart on your One. Do this a couple of times in a row. That should certainly help you out.

Also, yes, Fitbit trackers will reset at midnight and will save your data. @Oona

Keep me posted! Smiley Happy

Santi | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Like my response? Vote for it! Also, accept as solution!

Best Answer
0 Votes