Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 2 Connected GPS

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi

I'm just about to buy my first Fitbit and just wanted to check how the GPS bit works first. I will be using the GPS bit when I'm cycling and hopefully it works with the minimum of effort. Once paired to my iPhone will the fitbit constantly monitor my location or do I have to pair it each time I want to track where I'm going? Do I have to do anything on the iPhone before I set off?

Cheers

Best Answer
56 REPLIES 56
I thought so...didn't turn on walk, but cycling is not appearing when I try "add an activity"

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Ok..I guess this could be the one.  I make changes only in my iPhone, setting etc...as it's in syn.  I see an option in the fitbit wearable for cycling...will try next time while GPS turned on...thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sebastien, to make sure I understand: when you want to use connected GPS, you need to have the Charge paired to the phone, the phone's location and internet connection on, and you need to take the phone with you. From there the Charge will automatically start tracking. Correct?

And if I don't bring the phone, I will still get an estimated distance traveled during my workout. Is that automatic or do I need to do anything special to get the workout distance to be recorded?

Best Answer

@shmiusa for cycling launching from your Charge 2 with the GPS on you phone should do the trick. Just make sure that you see the connected icon before starting to make sure the connection to your device was established. 

@SLS575 welcome to the Community! The Charge 2 does not have an integrated GPS so as you said you need to take the phone with you to have it's GPS stepping in. The Internet connection will help as well. Now to use the GPS info you need to launch an activity from the device for this information to start getting recorded. You can start the activity by pressing the Charge button until you get to the exercises and then tap on the screen to switch  the sport you wish to start tracking, once you have chosen press on the button and hold to start the activity. This is for when you wish a GPS map of your workout.

If the GPS is not available or if you don't take the phone with you then the Charge 2 can still track the activity, just the GPS data will be missing. 

The distance will in that case be estimated by multiplying your step number by your stride length

Best Answer
0 Votes

So if I were to track in mapmyride and sync to fit it would I see my ride stats including HR info all in one place?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@davestewart68 The Fitbit/MapMyRun integration syncs: steps distance, calories, and weight from Fitbit to MapMyRun; unfortunately it is a one-way integration.

You can find more information about the integration here.

Derrick | Retired Moderator, Fitbit

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Derrick, thanks for the swift reply. My preferred method of tracking would be via the charge 2, and connected GPS, manually start and stop to track and sync to the app ony phone. Trouble is the GPS is way out, so the stats are all wrong. My phone is near the charge 2, all connected and good to go, but after riding 8 message it just appears like the GPS was doing its own thing entirely. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
My observations so far..... 1. iPhone and fitbit are in sync (just turn on Location tracking) 2. On fitbit, you can choose Bike option, just like any other, treadmill, run, elliptical or whatever 3. on the iphone fitbit app, from dashboard when you press the "+" sign to track an exercise, there is no option for "cycling". All you see is Run, Walk, Hike.... 4. As mentioned by somebody, fitbit charge 2 can track cycling, with or without GPS connected (No GPS, no map), but there is no way you will see distance covered, distance location etc, because there is no way you can select or no way you can have the option for *cycling" 5. you will only end up seeing Bike, min, cals, avg, bpm etc. What am I missing?
Best Answer
0 Votes

@MMV12, i just went for a walk and it didn't map it.  I checked the Background App Refresh as suggested and I see it was turned off automatically as my phone power was low.  Maybe that might be your problem too...why sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

I'm going to fully charge my phone and test it out again.

Best Answer

Before you start walking, make sure the travker shows thatbit is connected to the phones gps.

This requires that the Fitbit notifacation services be running.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you, @SunsetRunner! Ran yesterday and the connected GPS didn't work! I'll keep trying!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I finally got mine working @MMV12.  I charged my phone fully, turned off the low battery mode and then did the following for each activity I want GPS for.  Go to FB app, click 'account', select tracker, click 'exercise shortcuts', click on activity you need to fix, make sure 'connected GPS' is selected.

It now works perfectly.

When I select the activity on my tracker I want, before I start out, I just make sure I have the little phone icon on the screen, this means it's connecting with my phone's GPS.

Best Answer

Thanks @SunsetRunner! I ran this afternoon and I was connected for a couple minutes before I got the line through the phone icon. When I opened the app, there was a map for my run, so I was connected even though the icon on my Charge 2 said otherwise. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

So if you visit this page;

https://www.fitbit.com/uk/devices

You can enter your phone model to find out about compatible components of the fitbit device.  Bizarrely the MOTO G 2nd Gen 2013 is compatible with Connected GPS but the newer model, the MOTO G 2nd Gen 2014 isn't.

Guess what?  I've got a MOTO G 2nd Gen 2014.  I can't figure out why the different phones might not be compatible.  Anyone able to explain?.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Okay, can someone please explain how this works???

I used my "Hike" feature on my Charge2 for the first time today. Keep in mind, I have a cheaper smart phone, and it's a pre-pay with NO data plan.

Not knowing how the activity worked, I just drove to a local park (NO wifi), hit go on my tracker, went for my hike, and stopped it at the end. When I got home (near wifi) and checked my ap, I was amazed to see not only all the data/stats from the hike, but an amazingly accurate map of the hike itself, in incredible detail. If I don't have data, wifi, or an internet connection, how did the fitbit accurately track the precise location of my hike on the map, which was out in the wilderness away from anything?

Oh, and fearing the worst ($$), I checked my cell plan immediately and none of my minutes were used. Even though I don't have a data plan, I wanted to make sure nothing went wrong and it cost me money.

Thanks in advance.

Best Answer
0 Votes

far as i can tell it uses the gps satellite to plot map not internet connection

i dont even have a sim card in the phone i use with my fitbit still get maps

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am a bit disappointed that you have to take your phone with you to get a route map. When I bought this model it was so  I could do that without having to take my phone on a run. I wish I had bought the cheaper Alta now. I think the marketing should be clearer so people buy the right thing for them.

Best Answer

I have the Surge.  That is the only Fitbit that has a built-in GPS, which means you don't have to take your phone with you and it will still map your run/walk/hike/etc.  The only 2 things I don't like about it are: (1) it's too "bulky" for my wrist and (2) the screen isn't very bright so it's hard to read sometimes.  I just bought a Charge 2 and am going to check out the connected GPS since I almost always take my phone with me anyway.  I really like the fact that I can see the map during my runs.  So I hope the Charge 2 will work for me.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, how did you get on with the charge 2 v the surge ?

I am looking to replace mine charge, had a blaze but it didnt function on a wet raining day as the touch screen was too sensitive and keep brushing my jacket and pausing / stopping.

I cant decide as the surge does everything I want but looks really bit but the reservation of the Charge 2 still needing connected GPS is a concern

I use it for running and walking and want one device to do both really

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner the Surge is considered a legacy device by Fitbit, has design flaws, and hasn't received a firmware update in over a year. It will likely be discontinued and replaced soon. I recommend waiting for the replacement. 

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer