Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 3 Dim Screen

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Some of this is sharing my experience, a little is venting, and perhaps there's a little advice.

I have a Fitbit Charge 3 and I started to experience a dim screen sometime last year. I thought I must have accidentally changed the screen brightness and I was too lazy to fix it. I can't say how long it was going on, but it was a matter of months before I tried to fix it, but the screen was already at its brightest setting. I know the screen used to be brighter, so I couldn't figure out what happened.

After a little searching, I discovered that my issue wasn't mine alone. A quick search for discussions about dim screens in these forums nets more than 600 results. This issue was commonplace, though the cause was unknown. What was clear was that this wasn't specific to one user group or one type of activity. The conclusion was it was a product defect or an issue caused by an update. Either way, all evidence suggested this was Fitbit's fault, not mine.

I reached out to Fitbit customer support on January 5 of this year and I was told that my product was no longer under warranty, so the company couldn't do anything for me. It didn't matter that the problem was Fitbit's fault, either by faulty design or, more likely, by a bad firmware update. The warranty had lapsed, so I had to suck it up. Not to worry, I was told! Geraldine N. from the "Fitbit Team" wrote she wanted to keep me "in the Fitbit family," so I was being offered a 35% discount on a new device--but I had to buy one in the next 30 days or the discount, like my screen, would expire.

I argued that I shouldn't have to buy a new device because Fitbit broke my old one. And if the company wasn't going to stand behind this product (it was the second Fitbit I owned, and the first one had a warranty issue as well), why would I invest in yet another one? And if Fitbit really wanted me to stay "in the Fitbit family," why would this discount be subject to a 30-day window? I was told that "the system" would not allow them to take action if the device was outside its warranty.

The last email I received from Fitbit acknowledged, "Since you've already exhausted all the available troubleshooting steps, we can confirm that your Charge 3 is defective..." In the very same breath, the warranty period was reiterated. I was told Fitbit had to "enforce our policy." That ended the conversation and any effort Fitbit was going to invest in making this right and retaining me as a customer.

I get it that Fitbit is a big company, lots of products, and millions of customers. They can lose one and it won't make a dent in their financials. But look around online and see that the dim screen is a widespread problem, realized by customers who use their devices in a variety of environments. This isn't an isolated issue caused by misuse; this was an issue caused by bad programming or bad design. Any company could make that kind of mistake, but to hide behind policy is bad business. A half-assed discount with a ticking clock deadline doesn't do anything but make the customer even more frustrated.

The result of all this isn't hard to predict. I was a loyal Fitbit customer, a repeat Fitbit customer, the kind of customer any business tries hard to cultivate. Now I'm an ex-customer. I haven't worn my Fitbit in weeks, but I can show you pictures of my new Apple Watch. Your loss, Fitbit. And no one to blame but you.

Moderator edit: subject for clarity 

Best Answer
15 REPLIES 15

Have you verified you are not in Sleep Mode?

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer

Nope, not in sleep mode.

Best Answer

Hello @Liebo, welcome to the community forums! @JohnnyRow it's nice to see you around and thanks for your input! 

@Liebo I'm very sorry for the experience you've had and thanks for taking the time to share your feedback! Please note that our team is always working to enhance your experience and your feedback is a big part of that process.

I was also informed by our Support Team that you reached out to them and they have worked on your case. If you have additional questions or if you want to share your feedback via email, you can reply directly to your case. As mentioned above, it helps to work on improvements to our services. 

Have a great day! 

Wilson M. | Community Moderator, Fitbit.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for your message, @WilsonFitbit. Yes, I initiated contact with the support team when the problem with my device couldn't be corrected. It was the support team that concluded the device was defective, but since it was out of warranty the only help I could get was a modest, time-limited discount. I don't question if the support team had been in contact with me, but instead whether the team or the company was prepared to take responsibility for the issue. That question was answered and answered poorly.

I shared my experience because I wanted, 1) current Fitbit device owners to know that there is a defect, either in the device or the software, that is affecting many devices and if you want any help at all, to act soon enough that you don't get shut out my warranty nonsense, and 2) anyone considering a Fitbit device to know beforehand that Fitbit can acknowledge an issue but not stand behind the product. To sum it up, I was brand loyal until the brand decided it didn't want to me. Maybe that's fine with some people, but Fitbit told me to get lost, so I did.

Best Answer

@Liebo, thank you very much for taking the time to provide your comments! 

Our team ensures that our Fitbit devices go through rigorous testing to ensure that they meet the high-quality standards expected. However, due to some factors that are beyond human control, materials that these devices are made of also reaches its limitation. Same with other devices, it may encounter a manufacturing issue that we can only determine once the user has experienced it.

I appreciate your feedback and as I mentioned before, feedback helps to continue working on improvements. 

See you around. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just had this same issue, and called the helpline yesterday. I could not see my display, and I know the settings and possible fixes. I was told I would receive an email since I was out of warranty. They offered 35% off a new device. I was actually going to purchase a new watch, but I tried one last thing!  Reset your password on your app!

Moderator edit: format. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Discovered Sorry for the experience. 

If you haven't done so, I recommend updating your case with our Support Team for further assistance. They can continue assisting you and provide a prompt resolution for you to redeem the discount. 

See you around. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Got my charge 3 Christmas 2019 and display is now so faint I can't see it. It still records steps,asleep, heart rate etc fine but as a watch it is now defunked 

Best Answer

Hello @MammaRabbid. Welcome to the community forums!

Thank you for the information. If you haven't do so, I recommend visiting this thread for our recommendation on how to help with Charge 3 screen inconveniences.  

If you've tried the restart, the next step is to reach out to our Support Team for further assistance. You can click in the link provided in the thread or click here to get connected. 

See you around. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have tried everything I can to fix the virtually dark screen on my charge3.

Most of the advice assumes you can see something. There is a very faint glow but unable to read it and therefore try to re set it in settings, it is working as shown on my iPad but absolutely useless out and about during the day. 

How can I try to fix it ? I have tried doing as suggested in all the posts including plugging in and pressing various number of times as suggested. Nothing works. 

An expensive item that is nusable at the moment.

Best Answer

Hello @Triggerina. Welcome to the community forums. 

I'm sorry for this and thank you for following the suggested steps and for taking the time to provide your feedback. If none of the steps worked, I suggest contacting our Support Team for further assistance. Note that you can contact them through chat or over the phone and you can click here to get connected. 

Make sure to explain the inconveniences and mention the troubleshooting steps you've tried, this way they can assist you from there. 

See you around. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’m having the same experience and I’m mad as hell. I bought a charge 2. When that stopped working after 2 years I bought a charge 3. now this one has stopped working. Seriously thinking another option is the way to go

Moderator edit: word choice

Best Answer

Hello @LisaSisdone. Welcome to the community forums. 

I'm very sorry for the experience and thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. At this time, I was able to see that you reached out to our Support Team and they provided information and assistance. If you still have additional questions or inquiries about the outcome of your case, I recommend replying back to your case and they will be glad to continue assisting you. 

See you around. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Funny how this is happening to so many people, yet Fitbit's only answer is that we should just buy a new device. So many different users, so many different usage scenarios. It can't be all our fault, can it? So far, Fitbit's answer is: yes. But have no fear, we should blindly buy another device without any explanation as to how this happened to the first one, or how Fitbit is going to ensure it won't happen again. 

Best Answer

@Liebo It's nice to see you around. 

I'm sorry for any inconvenience and thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. I'd like to let you know that we're not sure about what could be the exact cause of the inconvenience but sometimes devices can experience difficulties due to normal wear. 

Pease note that any feedback posted in the forums is always welcome as it helps to improve our products, services and overall environment. On a side note, this thread is now closed and if you have any other inquiries or questions, please make sure to post them in a new thread. 

See you around. 

Best Answer
0 Votes