Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why no GPS on the Versa?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have read that you need to get the special edition of versa for GPS?  Why the difference?  Why did they just not include it all in one watch?  Also -- what difference does no GPS make?  Just in logging your exercise paths?  

Best Answer
105 REPLIES 105

I used to like Garmin. Now they seem like a niche player, catering to serious athletes.

To me, sport watches look terrible and I would only wear one while exercising.

I'm not sure Garmin has a good reputation for non-buggy products either, and they may have already missed their opportunity to be relevant.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Well the Garmin 235 tells the time when I am not running and has gps when I am I am more than happy with my Garmin than I was with the Fitbit Versa

Get Outlook for iOS
Best Answer

I would LOVE to see fit bit offer GPS on the versa.  I was between the Apple Watch and the ionic because I wanted GPS.  I went with ionic because I have loved my previous fit bit products.  Although I love the function of the ionic, I’m disappointed with how large it is.  I am female with slender wrist and it looks too large on me.  I love the sleek look of the Versa.  I would gladly pay the price increase if fit bit made a GBS version of that watch.  

Best Answer

Give it time...I bet Fitbit with come out with Versa model with GPS

Best Answer
Too late in my case returned my Fitbit and purchased the garmin forerunner 235 very pleased with it Fitbit are losing a chance in the market

Get Outlook for iOS
Best Answer
0 Votes
I was so disappointed I am trying the Garmin Vivosport. So far it isn’t a bad option, just hated switching from Fitbit
Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't know why they excluded gps.  I find phone gps is not the same as watch gps.  And if I run I still use my tomtom watch. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, just wondering why the no GPS on the versa, it has sooo much cool features to offer people and the lack of this one feature kills the device for me. Is it a cost based decision not to include (no idea if a large portion of these devices is centered around GPS) but seems so odd to divide the market with the exclusion of this. I was just about to purchase a VERSA and then realized there was no GPS killing my requirement to track my runs or football sessions (not always possible to have my phone near by). Are there any plans in the future to build a VERSA style device with GPS? Personally I think all smart/sport devices should include GPS, pre requisite feature in my opinion, thank you. 

Best Answer

They have ionic with gps. If they release versa with gps just a few months after ionic release its like they are killing the ionic sales. With versa they target to different kind of people who don't care so much about build-in gps module and they are happy with connected gps, and maybe most of them will not even use it.

Best Answer

I understand that, just very strange omission on the VERSA as it polarises the target market.
Versa looks so cool and funky but why not just include this feature. From the majority of this thread we all feel it was a very silly omission on their part. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Another bad decision. Returned to amazon right now.

Best Answer
0 Votes

So you bought it without checking to see if it had GPS first?

Best Answer

I've thought about having onboard GPS but I carry my phone for music and emergency email ect. GPS is GPS across the board whether be connected GPS or built-in. The difference here is the Ionic has buil-in GPS Gloneass it has more satellites and connects a little faster with-in seconds. My GPS on the Versa connects with-in 5 -10 second 

@N8teGee wrote:

I think you mean NFC (Fitbit pay), only the special edition will have the required NFC chip. As for GPS, none of the versa's will feature onboard GPS although you will be able to use connected GPS (connecting to your phone and using its GPS) 

Best Answer
0 Votes

There should have been gps in the Verso.

Best Answer

I feel putting the GPS in the Fitbit Versa as and option  would be great. Make some without and some with. The versa wouldn't compare to the ionic because the ionic is bulky and square and it's not very feminine. The Versa however being softened around the edges has a more feminine look to it and is more appealing to women. I just got the Garmin vivoactive 3 for Christmas and while there are some features I like about it the main thing I like is the GPS however I still like the Fitbit overall much better. From the app to the screen look to the way it tracks. I just wish that they would put a GPS in the Versa as an option if you want to purchase it. Hopefully they'll come out with something like that but for now I will complete my 10K's with my Garmin GPS built-in becaus who wants to carry a bulky phone on long runs?

Best Answer

This post does not acknowledge the fact that many Versa owners have a LOT of issues with getting  connected GPS to work at all, especially when in cycling mode.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Are you kidding me! My Surge was great, had to have 3 because a water resistent watch kept dying from rain! After that warrenty was done, I went to Garmin Vivo Active HR and that unfortunately died and they don't make it anymore. Just was forced to come back here to Fitbit and NOW after a 5K I find out I DON'T HAVE GPS! As a runner this is a serious issue! I don't own a cell and I shouldn't have to run with one....looks like this is getting returned, so flipping annoyed! 

*Better identify what connected GPS is on your packaging!

Moderator edit: Word choice.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Why do we purchase a fitness tracker? So we DON'T have to take our heavy phone on a run. If we have to take the phone on the run, why do we need a Versa? Thank you, no, this is going right back to the store. I'll just buy a watch and be happier for it.

Moderator edit: Word choice.

Best Answer

Hi @Renzryd, thanks for stopping by! @SunsetRunner welcome to the Fitbit Community! I greatly appreciate your feedback, it is always useful.

Thank you for the time you took to share your thoughts with us. We're constantly striving to improve Fitbit products and services and we very much appreciate all of the input we receive from our customers. The best place to make your voice heard is the Ideas board on our community board Feature Suggestion. I invite you to vote for this suggestion: Built-in GPS for VersaPlease take a moment to visit and share your comments. 

If you have any further questions, please let me know. 

GraceG | French and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

On ne voit bien qu’avec le cœur. L’essentiel est invisible pour les yeux. ♥

Best Answer
0 Votes

I almost bought the versa to replace my tracker. The ionic is ugly. But that GPS on the is wrist everything. 

Best Answer
0 Votes