A back button for music control.

Its clear that a back button when listening to music is essentials, its why its a part of every music app. A simple button in the upper left corner would suffice, or a swipe back on the music control screen since it currently isn't assigned a function on this screen. Its a simple thing that would give users the feel of of full control of their music. It's the only thing that makes me unhappy with the product.

Moderator edit: :Labels

23 Comments
surge1
Recovery Runner

I love my Surge, upgraded from the One after two years.   Currently the music control functionality is limited to play, pause and forward.  It would be great to have a rewind (reverse) feature too.  I sometimes hit the forward button to0 quickly and pass a song I actually want to hear.  I then have to take out my ipod and hit the rewind button on it.  Not a big deal but it would be a convenient feature to have built in to the Surge.

Dulock
First Steps

I felt a little disappointed when I realised you can only skip music forward and not repeat or skip back on a Surge device paired with an iPhone... with 3 buttons and a touch screen it must have a way. As simple as double click to the skip button to go back and just a click to go forward. Please add this feature in the next update! Amazing device by the way 😉

mattyboy
Strider

I was hoping to use the media controls on the Surge for skip fwd/back while listening to podcasts. The fwd button does indeed pair up to podcast app's skip fwd (30 seconds) feature, but the skip that is really needed for podcasts is skip back.

+1 for this feature request, thanks Dulock!

Yeepers
Recovery Runner
Besides skipping/forward, play, and stop it would be great if you could go back, increase/decrease volume!!
Edgario
Recovery Runner

Agree 100%.

supermom724
Jogger

I would really like to see the Music Control available for Android.  I just purchased the Surge.  Was very excited about my new device.  Now I am very disappointed that I cannot control my music while running/walking with my Surge because it is not compatible with Android.  I have a Galaxy S5, Android 5.0.  This is a deal breaker for me and will be returning my Surge very soon if this cannot be updated in a release.  This was not listed on the back of the box -- had to be an IOS user for the Music sync.  Please quit leaving us Android users out.  

DavidmH
First Steps
Hello all! I love the Fitbit Surge. I went through quite a bit of GPS watches until I found this one. I teach group fitness classes and I love the idea of using the watch to help control my music. I only wish I could go back a song or even restart a song from the watch. Right now we can only skip forward and pause songs. Does anyone else want this feature added in a future software update? Thank you!
DavidmH
First Steps
Hello all! I love the Fitbit Surge. I went through quite a bit of GPS watches until I found this one. I teach group fitness classes and I love the idea of using the watch to help control my music. I only wish I could go back a song or even restart a song from the watch. Right now we can only skip forward and pause songs. Does anyone else want this feature added in a future software update? Thank you!
DavidmH
First Steps

I wold love this function as well!!!

Mayner
Recovery Runner
Hi there! I recently purchased a Fitbit Surge and I'm generally very pleased with it. However, it's not perfect. One of the main features I use is the Bluetooth music control, as I am a group fitness instructor. It's great to be able to pause and play music from my wrist in Les Mills Bodypump classes without having to keep walking back and forth to the sound system un the gym studio. This allows me to set the class up for the next track without moving from my position at front of studio. However I find it disappointing that the track forward button doesn't work when using my Android phone, and that there is no support for my Ipod Nano. Also, a really useful feature for me would be a track backwards button (in case I don't manage to hit pause in time before the next track starts). This would avoid having to scroll through all the other tracks to get back to the right place. Just a few ideas to help make a good product great! I'm guessing that these niggles could be sorted with a firmware update? Thanks for listening 😀😀
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
FerdinandFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hey! Good news! This feature will be available in the new Fitbit Blaze as well as the possibility to adjust the volume on the tracker! Place your pre-order here

Thanks for stopping by! Woman Wink

tmiranda42
Jogger
The music controls needs a "previous" button so you can go back to previous songs and not only skip to the next ones.
Djflip
First Steps
Previous track feature in music controls is absolutely needed in an upcoming software update. Pretty obvious functionality need that was overlooked
DDube
First Steps

A back button is a simple step, but why only do 10% of the job properly?

#1: Option to add music controls to my clock face. It's cold in Canada, trying to reach on the other side of the blocky watch face to reach the home button is near impossible with a long sleeve shirt and parka on.

2. Back button (Double tap top button)

3. Volume control (Hold the top or down button)

4. Hold the home button to activate SIRI would be fantastic. The world is moving progressively towards voice control, but it seems that most devices don't account for this in their controls. It should be an option in the bluetooth controls, after all my car can do it...

SwollenGoat
First Steps

Just got my surge today.  fidling with it before my first workout.  I am very dissapointed in the music control options.  This and the GPS were why I chose the surge over other options; no back button or volume control?!  I will keep this for a couple of days and decide if its now worth it or not.  Fitbit needs to be more clear on what this device can and cant do.  Saying the surge can cantrol your music is a pretty far strech.

jasinthebasin
First Steps

This a real pain for me. Would love to use a back button

Lachs
Recovery Runner
I believe @Fitbit should use a back button on the surge like the new blaze
mattyboy
Strider

It's been almost a year since I added my agreement to this feature request but there's still no sign of a back button for the Surge music controls.

I drive a lot and use the time to listen to podcasts. Often my concentration on the road means I miss something important said in the podcast and need to skip back, but without this feature on the Surge I have to feel around on the passenger seat for my phone, press the unlock button, press the volume key, then look across to tap the on-screen [<<Back] button.

Every time I do this I think "I wish my Surge had a back button!".

GenericName
First Steps

I think it is absurd that the only solution to this issue is to spend a few hundred dollars to buy a new fitbit. The only reason I bought a Surge over a Charge HR was for the advertised music controls which did not state the limited features.

The main control I wanted was for the previous track and that is nowhere to be found on the Surge even though it is more expensive than the Blaze which actually has it.  I'm sure it is a simple software solution as easy as swiping to the right and left for previous or next track.  

Even if it was too much effort to do the animations for that, simply allow the "next track" button to act as a previous track button if held for more than 2 seconds. Either way, both options can be solved with a software update. You have the ability to make the more expensive watch worth the purchase but you are holding back for some reason.

I have only had the Surge for the past couple days and i'm just getting more annoyed with it as it doesn't do what it advertised in store.

jasinthebasin
First Steps

I agree. No way i'm buying another fitbit if this is their attitute. "Hey that software update you need is available when you buy a new watch" what a load of **ahem**. I just bought my surge and what all fitbit wants to do is make me buy a new one? Definitely last fitbit device I buy after seeing this comment.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable
It would be a great added value that would help compete with the apple watch to have music control on the alta. Just a minimal control would be enough, skip previous pause could make the decice much more complete !
Absolutely agree that music control needs more than just pause/resume and skip to next song
Status changed to: Released
LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Edgario and commenters, thanks for your suggestions. While we don't currently have plans to implement this on other devices, greater music control has been implemented on Ionic including volume control, replay, back, forward, shuffle and pause as well as changing audio device and output. You can learn more about Fitbit Ionic at https://www.fitbit.com/ionic, and the rest of the Fitbit family of products at https://www.fitbit.com/compareThanks for sharing your thoughts and feedback with us.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.