Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RESOLVED: Versa setup issues

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Update: 08/31/2018: Hi everyone, and thanks for your patience while we worked to resolve this issue. The setup process should now be working normally, and you can follow the instructions here to pair a device to your account.

If you continue to encounter any difficulty with setup, please let us know.

Hi everyone! Thank you all for your reports of this issue.

I have forwarded your inquiries to our Product Team who is aware of this issue and actively working to resolve it. I will share updates with you all as soon as I receive them.

Thanks again for the reports.

Want to get more deep sleep? Join the discussion on our Sleep better forum.

Best Answer
105 REPLIES 105

Thank you for your updates and information on this most frustrating situation. This is my very first fitbit device and while on vacation we have spent probably 8 hours total trying to figure out what device between 6 people might make this thing work, or whose hotspot would fix the problem...ugggg! 

Hope this is fixed soon and not ever repeated. This is and was Fitbits one whoops with me!

Best Answer

No update yet, they did say 48 hours.  After probably over 100 or so attempts,  I have stopped trying to make the Versa I just purchased yesterday ‘work’. I will update this thread as soon as I receive a response from Fitbit. 

Best Answer

I had a fitbit versa since April and it was working fine.  I got a new phone today and it would not finish the set up due to the firmware update that had been an issue going on today.  I tried for several hours all afternoon.  The watch was stuck on the setup screen after the set up failed.  I finally got the watch reset and tried one last time just now.  The set up finally worked and everything is working correctly.

Best Answer
How did you reset the watch? I reset by holding left and bottom right buttons and it still didn’t resolve, using an iPhone 8. Thank you for your response.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hold all 3 buttons for about 15 seconds until the fitbit logo appears. Continue holding until the logo disappears, and then let go of the bottom right button only. Continue holding the other two buttons until the watch vibrates and then let go of the buttons and the watch should reset.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sandy1970: I did the same thing--the reset described--and was able to download the firmware and set up my Versa. At first, I was getting a red X error "data not cleared, sync & try again". I thought I had made a huge mistake because I couldn't get the error to go away. Then I removed the Versa in the Fitbit app and went through the setup from the beginning. This cleared the error and I was able to download the firmware. It took about 25 minutes to download, and another 5 minutes to install. Hope you are able to get yours to work!

Best Answer

Just a quick note here ... Purchased my versa in June and wouldn't setup on my pixel XL on Android 7 Oreo.. 

Ended up using my laptop pc , Bluetooth and wireless if I recall .... 

Maybe this can help someone. Firmware was the sticking point then I believe.. 

Also I did a simple reset tonight as my watch was black screen and not responding.. now all of a sudden I'm on firmware 32.32.10.20...

Don't know what I was on before that but it's working well now..

Best Answer

I wish setting up fitbit versa could be a form exercise. I have almost utilised 6-7 hours in past couple of days for set-up and firmware updates.

Giving an another try.

Reset Fitbit

Reinstalled app from app store

Initiated Set-up 

And waiting and hoping for the best ...

Best Answer

This worked for me tonight finally after hours of trying. My new Fitbit is set up. It took a factory reset on my Versa as you described. I tried doing the reset several times with no vibration at the end, but kept at it and finally got the full reset where it vibrated. After that, I removed and re-added the Versa in the app and restarted the update. Took about 30 min but it just got done and it’s working. Thanks so much for the tip!

Best Answer

I  can't seem to get the versa to vibrate when i try to do the reset. So frustrating 

Best Answer

I'm having the exact same problem and was told I need to look at the troubleshooting which I had already tried everything they had listed so I sent them another email and am awaiting reply 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Okay after 2 days and trying to factory reset and I could never get it to do the vibrate thing I tried it again and it vibrated and then displayed a red x after while and a message something about no data to clear just ignore that and continue to setup.

Anyway way hold all 3 buttons wait for the fitbit logo to appear and then 1/2 second after it disappears let go of the bottom right button this took me quite a few tries but it does work.

So I removed the past paired device from the fitbit app or you can uninstall and reinstall the app and now my update is on 57% before I didn't even get a progress bar.

Make sure nothing else bluetooth is connected to your phone while doing this, if using wifi make sure you have a decent connection.

Good luck!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Okay??

2nd attempt at this post since fitbit removed it O.o

I performed the factory reset and setup finished after uninstalling and reinstalling the app.

factory reset is done by holding 3 three buttons until the main logo with text disappears and just a fitbit logo appears wait for it to dissapear wait 1/2 second let go of bottom right button.

You will see a red X after a while ignore it and continue the setup from your fitbit app good luck.

You will see a blue progress indicator on the versa if you see this then you should be 🥇

Make sure you only have the versa connected to your phone and no other Bluetooth devices and have a decent wifi or mobile connection.

If this post is removed again I will not re-post.

Update: The setup finished and now my Versa is functional , 2 days of my life wasted but at least it's no longer a paper weight.

Good luck.

Best Answer

Same issue. Pretty excited to finally upgrade, as my Charge HR is falling apart. I purchased my Versa yesterday, in anticipation of a trip I am leaving for today. I have spent way too much time (hours) trying to set it up, only to have it fail yet again. Now I find it is a known issue? I have tried literally EVERY troubleshooting suggestion, multiple times, including all the ones suggested here, except updating it from the PC (only bcuz that one is in need of replacement also, and is too old). Hope the issue is resolved quickly.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Good morning Sandy1970 .  I had Success!!!.  completed the Factory Reset and then loaded the firmware update no problem.  I have a Versa that is actually working .... and i love it... 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I finally succeeded too. Managed to reset the fitbit and start from scatch on the app again and it did it. Thank god! Only took about 18 hours!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the Forums @Seppeb.

If you are having issues updating your watch, I recommend checking the help article Why can't I update my Fitbit device? and follow the instructions provide there.

I hope this helps, let me know the outcome. Man Happy

Alejandra | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you like something I recommended, I encourage you to mark that reply as "Best Answer". 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

nope does not help

Best Answer
0 Votes

no , it doesn't help . I tried over a thousend times !!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@MARKIIEE It's great to see that you've visited the Fitbit Community! Sorry to hear that your Versa isn't updating. What are you using to sync your Versa (phone or computer)? Try restarting your Versa and the other device. If you are using a phone go to your phone's bluetooth settings and remove all devices listed there. After this try syncing and updating your Versa.

Let me know how it goes!

Alvaro | Community Moderator

If a post helped you try voting and selecting it as a solution so other members benefit from it. Select it as Best Solution!

Best Answer
0 Votes