Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using connected GPS and Bluetooth earphones

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I found out that my versa has to connect to the phone via Bluetooth so it can get the GPS data when I do the running or bicycle outdoor, but if I like to connect my Bluetooth earphone, either to versa or to phone, the connection between versa and phone will break, and the GPS gone. So, GPS and music cannot get along? it is a strange design...

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
8 REPLIES 8

Nice to see you @lee.iken! Welcome to the Forums! 🙂 Great to hear that you are enjoying your Versa with your biking activities. 

Your GPS activity shouldn't affect your Bluetooth connection. Before starting a new bike activity, please make sure that your GPS signal is strong and it appears as connected on your Versa. If your GPS signal gets lost during your bike activity you might lose your map at the end of it. For more details you can check out the help article Why isn't GPS working on my Fitbit device?

I hope this helps, keep me posted! 😉  

Lucy | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you like my answer? Vote for it!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I use bluetooth earbuds on my walk, and use the GPS connected to the phone.  I have no issue with them both working at the same time.  I have an iPhone X, what type of phone do you have?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes. I'm finding similar issues. I've been resetting my watch, as I'm not picking up the GPS routing when listing to music via bluetooth on my phone. There must be a bug that needs to be fixed in the new release??

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the help @SunsetRunner! Great to hear that everything is working as expected for your GPS connected activity. 🙂 

@LesC1018 Thanks for stopping by! At the moment we don't have a reported bug with connected GPS. In the meantime, let's try fixing this. To make sure that your Versa is working correctly, please restart it as described here.

Also, you can try to restart your app by logging out from it and rebooting your phone. Once your phone is up, log back in and try starting a new rout using GPS connected and your Bluetooth earbuds. 

Keep me posted with the outcome! 😉

Lucy | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you like my answer? Vote for it!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the same problem with my versa 3 and bluetooth head phones. I was connected to GPS for my morning walk and decided to use my Bluetooth headphones for the first time. As soon as I got them out the GSP lost connection. WHen I put them away the GPS connection returned.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yeah me to. I find if I can the gps when going for a run then turn on my headphones the Versa will disconnect the gps and go back to ‘connecting’. When it does this it logs a random point on the run amd nothing else. The pace stats are all wrong to which makes it next to useless. 
I’ve tried every suggestion and nothing works. 
How can we report a bug?

Best Answer
0 Votes

So I have been running into this similar problem for the better part of a year, and have found a couple workarounds that seem to sort-of "fix" the problem. Maybe they can help for you!

For one, I have a Vera 2 and a Samsung Galaxy S9.

I usually run my phone on "battery saver mode," which typically limits the processing output of the phone. This is when the problem happens all the time. It's entirely possible that having it in power saving makes it so that running bluetooth on two devices (headphones and watch) AND running the GPS is too much, so it will sever functionality to keep the power consumption below what it's supposed to be. It could also be that the power saving mode closes apps that are running in the background after a certain time while in this power mode. The next time this issue happens, try opening the fitbit app on your phone. Does it open immediately right to where you left off or does it go to the "loading" screen for a bit before hitting your home page? If it's the latter, your phone probably force quit the app to save power, thus severing the GPS tie.

So the easy fix for me is to turn off power-saving mode when you are going for a trip.

I keep my Galaxy on the "optimized" power mode and typically don't run into this problem anymore!

The drawback of course is that having a constantly connected GPS and 2 bluetooth connections will drain your battery like you wouldn't believe, but I have a portable charger so it usually makes it through. Just make sure you know your way home!

Some other things you can do:
-Make sure the fitbit app is running on your phone. Typically I'll close the app, then open it back up again fresh right before I stop
-Connect your BT headphones before starting your trip. This makes sure there isn't anything funky happening when you connect the headphones.
-check and re-sync your connection occasionally on your trip. Make sure you have notifications enabled on your phone. If you look at your phone's lock screen, you should see something like "GPS connected" or "fitbit GPS is running". If you hit the drop down button on this notification, there should be a "sync" button. Hit that and your phone and watch will sync up, making ultra sure you're still connected. (This probably isn't necessary, but it gives me some peace of mind while I'm on my trip that it's being logged properly!)

Hopefully that helps!!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

CORRECTION CAUSE I CAN'T EDIT POSTS: DO NOT CLOSE THE APP RIGHT BEFORE YOU STOP.

CLOSE IT RIGHT BEFORE YOU START.

Best Answer
0 Votes