Able to create a custom meal and indicate number of servings

I would really like to be able to build a recipie and then indicate how many servings it makes and how much I ate and see nutritional break down by servings too.  I think it would way easier than trying to enter all ingredients then when its time to eat the leftovers I can just add the recipie serving.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject and updated label

743 Comments
brak
Recovery Runner

Yes, this would be a great addition to Fitbit!

Currently, I use Calorie Count from about.com (caloriecount.about.com) to build receipes, and for as quirky as the mobile site can be, it's really good as you can just type your ingredients (or cut and paste) and click a button and it will analyze the text and sort out the Cups and the 1/8s etc. 

But then comes having to take the nutrition facts from Calorie Count and plug them into Fitbit's create a food window, which admittedly is a 1st world problem, but if Fitbit wants to be a one-stop-shop, this would be huge!

ljdice49
Jogger

I am having a problem getting the calories for making my own receipes.....I have a soup that has different ingredients and no way of puting it together even in the create a meal.  To do the create a meal I have entered all the ingredients and have a whopping 1500 calories but I am only going to eat 1 cup of this gal of food.  Would be nice to be able to adjust that...but it won't let me.  This is not the only thing I make either.  HELP, please

Rica927
Premium User
Jogger

I agree with everything Greypaws said in the original post.  Fitbit, please add a recipe builder function! I would be more apt to track in the food journal if this functionality was there.  I only use it occasionally because it is so time consuming to add recipes and since I like diversity I am always trying new ones.  Thanks!

Lakes2
First Steps

I prepare most of my own food and so a feature to portion a recipe would be very helpful.

Dmgittschau
First Steps
i wish the Fitbit App had a recipe builder. For now I have to use another app to build my recipe and then add a custom food to the app to keep track of my calories.
theshockwave
Jogger

Too true.  I'm really surprised that we don't.

Currently I'm using my old Livestrong account to create the recipe and then make a meal for one serving using that information.  That works, but it's a pain and if I ever change the recipe I have to go through the entire process again.

Tipsicowest
First Steps

Was suprised.  I'm using the one from BodyBug and it is excellent.  But I don't know how to intergrate it.  

I eat very little processed food so I need a way to put in what I cook.  I would think for serious users it would be a must

Vote for it.

Dmgittschau
First Steps
I'm a serious user. I measure all of my food, it drives people crazy but I like to know exactly what I am eating. I will even bring my scale to people's houses so I don't go overboard!!! Jumping from app to app is a pain 😞
InJenUity
Premium User
Jogger

I really try not to buy a lot of processed food too, and a recipe builder would make it a lot easier to track what I'm eating.  I just got my FitBit a few days ago, and I'm really finding that I love the platform though!

Vorpsgirl
Recovery Runner

Yes!  Please, please, please add a recipe builder!  There are very few down falls to the dashboard but this is one of them.  I try really hard to not eat processed food but accurately charting my intake is so much harder when there is no barcode to scan.  If there were a recipe builder then I could easly put all the food in and then have it divide the recipe into portions.  If there were a save feature and and maybe even a healthy recipe database so we could share that would be great too!!!

Nightelfdruid
Jogger

Agreed!!  I ate a bowl of soup that I made the other day, and I have no idea how to log it.  I cook alot of things, and not being able to put in my recipes is a BIG deal.

JustinC
Jogger

I also agree that there needs to be some kind of recipe calculator. My math is horrible, and people say to download a completely different app and I did just for that feature, but I'd like to stay loyal to FitBit..

sharlak
Premium User
First Steps

I agree. I used to do Weight Watchers and use their fitness tracker. If WW can do it surely FitBit can?? When you are trying to lose weight you eat at home more anyway, so this is a very big concern.

kettleheadhats
First Steps

I concur!  If someone from Fitbit is watching and taking down votes--please add a food builder!

BeckyV
First Steps

I agree. The point of the FitBit is that all of your needs, from food tracking to exercise tracking, can be done all in one place. I don't want to use a separate app to calculate the calories in my meal. True fitness can't be achieved without eliminating a lot of processed foods, but there's no easy way to track home cooking with this app. Please add a serving size feature to the meal saver!

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Agree. Currently I use Body Media and I use many ingredients. Example for breakfast, I have a smoothies with 25 different veges and fruits I weigh in grams. Great variety but a pain to put into the Fitbit app. With body media I can repeat any of the last 7 day meals and just Change the qty. I would much rather use the Fitbit so I dont have an arm band on me always. recipes are also a great thing. App needs to be updated.

TraceyD
Stepping Up

Yes please add a recipe builder! FitBit is so great and this would make the system so much more complete. For a bandaid at lease add a serving size to the meal saver.

knbobick
Jogger

i use sparkrecipes.com. though a covenient site, an all-in-one fitbit soultion would be nice. please add a recipe builder.

torch628
First Steps

Hey guys,

Maybe this is a function exists and I just haven't figured it out.  I'd like to be able to choose how many servings of a recipe I ate when logging food.  Currently when I add a recipe to my meal log it only allows me to add the entire recipe when the reality is I only ate 1/4 of the entire meal.  Because of this missing component I'm using another app (Lose It) to track calories in and FitBit to track calories out. 

Thanks

Matt

aellis10
Jogger
It would be great if fitbit would add a way for users to input a recipe, all ingredients used and serving sizes, and have it calculate the calories. I make/eat a lot of home made meals and not every recipe has the calories from fat or even calories listed, especially not old family recipes. This leaves me searching for things in the database and guessing which one would be closest.
EdMcC
Jogger

It would be awesome to be able to create our own receipes in the Fitbit software.  LoseIt! has a great interface for doing this.  However, it is pretty basic... You add ingredients one at a time to create the receipe, then tell how many servings the receipe makes.  When you are logging your food, you enter how many servings you have eaten of that receipe.

Jrdubyakc
Cross-Country Runner

Great idea.  Until Fitbit adds the functionality, you might look at myfitnesspal.  It syncs with Fitbit and you can add recipes there.  And if you got your recipe online, you can just plug in the URL and it bascially just pulls all the food in for you.  More info here if interested.

EdMcC
Jogger

Moderator Edit: Removed personal information.

cmcbryde
Recovery Runner

I track protien intack.    When I add calories because there is not a way to add a recip eusing the app to " Create Food" there is not away to add protien. I am under a doctors suppervision and need a way to detail my intake.  I do not want to have to use multipul apps.  I am busy enough.

love22612
Jogger

Is there a plan in the mere future to include a recipe builder?  I would love this feature and have read many posts by many people wanting a recipe builder instead of using a 3rd party app. 

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.