Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inaccurate Steps

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I recently purchased the Charge 2 and it's not accurately counting my steps I have read through the form and even tried suggestions. According to my Fitbit I have walked 3.31 miles in 5,633 steps. I should be over 6,000 steps. I wear it on my right wrist. Any other suggestions would greatly be appreciated. 

Best Answer
15 REPLIES 15

Welcome to the forums!

Have you changed the Handedness? I wear mine on the right but have it set to left. I get better results. Its under settings.

handness.png

Check out the discussion forums. Jump in and chat with us! Hope to see you around!

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

I too am having a similar issue. Spent an hour on the treadmill which counted my steps at 6236 but my Charge2 counted less than 4000. I find it hard to believe with this kind of technology and the cost that I have to swing my arms to get it to count my steps. 

Best Answer

I called customer support which was a waste of time had me walk the 100 steps which were on point only couldn't give me any solutions on the miles sent me an email on how to calculate my stride length. Which I had changed previously before calling.

Best Answer

I changed my handedness to left do I keep wrists as right? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I ran till 12 am and the Charge 2 tracker went from 25k steps to 22k steps. If you watch your dashboard closely, Charge 2 removes steps that were counted as you are running, Fitbit One is more sensitive and counts more steps, Alta is close to being right and Charge 2 steals steps 😞

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine did the exact same this morning I walked 20 steps look at Fitbit registered 104 steps went to kitchen to head out for work it went down to 104 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I was told that I had too many Fitbit trackers and had to wait till they all had the same number of steps before switching. I removed all the trackers from my dashboard and disconnected them from Bluetooth. Charge 2 still removed steps in the middle of a run. I was over 10k and send me back to 9k. I stopped running after realizing, that I could end with negative steps for the day. I have never seen a tracker that counts and takes away steps afterward. This tracker is a 🍋

Best Answer

Hi @JaedansGabby, did you try to change the handedness as @WendyB suggested? What was the result?  

Welcome to the forums @DMH3041, let me ask you something, so after 12:00 AM, did you continue running? I'm asking because it is not that your tracker remove your previous steps but because the tracker reset itself at midnight, and all the data changes. 

Let me give you a warm welcome to the Community! @SunsetRunner, let me explain to you that you can't compare the amount that your Charge 2 and the treadmill record because both use different technologies so of course you'll see a difference between them. Also, the wrist trackers count your steps based in the movement of your arms, so if you are using the treadmill and your hands are still, you won't get the same amount as if you were walking or running. 

I hope this helps guys! Let me know if you have more questions! 

Heydy | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Best Answer

I look at the Fitbit App to see my steps and the treadmill's speed. The step count bumps up and down like a malfunction, even after I removed all other Fitbit trackers from the app and not using them. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks! I have learned this just this week. Appreciate your comments
Best Answer
0 Votes

I had a Fitbit Charge and last September the back piece came off and it stopped working. I had it for 1.5 years and really liked it a lot! I bought the charge 2 to replace it and feel that's it's very inaccurate! My daily goal was set at 10,000 steps and I surpassed it more often than not. The only days that I didn't were when I worked on the computer most of the day or was sick and in bed. I consistently walked 6 miles per day in August and September (2016) and the steps recorded accurately at around 7,500 steps. Since I got the Charge 2, the same walk (route) logged only 3,500 steps??? I do an endurance spin class that is 60 minutes of solid spinning with my heart rate over 150 bpm for at least 70% of the hour and even when the Ffitbit is set to "spinning" it doesn't even break 1,500 steps??  I've been so unhappy with the charge 2, (it has other "issues" besides inaccuracy) that I stopped wearing it! I'm disgusted with it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

If you wear your Fitbit on your dominant hand but switch your information to indicate that it's on your non dominant hand, you're really not making it more accurate. You will log more steps but that doesn't necessarily mean it's more accurate. After going from the Charge, which was very accurate to the Charge 2 which is not at all accurate, I have a comparative. I just wish I could offer some advice. I just feel like this product is just not very good?? Smiley Sad

Best Answer
0 Votes

My Fitbit started going backwards today. I walked for over an hour after already walking 7800 steps, wanted to get my 10000 in. after an hour walk it said I walked a total of 5535. I paid to much for this to screw up after only 2 weeks. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I know my steps will disappear if I track my steps with the Charge 2, don't expect accuracy from this fitness tracker. You won't be disappointed, if you see it as a plastic watch.

Best Answer

Hi! 

Ive just joined the forum

and liking all the advice! My Fitbit says I’ve done 350 steps and I haven’t even got out of bed! Also I did a 6k run the other day and there are not many more steps than when I didn’t do a run or build up the same km duringhr day. I have a Fitbit charge 3 - any help would be awesome 😎 thank you 🙏 

Best Answer
0 Votes