Ability to adjust the Relax app settings

Can you add a page that either on app or in on the charge4 let’s a user change the settings for the breath app.
Four settings follow:
1 inhale duration
2 exhale duration
3 inhale vibrate reminder
4 exhale vibrate reminder

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject and updated label

16 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Randy7777777, and thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about being able to adjust the settings of the Relax app with us. We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. If this suggestion receives votes from other customers and gains popularity, it will be shared internally with various teams at Fitbit. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Watch this space for status updates. In the meantime, try visiting Health & Wellness to talk with other members about all things health and fitness.

Randy7777777
First Steps
Okay thanks. Hopefully others see value in it.
climbhigher
Jogger

I agree with this suggestion. I try to use the relax function, but the inhales and exhales are way too short for me. I end up light-headed at the end of the 2 minute session. I would love to be able to customize the inhale/exhale duration so that it actually allows me to relax and deepen my breathing.

maggie8347
First Steps

I agree (I just purchased an Inspire HR). I like the idea of the Relax feature, but I would like to be able to use my app to adjust the breathing pattern to something that feels more relaxing to me. 

muddyfoot
Base Runner

Please make this happen. The app breathing rhythm is way too fast. I get dizzy and just cant do it for 2 whole minutes. Anyone who can hold their breath for long periods of time or have previous training in slow deep breathing will find it way too fast as well.

al3xis
First Steps

I agree, it would be great if we can adjust the inhale and exhale duration as we're able in other app like Calm.

Thanks,

tatejw
First Steps

I just got a Versa 2 and I love it. What I don't love is the relax app, which has to be one of the worst guided meditation tools I have ever tried. Between the wrist buzzing, the too-fast breathing guide, the "low alignment" scolding, it's actually a stressful experience and definitely not relaxing.

Moderator edit:  updated subject for clarity

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
JuanFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @tatejw , and thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about  the modification of the Relax app with us. We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. If this suggestion receives votes from other customers and gains popularity, it will be shared internally with various teams at Fitbit. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Watch this space for status updates. In the meantime, try visiting Health & Wellness to talk with other members about all things health and fitness.

sylviaadb
First Steps

I totally agree! I just got my Inspire 2 and was surprised that they'd call this a relaxing exercise. It would be great if you could set the inhaling/exhaling/pause time manually, or to choose from some options. The smartphone app Breathly can serve as a very good example. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

In addition to being able to set inhale, hold inhale, exhale and hold exhale times in the app, it would be great if the app was more dynamic, if the user is breathing more slowly than the rate suggested by the app, adapt to that and see if the user can keep that breathing rate regular, and then maybe show at the end how regular the breathing was, with minimum, average and maximum time between inhale and exhale and exhale and inhale, maybe also suggest holding times at fully inhaled and exhaled, as those allow altering/lowering the pulse if done right.

Beetree
Base Runner

I've been unhappy with the relax app ever since it came out. I was very excited when it was first released. But you're absolutely right. The breathing is waaaaaaay to fast. I feel like I have to hyperventilate in order to "have good alignment". Every time I decide to give it another try my heart rate always increases by the end of a session instead of decreasing. I needs to be tweaked. Maybe adapted to each persons deep breathing rate or something. I never use it.

Gardener1234
Stepping Up

Please make the “sensing” part of Relax more accurate, and allow users to adjust the breath rate. It’s way too fast (though I saw a post in another forum that it was too slow…so adjustment is necessary both directions). It should also gradually slow down over the course of the session, or at least have that as an option to choose. Currently it is not relaxing at all. 

Sam_E
First Steps

I have this issue as well, and I hope it gets updated eventually. The breathing speed is way too fast for me, and it actually increases my heart rate instead of relaxing me! I looked at the rating and there are 4.4 stars on the 'relax' app so obviously lots of people do like it how it is, but maybe give us an option of which type of breathing exercise we would like? Maybe 'regular session' and 'deep breathing session'? Please? This app has so much potential! 

Erinnull
First Steps

I agree, thr breath sync is way too fast. I like to engage in box breathing, 4-7-8 breathing, and 4-6 breathing texhniques. Research on breathing shows that the longer the exhale compared to the inhale, the better the parasympathetic nervous system responds and overrides the sympathetic nervous system. It would be great if this app was aligned with science and offered options for different breathing techniques as well as customization.

Daiti2
Jogger

The versa 2 relax app is indeed too fast, as others have pointed out. The most recent research (2023) concludes that it should guide us to 6 SIX breaths per minute, that is, 10 seconds per breath with the emphasis being on a lengthened exhalation. The research is in the journal "Cell" on January 10, 2023. The report title is: 

Brief structured respiration practices enhance mood and reduce physiological arousal

I'd give the link, but the Fitbit says (incorrectly) that it's an invalid html.  A search will bring it up. It's open access.

Willyum
First Steps

Yes please! It's too long for me. Please allow us to edit the times for the breathing cycles, everyone has different lung capabilities and sizes

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.