Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steps during elliptical/adding extra calorie burn

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I just got my fitbit versa a few days ago and I am really liking it so far but there is one issue that is driving me crazy!

I am logging an exercise on the elliptical with my watch under exercises with the timer and all. When I am logging it that way, it is also counting the steps, so I am getting a total calorie burn for that workout but then it also gives me extra calories burned for the day for those steps it is tracking during that same workout that has already been logged. Therefore my total daily calorie burn is off by those extra "steps". It doesn't even seem that it should count steps when I am not even technically stepping but just on a sedentary machine and am logging the exercise under the exercise app on my watch? I want my daily calorie burn to be accurate.

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

Hi @miranda36502!

That is interesting...I don't know if this issue is just specific with your device or if the Versa double counts the calories with steps and the elliptical exercise while on the elliptical machine. I always assumed that there's supposed to be steps counted because it is a stat that shows up on the Versa device when you toggle through the stats during workout.

I found that if you place your hands on the handle bars of the machine while doing elliptical, then steps would not be counted. Give that a try and see if your FB app is still double counting. I am planning to go to the gym tonight and elliptical wasn't on my mind, but now that you mention this, I will give it a try to see if I can replicate the scenario on my device as well.

Cheers!

Pixel 1, Android 9.0 | Versa
Best Answer
0 Votes

What is weird is I do normally put my hands on the non-moving handles of the elliptical. But during a 20 minute elliptical workout it said I took 1720 steps.

My total calorie burn according to the exercise app for that workout plus a weight training workout was 477 but when I go to my daily calorie burn for that time it is showing as total calories burned 547.8. That's why I think it is adding those steps in as calories burned in my total for the day.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@miranda36502 wrote:

What is weird is I do normally put my hands on the non-moving handles of the elliptical. But during a 20 minute elliptical workout it said I took 1720 steps.

My total calorie burn according to the exercise app for that workout plus a weight training workout was 477 but when I go to my daily calorie burn for that time it is showing as total calories burned 547.8. That's why I think it is adding those steps in as calories burned in my total for the day.

That is definitely weird because when I place my hands on either the moving or non-moving handles, it does not record any (or barely records) steps. That's how I noticed the step discrepancy in the first place because it wouldn't be close with what the elliptical machine says at the end of the workout.

However, my FB app does not show that double counting of the calories. I'll try again tonight and see if that's the case.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, 

I just wanted to give an update regarding the double counting of calories. I just did elliptical exercise and I noted my calories and steps before and after the exercise and my app did not double count anything.

Did you try another exercise to see if it's doing the same thing?

Best Answer
0 Votes