IFTTT Integration

When will Fitbit support IFTTT integration? I was thinking of upgrading my Fitbit One to a Fitbit Force, but without IFTTT integration the Jawbone UP, which supports IFTTT and is the same price as the Force, is looking like a better option.

Moderator Edit: Updated label

24 Comments
gohonz
Stepping Up

Many people have been asking for this support for a while. Fitbit does have a set of Developer APIs that allow other apps to read your activity data. There are 3rd party apps that can read your Fitbit data and do its own thing with it (perhaps IFTTT support through them?). I tried my luck at developing my own app, using some free app hosting in the cloud. With my app, after receiving data from my Fitbit account, it pushes notifications to IFTTT using the email channel for the trigger. Of course, this doesn't allow me to setup conditional tags or ingredients. So, it will be a welcome addition once there is IFTTT support.

Michael
5K Racer

I suggest that not only do people vote here for this, go over to IFTTT and submit it as a suggestion: Suggest a Channel

Either Fitbit or IFTTT could create the channel. (Or someone else if IFTTT opens up a public API.)

vikrampanjwani
Premium User
First Steps

Is there a way basic actions of Fitbit devices can be exposed onto an IFFT Channel. Lots of interesting automation options would exist.

Michael
5K Racer

I assume you mean IFTTT (If This Then That), not IFFT.

You might want to vote for the other idea posting for this, so that the votes all go to one place: IFTTT Idea Post

(Maybe Fitbit can merge the two idea postings.)

Michael
5K Racer

Actually, I'm not sure Fitbit can do this right now since it seems that IFTTT hasn't got a public API. However, they do take requests from hardware vendors to do integrations so Fitbit could push IFTTT to start a collabrative project.

jnhearne
Base Runner

I use Syncmetrics to get data from Strava to Fitbit.  But if Fitbit could somehow figure out personal RSS feeds, then using IFTTT would be possible with out API business.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable
MatthewFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Anyone interested in IFTTT should check out today's Fitbit Blog post on the subject, located here.

You'll also find the Fitbit IFTTT channel here.

Status changed to: Released
MatthewFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

If only it included an action to activate the vibration alarm with triggers.

squaresine
Recovery Runner
Status changed to: Released
zapleahy
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Thanks for your interest in Fitbit + IFTTT! You can now connect your Fitbit goals, activity, sleep, and more to IFTTT's over 100 Channels. Fitbit's IFTTT channel with example "recipes" can be found here: https://ifttt.com/p/fitbit.

Scott_
Base Runner

I just upgraded from a Flex to a CHR. No complaints and I can't wait to see what cool things you folks do with this thing on my wrist.

I've used IFTT to offload my daily weigh-ins and activity logs to Google Drive and I'd like to include my Heart Rate data if I can. I'd also like to be able to get that data on MS HealthVault if it's possible.

Thanks, and keep making cool stuff!

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
DerrickS
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Thank you for sharing your feature request with us. We will be sure to pass it along for further review.

Rashboots
Recovery Runner

I'd love this, it's good to see my resting heart rate go down over time but i'd like to be able to export this!!

Michael
5K Racer

I would like to see a new action added to the FItbit IFTTT channel: The ability to change the step goal.

One way this could be used is that you could make a recipe that increased your daily goal by 5k every time you hit it. (And another recipe to change it back to your original goal at the start of each day.)

This would allow me to get the goal met vibration notice everytime I exceed my goal by another 5k. It would be great to keep me going past my goal and give me a progress without having to look at my Fitbit.

deandsmith
Recovery Runner
I wish the HR could accept more ITFFF actions. If it could accept a action request for a short tiny alert like when I receive a phone call, amazing recipes could be setup in this light little nice watch tracker. Thanks for the opportunity to make a request.
Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Ifttt alert for phone calls would be an Android or ios trigger, not fitbit. You might want to ask ifttt.

gulbrain
Jogger

Yes - one could setup an IFTTT alert for phone calls, but to display the alert on the FitBit Charge [HR] would require input from FitBit to present a notification channel for the IFTTT developers to key into.

I already get* phone call alerts on my Charge, but an alert for oodles of other things using IFTTT as the trigger and the Charge [HR] display/vibrate for the delivery would be fabulous.

* this has stopped ... I'll seek help here shortly.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Ifttt doesnt have any triggers for phone calls, it does however can send text messages. Unfortanately the Charge and HR can not recieve Texts. 

gulbrain
Jogger

The idea is to create a recipe such as:

If "Any new SMS received (on android)", then "show 'SMS {sms text}' on FitBit Charge display and vibrate"

the "then" part requires FitBit and IFTTT work; hence the suggestion here.

This would then enable:

If "event starting soon on Office 365/Google calendar", then "show event name/location on FitBit charge display and vibrate"

or:

If "you are tagged in a Facebook photo", then "show who tagged you on FitBit Charge display and vibrate"

Phone call notifications are already done.

Does that clarify what I'm thinking?

Thanks,

Tim

Rich_Laue
Community Legend
Does ifttt have a trigger for sms messaging?
gulbrain
Jogger
Yes - on android it can act when an SMS is received in your device where the app is installed and it can also have an SMS channel enabled to act when an SMS (with/without a specific tag) is received by your IFTTT number (appears to be USA - I haven't explored or tested).
BitScout
First Steps

Exactly what I requested on Twitter (@BitScout)

IF "thing happened" THEN "display 'thing happened' on my FitBit"

I'm using a Charge 2, and as a software developer I can say: If you can push SMS to it, random texts aren't THAT difficult.

The app is on the phone, connected to my Charge 2 and a FitBit server, which in turn can interact with IFTTT. Voilà!

Also, more events would be cool, of course:

- Falling asleep (for turning off lights and music)

- Waking up

- Heart rate above / below (might be more difficult, since it has to be compared constantly to the selected value)

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.