Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does total steps count go down under "friends" category?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi All,

I am new to fitbit and this community.   I am just curious... in the total under friends... totals appear to go down.  For example I may have had 90K+ yesterday and today I have 70K?  Same goes for friends... my friend Alex had 113K, then it went down to 103K.   Shouldn't this just keep going up?

Best Answer
11 REPLIES 11

Never mind... I found this topic on the discussion board and answered my question!

Best Answer

Welcome to the Fitbit family @cnunez721! I hope you're doing well! 

It's great to hear that you found the answer 😄 can you be so kind to share the topic? That will help other users with similar inquiries. 

Catch you later! 

Magin | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you find something helpful, give it a vote and don't forget to mark it as an Accepted Solution!

Best Answer

They were a few sections (topics) that answered my question. All had the same responses.  The reason for the step count changes it's because it calculates the CURRENT day (today) with the last 6 days.  So depending on your daily step count this changes the total number under the "Friends" Icon (category).

Best Answer

@cnunez721 Thanks for replying back and for sharing this valuable information that will definitely help other users in order to get it fixed. 

Happy stepping! Catch you later :D. 

If you find something helpful, give it a vote and don't forget to mark it as an Accepted Solution!

Best Answer

Thank you for the reason behind this mystery! I was trying to figure it out myself and that was why I did a Google search. Now I'm not telling anyone and I'm going to beat their pants off! 🙂 HAHAHA

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the Forums @LovingLife13

It's great to hear that you got it sorted out. Robot Happy Have you checked our Discussions board? There you can share your story, find some fitness tipsrecipes and more! Give it a look!

See you around! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I still can't figure this out.  The math doesn't work.  Here's what I see for the last 7 days in my dashboard:

10549 (so far today), 26068, 12892, 8427, 5469, 11355, 5357.  That totals 80117, but Friends tab shows 69103.  I can't get any combination of days to add up to 69103, so I have no idea how Fitbit is calculating this.

Best Answer

I don’t really understand it either. There are the actual # of steps & then there’s the average that FB gives.. I was at 81k last night only to wake up to 75k?  Does anyone know the exact math equation for how they do this? 

Best Answer

Thankyou l was wondering this too, thanks for answering 👏

Best Answer
0 Votes

I know I kind of get discouraged, when I wake up and see that the numbers have went down. I am in competition with co-workers, and I have been trying to figure it out. I only needed 7000 steps to pass my co-workers, I walked 12000 and I looked again and them numbers had went down: very discouraging.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Maybe it could be a rolling average?  I.e. the old average is retained as one of the numbers averaged to get a new average.  This would likely be more fair so that someone that works hard consistently can't be overtaken so easily by someone that just kills it temporarily back had been inconsistent in the past.

Best Answer
0 Votes