Able to edit treadmill steps count

Today, I was on the treadmill for 45 minutes, and Versa reported 75 steps...that's less than 2 steps per minute.  Rather than swinging my arms, I was holding onto the stationary arm rails.  The minimum number of steps displayed could take physical characteristics into account so that a more reasonable estimate could be made.  Alternatively, a minimum number of steps per minute could be used.  All I know is that reporting fewer than 2 steps per minute is definitely insufficient.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

11 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
MarcelBK
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Nice suggestion, thanks for sharing. We look forward to hearing what other community members think.

Glenmcd
Runner

I've had the same problem.  Any fitbit will register steps if it's placed in a pocket either in your shirt or in pants near your waste, or on your ankle if you can get it to fit.  But heartrate is important too, and the place to measure that seems to be on your wrist.  So unless you own and wear multiple fitbits, the other solution is if you could edit your step count on conclusion of an activity, OR you told fitbit how far you walked and as it knows your step length it can calculate from there.

nat.kp
Jogger

I agree. Same applies to those pushing a buggy or a wheelchair as I discovered recently. Shopping trolley around the supermarket - so many instances of people walking and not swinging their arms. Please sort this out, as you are excluding a very large number of women (as well as others engaging in these activities) 

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

B if problem is that on a treadmill the tracker is unable to measure distance, without a distance Fitbit would have problems guessing a step count.

bigfrog
First Steps
Adapt Fitbit watches to also count steps while on a treadmill.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @bigfrog, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to see step calculation for treadmill. I've moved it into a similar request. I think that a lot of users would like to have this option on their Fitbit devices. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs.

Thank you again for your participation in the Feature Suggestions Forums.

bigfrog
First Steps
Thanks for your reply. Hoping for a solution for recording steps on a treadmill.😊

Tom
oilygirl
Jogger

I am having the same issue.  Fitbit chat said to come here to vote to get this fixed hit found nowhere to actually vote.  Very frustrated as my work requires so much activity in a week and I’m not getting an accurate step count.  

bigfrog
First Steps
I know, I have to manually enter the time and distance every time I use my treadmill which is several times a week. Since steps are counted by when you swing your arms, it would be nice if it tracked your actual steps instead.😉

Tom
Kat387
First Steps
My fitbit won't count steps on my desk treadmill while I work, b/c I'm not moving my arm a bunch. I'm walking at 3.0 mph and my treadmill says I walked 10,000 steps. If I manually log the distance as a treadmill activity, it will reduce the total number of steps, which was already inaccurately low. Let us manually enter steps on treadmill.
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Kat387, thanks for taking the time to share this product feedback about being able to edit the steps tracked during your treadmill activity with us. I noticed this product feedback was already requested on this board, so I’ve moved your post here. Please support this product feedback by adding your vote, this helps our developers to keep tracking its popularity and demand over time.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.