Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RESOLVED: Steps count increase while charging Fitbit Versa

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit Update: 9/09

Hi, Versa Fam! 

Thanks so much for your patience while our team continues to investigate and work on this issue. We're still working on this and I hope to have more information for you all very soon. 

As soon as there is a fix in place, I will make sure to announce that here. Please stay tuned and subscribed to this thread for updates. 

Fitbit Update: 7/25

Hey, everyone!

I know many of you are wondering what the status on this bug is and I'm here to reassure you this is still being worked on by our team. For anyone still getting ghost steps on their Versa's, we are definitely working towards a fix. I don't have a timeline for when the fix will be released, so I appreciate everyone's patience for the time being. I recommend if possible, placing your Versa on a different flat surface without any vibrations to prevent the extra steps. 

Fitbit Update: 6/21

Hi, everyone!

Sorry to hear that some of you are accumulating unwanted steps while charging your Versa's. Thank you for taking the time to report this issue here on the forums. Our team is aware of this affecting some of you and is working towards a fix on a future firmware release.

Thanks for your patience for the time being. Smiley Happy

Want to get more steps? Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
602 REPLIES 602

Nope. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
So trying real world comparison.
Fitbit versa v Garmin Vivofit 3 v iphone step (health app)
Both will be on same rist, same placement within 2 inches of one another.  So should count steps I would expect within 10% of one another.
Went comparing Vivofit with steps on Iphone that is approximate difference.  Will not be-able to share the iphone step count till End of Day tomorrow.  But will post other two comparisons today.
Best Answer

I think part of the issue is that this problem seems to get little exposure outside this heavily moderated forum.  As it's been months, and this issue has not been fixed, I think it's obvious, Fitbit's hardware/software priorities lay elsewhere such as perhaps attempting to implement the latest gee whiz feature to compete with the other smart watch makers of the world.  I wish this problem could get more heavy exposure in other fitness internet venues.  The Versa professional and personal reviews seem to overall lean more positive than negative but I think a lot has to that both professional and most personal reviews are done quite quickly after receiving the watch, primary based on first impressions rather than after a significant time of ownership.  In my Best Buy review, I stated the mystery steps as the reason why I returned the product but don't see (haven't looked recently) other users stating the same thing.

@slellis128 wrote:

They told me I had mine too long too... but I found a way. Anytime I post how I got a refund the moderators delete the post.

@SunsetRunner wrote:

Return it and get your money back if you can and buy a fitness tracker from another company.

They just say that they working on it for several months. 

I would return mine too, but I have it too long to return it.

I‘ve just charged my Versa and got more than 10.000 ghosts steps just from charging. 

Also if you use the bike riding activity you get ghost steps and floors every time.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Return your Fitbit now while you still can. You can see the date that this thread was started on. They are not concerned with fixing this problem, it has gone on for months and many of us are stuck with this faulty device instead of having a good watch made by someone else which actually works.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Yea today I got a notification that I had earned a badge for climbing so
many floors and I have not been off the ground floor all day. This is
something new for me to add to ghost steps. Sigh...will it never end.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Just got my replacement versa and it doesn’t work. Tracked 1000 steps while I was sleeping. I’ve been a Fitbit user for 6 years and this is very disappointing. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm sorry to hear that. I was hoping you would get a good one. Will you try to get a refund now?

Best Answer
0 Votes

They said I am not eligible.  It's in warranty so I don't understand why not.  Do they just keep sending me defective ones?  I need to call tomorrow.  This is extremely disappointing.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm going to send you a suggestion in a private message...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey everyone!

I hope you are doing fine. If your units are registering extra information while charging, I recommend checking if there was a fan or anything that may have been buzzing or vibrating on the same surface that your watches were placed.

If so, I suggest trying to place your Versa on a different surface without any vibrations and see if this issue persists. If it does, I recommend getting in touch directly with our support team, I know they will be glad to help you out. For a faster response you can contact them via chat.

Catch you later. Robot Happy

Alejandra | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you like something I recommended, I encourage you to mark that reply as "Best Answer". 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

hi all,

although I don't own a Versa, I've fully read all 489 posts in this thread, in an effort to understand what is going on with Fitbit before I make any purchase decision.  I suspect many of you may not like what you read below.  Some is "tech talk".

But first, my background: retired embedded low level software engineer, with considerable R&D and reverse engineering experience.  I also coded the tools that software engineers use.  Maintained 10 million lines of assembly language code, personally coded >1M lines, worked with hardware designers for new computer products, and a decent amount of hardware exposure as well.

Please correct me someone if I'm wrong, but the highest step count that anyone has seen on a Versa is 65535.  Most of you when you report ghost steps, round off to the nearest hundred or thousand.  Don't.  It may help when reporting, to provide the exact steps after charging but before actually moving the Versa.

From what I've read, Fitbit created a new OS for their Ionic and Versa models.  A good move, but a very bold one.

So what is going on inside the Versa?  I believe that the new OS itself is buggy, and is causing data corruption inside both the Ionic and Versa.  Data corruption doesn't follow any logic that you'll find documented anywhere, nor will it necessarily make any sense at all.  The fact that you notice patterns doesn't mean it won't suddenly break from that pattern, temporarily or permanently.  In fact when the cause of data corruption is removed/fixed in software, most developers don't even bother to fully trace through the chain of events that lead to the various, often spurious problems.  The "ghost steps" are not logged because the code that was written specifically to log steps was not the same code that changed the unsigned word (16 bit variable) that holds the step count.  The broken code (which I believe is in the OS) is writing directly to this variable, and probably also variables associated with GPS connection, and more (in the Versa).

Data corruption can be a very difficult problem to solve, and when it's happening in any embedded system (which all fitness bands are), it's exponentially more difficult to find.  Like trying to drive blindfolded, but able to listen.  If the fault was code running on the O/S and not the O/S itself, even that would be easier to fix.  What makes this even more difficult is that depending on what is required to fix the data corruption problem, it may require changing the interface to higher level software systems, and perhaps even external software, such as the device apps.  And so, getting the entire solution to owners may be a major problem in itself.

If I'm correct, don't bother thinking that "only some people are affected" or that it's a hardware issue, or that it matters which charger you use etc etc.  Also, forget about any fix of the type "if fitbit is charging then disable step counting".  Data corruption just stomps over anything it likes, and doesn't care about working in with the logic in any other part of the software system.

The ONLY acceptable fix is one that fully addresses all causes of data corruption.  It would be nice if that was the end of it and everything suddenly worked well.  But then you need to carefully examine what the effect is, of making those changes.  Why?  Because data corruption typically does two things.  It messes with variables in ways that are noticed, and unwanted.  But it also messes with variables in ways that are noticed, and wanted.  And then of course, all the things that aren't immediately noticed.  For example, a bug may be causing a variable to be cleared during boot-up.  Such an operation is quite often helpful and even required during initialisation of code.  But what if the programmer forgot to write the code to specifically clear that variable?  Once the data corruption problem is fixed, other bugs are free to come out of the woodwork.  The entire software system needs re-testing from the ground up, ALL functions, because usually, data corruption doesn't just keep to itself very well.  Unless the problem is extremely small in its scope AND the software engineer is very good at his job, it's highly likely that such a fix will bring about more problems than it appears to fix, at least initially.  But again, this is the only way that you can end up with a reliable, bug-free system.

Given that the share price of Fitbit has decreased so much over the years, one could be forgiven for thinking that they don't have a ton of cash to throw at something like hiring some very expensive, very experienced software engineers.  It's more likely that they will attempt to fix problems with what they've got.  And that may be enough, if they were not under pressure to complete the software systems by a date that suited the marketing people, rather than a date that is determined by WHEN ITS READY.

My suggestions to owners?  If so inclined, take note of the steps after charging and before moving your Versa.  You may notice a pattern, such as exact same number multiple times, not necessarily every time.  Never more than 65535, with 65535 being many times more likely than say 65103.  Zero is another popular number to corrupt variables with.  So that would look like your steps disappeared.  2nd suggestion: forget about trying to work out a fix either by yourself or in combination with other owners.  It will only frustrate.  If I'm correct, nothing you do short of getting a refund and looking at other brands will get a satisfactory fitness band on your wrist.  A replacement Versa will not do anything but eat up your time and cost you more money and frustration.  If Fitbit somehow does get around to fixing these issues fully, I'd suggest that you first troll these forums as well as youtube reviews and googles, to make sure that the entire system really does work properly, before shelling out any more cash.

You still want to explore this issue yourself?  When your Versa is less than half charged (quarter even better) and as soon as possible after midnight, place your Versa next to a fan or other vibrating device, until it's registered over 60000 steps, but not much more.  Take note of the EXACT step count.  Put the Versa on charge, and I'm betting that steps will suddenly decrease (instantly rather than progressively) to something much less than the original count on commencing charge.  Note that this doesn't happen every time, so whether you want to keep retrying is up to you.  If this is a hardware problem and the hardware is really saying that steps are being taken, then you'll instead always see steps increase.  It doesn't have to be >60000 steps initially, but try for at least 32768 (2^15).  Again, take note of EXACT step count before moving, and report both counts here.  Something else you could try is to check step count DURING charging, and if it has changed, move it enough to change the step count, then put it back on charge.  It just may go back to what it was before you shook it.

My best to all (owners).

Best Answer

I have both an Ionic and a Versa, and have never had these issues with either.  My only issue with the Ionic is battery life, which would be much better if they allowed the ability to offload the GPS function to your smart watch. 

When I do walk (5 days a week) I find that my Ionic is only good for 3 days (or less) before it must be charged.  My Versa does have issues, but not the step issues.  I find that the Versa is much less accurate in it's step count than the Ionic.

I tend to switch back and forth between the two.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Many bugs are easy to localise, a few are far harder to find and fix. Any shortcuts rely on scant evidence plus intuition. Last resort is sophisticated debug tools (eg able to catch changes to variables). We had those tools even in the 70s when I was writing firmware in assembler for embedded controllers. And in the 80s and 90s when I wrote in C and C++ for OS sub-systems, graphics cards, and scanners.

I accept your criticism that my intuition about the need to suppress off-wrist step-counting may underestimate the nature of the bug. You mention assembly code, which cannot protect against (eg) rogue pointers and buffer overruns. My guess is that FitBit OS, like many, is mostly in C, a bit safer than assembler but not by much. Inevitably the best way to avoid bugs is by disciplined coding practices, but you can't win 'em all.

Bug-finding has similar characteristics to crime-scene investigation, where it is key to avoid loss or corruption of evidence by non-technical intermediaries unaware of the significance or precise details, and ends up being recorded as something no more illuminating than 'there is a bug'.

You have exemplified this importance of precise details by your references to 32768 (hex 8000) and 65535 (hex FFFF), familiar territory for programmers, but lost on most humans. Missing from the forum is any request from a developer for information, but maybe that goes on elsewhere, such as developers using the products themselves. This would cut down the feedback loop time, which is critical to timely fixes.

Best Answer

Glen, very interesting post.  I'm an engineering technician who works with both hardware and software engineers (very interesting to see them try to blame each other on tough issues!) and I know just enough to understand where you coming from.  I suspect the same is true at Fitbit that's true at my company, there are much less resources available to throw at these problems then there was in year's past.  Fitbit hasn't been around all that long but I suspect they are running on a leaner staff then they were a few years ago.  I would THINK this would be a high priority issue but perhaps I'm wrong.

What really disgusts me is how they have responded to this issue.  Every few days a canned, essentially copy and paste message of "Hey guys we are working on this but don't worry, I'm here for you", that has been going on for several months now with absolutely no details as to what they consider the source of the problem (is it possible they really don't know after this amount of time?)  Or the passive-aggressive message, "Hey guys, maybe this problem is really caused by a vibration issue."  And then their refusal to refund money to people who have had several Versa replacements experience the same problem.

I was lucky to be able to return my Versa (Best Buy) within the return policy and now I'm relying on my old trusty Fitbit One but my opinion of this company has really soured.  I suspect that when my One dies, my relationship with Fitbit will be over.  I don't say this lightly.  I wonder how many other people feel as I do?

Best Answer

geepondy, I totally agree that trust in Fitbit has deminihed greatly. I have been a loyal fitbit user for years... but after this fiasco with the Versa and the hassles i experianced and the great lengths i had to go to in order to get a refund, i will never again purchase a Fitbit. AND I will advise anyone who asks me that they should avoid the company.

I do not believe I am not hard to deal with, or unreasonable, I understand sometimes there are issues that need fixed. But come on, this has been ridiculous! I went through 4 versas all with the same issue and was told by fitbit that the product was not defective!!

I explored my options and discovered a way to get a refund. However, anytime I post it so others would know what to do, the moderators delete the post. If anyone wants that info, just private message me and I will tell you what I did.

It took me less than 15 minutes, and it was free to do. And Fitbit offered me a full refund the next business day. This was after WEEKS of being told I did not qualify for a refund by fitbit support.

Best Answer

I am another one not trusting my Versa. Almost went to ER yesterday because of my heart rate. It’s not tracking my sleep.  Good grief Apple here I come.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My Versa has just started doing this. Very vexing. Doing a factory reset and reconnect to the app to see if that helps; It's very disappointing.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I received my Fitbit Versa the first of August, I read this post about ghost steps one week After I ordered my Versa, I was so concerned about this issue, I reported daily about what I went through, which was nothing compared to what all these good people have gone through. Although my Versa is not totally accurate, it is pretty close, ghost steps received may be about 100 more but not much. Never got ghost steps during charging. However even though my Versa does not do what all of these good peoples do, I will not ever purchase from fitbit again. The way fitbit has handled this problem is sickening to me and I can’t trust a company that blows these customers off constantly.  Again, I do receive a few ghost steps but not many. Other then that it works as it should.

Best Answer

Has this issue been fixed? Last night i went to bed w my Versa @ 8,000 steps, left it charging over night.  When I woke up this morning: yesterday’s step count at 15,000 and this morning @ 31,000 steps!!!! I already restarted the watch and it’s still the same. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Boombeana wrote:

Has this issue been fixed? Last night i went to bed w my Versa @ 8,000 steps, left it charging over night.  When I woke up this morning: yesterday’s step count at 15,000 and this morning @ 31,000 steps!!!! I already restarted the watch and it’s still the same. 

If you can post the exact number of ghost steps on this forum.  There are several highly experienced software programmers, electrical engineers and engineering technicians including myself monitoring this forum.  Also, if your Versa is approaching 65535 ghost steps does it "roll over" to 0 steps and then continue to count from 0?

Best Answer
0 Votes