Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exercise tracking in app - no heart rate data

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi!

I just upgraded to the Charge 2 (from a One) and am trying out the different exercise tracking options.

I'm used to tracking a run from the fitbit app on my iphone.

My question is regarding the heart rate tracking.  If I track my run from the Charge 2 I see my heart rate data in real time during the run (on the Charge 2 screen) and a summary afterwards in the fitbit app.  But if I track a run from the app I don't see any heart rate data - during the run or in the summary afterwards.  I assume the Charge 2 is tracking heart rate during the run regardless, so why doesn't it show me that data in the app as part of the exercise summary?

As I run without my glasses, I find it easier to see my run stats in large font on my phone than on the small Charge 2 screen.  But does this mean I can't record heart rate data for my run unless I track the run from the Charge 2?

Thanks for any help!

Robyn

Best Answer
149 REPLIES 149

@robynarthur wrote:

Hi!

I just upgraded to the Charge 2 (from a One) and am trying out the different exercise tracking options.

I'm used to tracking a run from the fitbit app on my iphone.

My question is regarding the heart rate tracking.  If I track my run from the Charge 2 I see my heart rate data in real time during the run (on the Charge 2 screen) and a summary afterwards in the fitbit app.  But if I track a run from the app I don't see any heart rate data - during the run or in the summary afterwards.  I assume the Charge 2 is tracking heart rate during the run regardless, so why doesn't it show me that data in the app as part of the exercise summary?

As I run without my glasses, I find it easier to see my run stats in large font on my phone than on the small Charge 2 screen.  But does this mean I can't record heart rate data for my run unless I track the run from the Charge 2?

Thanks for any help!

Robyn

Hi @robynarthur,

Tracking from the app with the Charge 2 is more for use when you don't have the fitbit on you, but want to log an exercise anyway. You'll want to start the exercise from the Charge 2 to make sure heart rate data is captured.

What I would suggest is using the Charge 2 to start the exercise. And then, have the fitbit app open on your phone. The app will show you real-time statistics as you exercise.  You'll see heart rate, steps, calories burned, etc. And the entry for the exercise will have all the heart rate data. Hope this helps.

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer

Thanks Dave for your reply.  That solution worked well.

I ended up upgrading to the Ionic. Now I can see the big screen without my glasses while I run. 😀

Robyn

Best Answer
0 Votes

I disagree... I start my exercises always in the app, and my fitbit does record the heart rate data in the exercise just random. I am running now today 4 days in a row exactly the same run. 2 have heart rate data and 2 have not... And always did e-x-a-c-t-l-y the same thing.

And when you start the exercise on the watch, all data during exercise must be read from the watch and that is a horrible pain! As a sport watch (mine is a charge 2) in that way, it fails completely because of the watch going out every few seconds (already asked a million times on this community to change it) ... And thus, when started by the watch, the exercise parameters time and distance are not in real time available on the app.

So I wonder what it realy is that makes an exercise have the heart rate data recorded yes or no...

Moderator edit: Format 

Best Answer

Same issue; I always start my run tracking via the app and it has always recorded heart rate data - but not today! Heart rate is still in the app just not recording against my exercise. Since this is what I am primarily interested in it’s a little frustrating to say the least...

Best Answer

Same thing happened to me this morning. What is the answer?

Best Answer

Same thing is happening with me. That is the reason I started looking in this forum.  I walk every day and I use the app on my phone.  I also turn on my Bluetooth.  The summary of my walk always game me the heart rate.  That is the whole reason I started using the Fitbit.  Now it has stopped giving me the summary of my heart rate.  I really don't know what to do.  I really like my Fitbit, but may have to look for something else if I can't get the heart rate data. 

Best Answer

Also the same issue with my Inspire Hr today. Turned on Bluetooth as usual, started tracking my run from the app as usual, and yet after the run no heart rate summary is made available with the exercise log. Strange as, if I check it in the heart rate section of the app, the data itself is there so it must be a software issue. Wish Fitbit would sort this out as its really annoying! 

Best Answer

So Fitbit, Can you please dig into this? Because it seems some recent update must have triggered this behaviour to be more common now...

Best Answer

Same thing happened to me this morning, all my other runs when tracking from the app have heart rate data, and this morning it was missing, even though if I look at my heart rate activity from the dashboard the info is there. Please fix this!

Best Answer

My Fitbit Charge 2 used to record my heart rate when i select Exercise on the app and measures my avg BPM, it last worked on Monday 29 July 2019. Wednesday & Thursday i used the exact same routine as i always do and to my dismay it has not worked. This is extremely annoying as my heart rate gives me extra points for pushing myself hard at the gym. 

I need my heart rate data to work!

Please help

Best Answer

Same here. Two days now with no heart rate zones summary after run. Those stats transfer over to linked Stava account which tracks relative effort / weekly range etc. Now my week and beyond will be dead in this regard because there’s no transfer of this heart rate data to the app. Please fix!

Best Answer

Problem with missing heart rate data while using Exercise app with GPS. Noticed it earlier this week. When I logged it manually the heart rate for that period appeared. I hope Fitbit will fix this problem.

Best Answer
How did you log it manually?

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

@SunsetRunner: By choosing “log” in stead of “track” in the Fitbit app when tapped the chrono icon. That way is does insert heart rate data in the exercise you add manually (since the data was recorded on the fitbit 24/7). But when you “track” your exercise live the heart rate data seems to be missing in the exercise overviews that are “tracked” from the beginning of this week somewhere. Time for a statement from Fitbit I would say...

Best Answer
Instead of "tracking" use "log previous" and enter the start time, duration and distance.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the info, it worked. I called customer service twice yesterday and the first suggestion was to restart the tracker and the turn off the heart rate and then delete the app. I did all of those and it still didn’t bring back the HR. The second call to them resulted in the suggestion of starting the exercise with the tracker. That worked for me, but I have never started the run with the tracker. It is frustrating!

Best Answer

Yes, they just need to fix whatever they did last weekend. It's a pain to log exercise that way just to get the heart rate data. Can't believe they haven't responded to all the posts on this subject.

Best Answer

I think starting with the tracker though doesn’t log distance and or pace / mile splits etc. Not sure but guess I’ll have to find out. If so it’s silly that we d have to determine what’s more important: HR or GPS data. I hope (and hear) the next gen Charge will have built in GPS; ionic is just too big. So back to this issue... it’s puzzling that this has not been corrected. 

Best Answer
It does both. What’s aggravating is that it worked perfectly until now and customer service doesn’t seem to know why it’s not working. Does anyone know if the Charge 3 has this problem?

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer