Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps timing Out

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Is there any way of keeping an app live and not timing out and reverting back to display the clock

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Looks like I've found the answer, when version 2 was released, Fitbit added a 2 minute time out for apps.

App Timeout API

All apps targeting SDK 2.0 will now automatically terminate after 2 minutes of inactivity (after the display turns off). Users will now see their clock after waking the device again. This change was added to improve usability, and potentially reduce battery usage of unwanted apps.

https://dev.fitbit.com/blog/2018-10-05-announcing-fitbit-os-2.2/#app-timeout-api

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
8 REPLIES 8

@selwoc Once open the app should not shut down until you press the quit button (the left button on your tracker). If you would like the display to stay ON all the time you will need to contact developer of the app. You can use the contact link provided on the app page in the Fitbit mobile app. You can also increase the Display-ON-duration by going to Settings on your Versa, but that will make your battery drain and the longest display-on time is 60 seconds, I believe.

Marrrmaduke | Canada
Charge HR, Blaze, Charge 2, Charge 3, Inspire HR, Versa Lite, Versa SE, Aria

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for your reply Marrmaduke. I'm not worried about the display turning off, as long as it is still there the next time I raise my arm to look at it.
For example, the Fitbit Weather app is activated, but a minute, or so later, without me pressing any button,  the app has closed down and the clock face is now the active screen.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@selwoc I am not sure what's the max run time for the fitbit weather app, but I opened the weather app 6 minutes ago, my screen turned off and the weather app is still ON. Have you tried rebooting your tracker several times by pressing and holding the left and bottom right buttons until fitbit logo flashes?

Marrrmaduke | Canada

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've rebooted many times, I've even done a factory reset. It still reverts back to the clock after a minute, or so.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@selwoc weird. what is your firmware version and fitbit mobile app version?

Marrrmaduke | Canada

Best Answer
0 Votes

The Fitbit firmware is 32.331.30 the Android  app is the latest version updated on 14th January 2019.

My wife's Versa times out exactly the same

Best Answer
0 Votes

Looks like I've found the answer, when version 2 was released, Fitbit added a 2 minute time out for apps.

App Timeout API

All apps targeting SDK 2.0 will now automatically terminate after 2 minutes of inactivity (after the display turns off). Users will now see their clock after waking the device again. This change was added to improve usability, and potentially reduce battery usage of unwanted apps.

https://dev.fitbit.com/blog/2018-10-05-announcing-fitbit-os-2.2/#app-timeout-api

Best Answer

@selwoc Yes and no. It is true that the new default was introduced but it can be overriden by the dev. My weather app doesn't terminate. Neither my Nest app, etc. We're both running the same firmware and I am assuming have the Weather app up to date. So, I am not sure why you're observing a different behavior. 

Marrrmaduke | Canada

Best Answer
0 Votes