Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charge 4 interval training issues

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I am having two issues with the interval training setting on my recently purchased Charge 4. 

1. The Move/Rest times are preset at 10 seconds each. I want to change the time to 30 seconds of work to 10 seconds of rest, but I can't seem to figure out how to change the time settings. 

2. The Charge 4 does not vibrate when it's time to change from move to rest or vise versa. I want it to vibrate to alert me when to change movements/rest, etc. 

My Charge 2 was already preset to do both of these things. I like the way it was set up for interval training. The Charge 4 presetting are just not as good and for some reason the custom settings elude me. Help with this is much welcomed and appreciated. Thank you!

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
19 REPLIES 19

Welcome to the Community, @L_banjo.

Regarding your interval training issue, by default, the interval workout consists of: 

• Move period: 30 seconds
  • Rest period: 10 seconds
  • Repeat: 14 times
  • Total time: 9:20 

To set custom intervals: 

1. From the Fitbit app dashboard, tap Account icon > your device image.
  2. Tap Exercise Shortcuts.
  3. Tap Interval Workout. 
  4. Set your intervals.
  5. Sync your device to save the changes.

Let me know how it goes. 🙂

Alejandra | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you like something I recommended, I encourage you to mark that reply as "Best Answer". 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just got the Charge 4. I don't see an Interval option (Step 3). I'd like to set up Walk for 5min, Run 5k, Walk 5 min. Is that possible with the Charge 4? Thanks

Best Answer
@qtrroy Charge 4 doesn't support more complex intervals. There are no distance-based intervals. The "Interval Workout" is available as type of exercise and includes only time-based intervals (for "rest" and "move"). You can't enable intervals or any other type of exercise (like run, walk etc.).
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you. I see Interval Workout as a "+" option now.

Well, that's a bummer. My 7 yr old Runner Double app does this, but it's been getting buggy lately by dropping my run tracking. I was hoping to have Fitbit completely replace it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @qtrroy, welcome to the Community Forums. @t.parker, it's great to see you around and thanks for sharing your insight.

@qtrroy, I'm glad that you were able to add the Interval Workout as an exercise shortcut. As @t.parker, mentioned the Interval Workout is an option to track high intensity periods and rest times. I'm sorry for any inconvenience caused. Our team always takes every comment shared in the forums into consideration to improve our products and services, for that reason I'd recommend to submit this idea in the Feature Suggestions board so other members can vote for it. The more votes an idea receives, the better chance it has of getting the attention of the developers.

I'll be around if you have another question.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Lizzy,

I've also got one of the problems listed by the original poster. I've managed to set my intervals, but I can't seem to get the Fitbit to buzz to notify me when to change between move and rest. 

Could you advise how to make the Fitbit do this? Is this not a feature, is it a bug, or other?

Best Answer

I’m having this same issue, no vibration between intervals and the screen doesn’t light up either. Kind of defeats the purpose of having timed intervals ..

Best Answer

Hiya. Just got a charge 4. Trying to set up for run intervals but cant see Interval workout in exercise shortcuts and no + either. Can you help? I can see how to set laps but it is not clear where to set how many intervals or rest period. 

Thank you

Best Answer

I have the same issue

Best Answer

Hei. I cannot edit or add more intervals. Seems to be a bug. I have a Charge 4 and a new iPhone SE. When i press edit i can only delete the rest time. This is seems like veru vital thing that should work. Also even finding the setting was difficult and none intuitive. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

My fitbit used to vibrate during the interval training for each rest/move period. Since the update a few days ago it completely stopped doing that. I hope we both get the answer to that issue soon. 

To change the interval you have to use the app on your phone, but I'm sure you've figured that out already. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Just did my first interval run with my new charge 4 and it didn't vibrate between intervals, I held it in view for the 3rd change just in case I'd missed it but nothing which makes it useless, I've just changed the settings to max vibrate which I'll try next run

Best Answer

Just discovered my exercise alerts were turned off doh, another thread pointed me to this, may need to turn off heart zone notifications too, both controls are on the watch under settings 😀 

Best Answer

That did it!! Thank you!

For anyone still looking:

On the watch > settings > do not disturb > exercise notifications

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am having a slightly different issue. It does vibrate between intervals, but it is so slight and short that I often don’t feel it. I set vibrations to strong, and it didn’t make a difference. Is there any way to increase the length of time that it vibrates?

Best Answer
0 Votes
Not that I have found, with vibrations set to strong or maximum I find they
are barely perceptible but usable if you remain focused on them, if you
zone off its easy to overlook them, my other watch emits a shrill beep you
can't overlook so I wear both for intervals as my onmove watch doesn't have
heartrate.
Best Answer

The app records the rest and move periods opposite to how it is shown on the device during the workout. So if i have a 30s move and 1 min resr period, the app shows it as 30s rest and 1 min move. This is very irritating and seems to be a result of a botched firmware update quite a while ago. Please fix this.

Best Answer
the app and software on the clock is a joke if you want it to track intervals. No response and help to get from this forum.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Charge 4 or 5 are health bands with sports features, for serious sports
tracking you should look elsewhere, Garmin seems very running orientated
with better metrics and features, for me the charge 4 works, battery life,
health stats, general sports tracking and GPS all good plus its so light
and ergonomic that I forget I'm wearing it, strap broke a couple of weeks
ago so used the second larger one but was a tad bulky for me, just over a
year since I bought it, fitbit sent me a replacement for free 😉
Best Answer