Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stride length help with the calculation

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi,

I know this forum is full of stride length questions but I don't know if I'm doing something wrong with the fitbit math?

I did 130 steps in 0.09 mile (475.2 feet)when I divide 475.2 by 130 I'm getting 3.655...... am I missing out a step because my default stride length is 39 inches so I know it can't be 3...

Any help is appreciated 😊

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@Paris90  3.655 feet converts to 3 feet 7.8 inches.   That is 43.8 inches.

How did you do your measurements?  475.2 feet is an odd measurement to be using.

And is this measurement running or walking?  You picture icon shows that you are a woman.  I am a tall woman and your number is much longer than my running stride length.  Unless your legs are very long/short for your height, the defaults work well for most.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
7 REPLIES 7

Hi, @Paris90, yes, you are missing a step!  You have divided 475.2 feet by 130 steps and you come up with 3.655 feet (ie you cover 3.655 feet in 130 steps).  To get to inches you need to multiply that number by 12.  So your calculated stride length is actually 43.86 inches (compared to the default 39), suggesting that your stride is longer than your height would suggest.  You may want to edit your stride length to give you more accurate mileage.  Remember that it will always be a fairly rough estimate, as no one walks (or runs) with a constant stride length.

Here is the help article which discusses how to calculate stride.  I would try this several times and take an average.

I hope this helps.  Welcome to the forums!

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Paris90  3.655 feet converts to 3 feet 7.8 inches.   That is 43.8 inches.

How did you do your measurements?  475.2 feet is an odd measurement to be using.

And is this measurement running or walking?  You picture icon shows that you are a woman.  I am a tall woman and your number is much longer than my running stride length.  Unless your legs are very long/short for your height, the defaults work well for most.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @LZeeW I'm 5ft 11 and yes a woman so I'm tall too

I finished my morning 5k run today and thought I'd measure my stride length because I keep forgetting to do it so I ran from the top of my road to the bottom and that's 0.09 miles or pretty much 0.1 miles and the math is to count your steps and divide by the length in feet to which I got 475.2?

I did 130 steps in 0.09 mile so I think that's right? I know nothings 100% accurate but thought I'd try and be as accurate as I could be?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Paris90, yes, your calculation is fine.  You just needed one more step, as I mentioned above, to get inches.  

I also think, as I said, that to be most accurate you should try this 3 times and then take the average.

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Paris90  If you want to be more accurate, try doing your measurement at a well marked place like a school track.  Most tracks are marked in meters, so you have to convert (1 m = 39.3 in).  Or run the length of the football field (100 yds = 300 ft). 

I am lucky enough to live close to a trail that has mile markers painted on it.  It goes up and down hills, so I get a better average, as stride length can change with changing conditions.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Best Answer
0 Votes

@LZeeW @Julia_G thank you both 😊

I'll probably just set it back to 39. Im from England and where I live there aren't any sort of tracks to go to unfortunately so I wouldn't know how to track that length.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Paris90  How about a football pitch?  The penalty box is always 18 yds x 44 yds by FIFA.  The center circle is 20 yds in diameter.  The endline - endline and touchline - touchline lengths can vary, but I'm sure someone will know the dimensions of that particular pitch.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Best Answer
0 Votes