Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Versa counting too many steps

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Had my Versa for 2 days and it's counting over double the steps I'm walking. Any ideas?

Best Answer
55 REPLIES 55

That about sums it up, Geoff.  No amount of resetting, rebooting etc is going to fix it.  I hope it's a problem that can be fixed with firmware rather than an inherent hardware issue but you're right, very little response from Fitbit of a root cause problem or what's being done.  I returned mine but peruse the forums every few days to see if a solution has been offered. 
@tallgeoff wrote:

It appears to be an issue with the watch design. No solution from Fitbit yet. Many reasons/excuses.

Geoff

Moderator Edit: Removed Personal Information

Best Answer
0 Votes

You're correct! The versa design is very sensitive. I had my mine charging on top of my computer desk at night and I guess the fan's vibrations from my computer registered as steps. Moved the charger to an empty table and it has worked perfectly since! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Although it may be different in your case, I don't think the main Versa problem has anything to do with external vibration sources.  For many of who have awoken to thousands of "ghosts" steps, when we then go to check the step graph activity as well as distance traveled, there is nothing reported.  If the probably was caused by a vibrating source then there would be activity in the step graph as well as some estimated corresponding distance traveled.  
@lilfittybit wrote:

You're correct! The versa design is very sensitive. I had my mine charging on top of my computer desk at night and I guess the fan's vibrations from my computer registered as steps. Moved the charger to an empty table and it has worked perfectly since! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks but it is a flaw . Simply TOO sensitive. Others received new ones and no difference.

Update:
Compare your steps to other fitness trackers when you can. I went biking and had 29,000 steps. My wife's Garmin 2000.

Update:

Whatever the source it is a serious issue of inaccuracies. My latest was biking for 60 km and had 29,000 steps, my wife's Garmin showed 2000.
Too sensitive.

Geoff

Moderator Edit: Format / Removed Personal Information

Best Answer
0 Votes
I completely agree and told customer support it is unacceptable that this device is so sensitive. They did not have an answer.

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I reset my Versa 3 times last night and then shut it down.  Took it off my wrist and placed it on dining room table.  This morning turned it on and showed Zero steps.

Walked a few steps and went to 250, walked a few more steps and went to 400+

I'm now at 2100 steps and only walked a block.  This is really screwed up.

Yesterday, I walked 30 minutes on the treadmill at 4.0, 5 elevation.

Treadmill says 2 miles, 300 calories burned

Versa says 1.6 miles, 250 calories burned

I wear Versa on my left hand and my left hand was swinging back and forth for 30 minutes on the treadmill

Best Answer
0 Votes

I called about my issue and was told that if something is moving round your versa ut will count steps. I was offered a replacement but I will have to put it together. That is absurd. U am returning it 

Update:

The first excuse was it was plugged in the computer. The 2nd excuse was something vibrating in the same area as the watch when I refuted those 2 I was offered a replacement 

Moderator Edit: Format

Best Answer
0 Votes

That could be the problem
You nailed it
There may have been a flying saucer or UFO in my room

Update:
OMG
Tech support may have solved my issue
My wife was in the bedroom with the door closed
I thought I heard something vibrating
That may explain the extra 5000 unanswered steps

Moderator Edit: Format

Best Answer

Hi there fellows, thank you for your feedback and for your comments about the Versa is counting more steps that it should or is counting steps under other circumstances where should not be counting steps.

In these scenarios, is possible like @Jjilly was informed here by customer support. Whit draft of airs or vibrations are translated to steps, giving you an inaccurate count of steps for your overall numbers. Th reason of this is because this external factors can activate the sensor of the heart rate, hence your Versa will thing you are wearing the tracker. Rest assured these are not excuses, however I appreciate you have brought this to our attention.

For more details please refer to this article: How accurate are Fitbit devices?

Of course we cannot rule out other explanations, so for this I would like to recommend to try a restart: How do I restart my Fitbit device?

See you all until the next opportunity.

Roberto | Community Moderator

"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” What's Cooking?

Best Answer
Hello. Thanks for the reply. I certainly appreciate it. None of those
things are my issue and I completed a restart.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Roberto
Thank you for engaging on this issue. It is good to see the Fitbit company is monitoring our issues.
I'm afraid I don't understand your explanation due to grammar errors in the answer.
It is good to hear these explanations are not excuses. We all look forward to moving beyond explanations to solutions. Step counts are a core function that millions of trackers use personally daily and to compare with friends and family.
Please keep us advised of any solutions.

Geoff

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer

Hey @Sheilalinnette and @tallgeoff it's great to see you participating in the Community.

I don't know if you have already checked this but, I would like to know if there was a fan or anything that may have been buzzing or vibrating on the same surface that your Versa was placed? If there was, I recommend placing the watch on a different surface without any vibrations and see if the issue persists.

If there wasn't, as suggested, restart your watches, see how many steps you have so far, walk 100 steps and let me know how many the Fitbit registered.

Hope to hear from you soon. Smiley Happy

Alejandra | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you like something I recommended, I encourage you to mark that reply as "Best Answer". 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

If unwarranted steps were caused by a vibration source, wouldn't the activity show up in your step graph?  I'm assuming an external vibration source would trick the accelerometer into thinking there was step activity and hence it would register as such.  In my case and many others, there was no step graph activity despite the device registering thousands of steps.

I suggest all who have this issue and come across this thread to check your step graph activity to see if the steps were registered or not.  Likewise the distance traveled should increase as well. 

@AlejandraFitbit wrote:

Hey @Sheilalinnette and @tallgeoff it's great to see you participating in the Community.

I don't know if you have already checked this but, I would like to know if there was a fan or anything that may have been buzzing or vibrating on the same surface that your Versa was placed? If there was, I recommend placing the watch on a different surface without any vibrations and see if the issue persists.

If there wasn't, as suggested, restart your watches, see how many steps you have so far, walk 100 steps and let me know how many the Fitbit registered.

Hope to hear from you soon. Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine counted steps as i washed my hands. There is definitely no breeze.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Fitbit asked me to conduct a 100 step test. Versa was very accurate but after the test I did move and wave my arms around while looking at the app and steps were still being recorded. Whatever the cause my unit over records.

Geoff

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sorry to say, but Versa is counting false steps in various situations, as the firmware settings and/or algorithm for the G-sensor seem to be way to sensitive compared to other Fitbits (e.g. the Charge2). So any bump or external vibration may lead to false steps 😞

- cycling

- charging

- driving

- fans, fridges or other ext. vibrations 😉

Fitbit reads this in the forum since many month - no Firmware update so far:

Best Answer

I have been using Versa for the last two weeks. Suddenly today it started counting steps when i was wearing the watch and sitting in my office cabin.. since morning it counted 7500 steps more that waht it should be approximately without much activity.

some serious issue i guess ....

Best Answer
0 Votes

541 pm my Versa shows I took 16,186 steps since I got up at 630am.  No way did I come near that.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I could figure out....why there was over counting...

when I keep versa on my table....vibrations from near by machines. From our shop floor.....transmitted to the table and ...are being counted as steps 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am too having problems with too many steps counted. I went for a motorcycle ride with my boyfriend and when we got to our destination I had 15,000 steps. I have read so many forums to find a solution. I found what seems to be a good article with some help. I have made a few changes and I am hoping it helps.

https://www.wareable.com/fitbit/how-to-calibrate-fitbit-3031

Best Answer
0 Votes