Able to select which data to export and date range after Google migration

I recently migrated to the google app which has superseded my fitbit app. It appears that the google app does not provide the same options to export the data from the fitbit device that the fitbit app allowed. The original fitbit app allowed me to output a spreadsheet that was a daily summary of the body, activities and sleep information.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

54 Comments
rockman112
Jogger

Updated the notebook so instead of 1 month's sleep data, it now converts all sleep data by concatenating multiple .json files into a single DataFrame.

It does this by pattern matching all .json files that start with "sleep-" and have the date format "{yyyy-mm-dd}.json" (suppose if your date locale is different, e.g. Europe, this might not work since you'd need to match {dd-mm-yyyy} or something, but for now, assume Google does it all the same).

Now, you should only need to provide the Google Takeout download path for the 'filepath = ' variable and the notebook should do the rest.

There may be some 'NA' values for columns prior to 2020. I suspect Google or Fitbit made some sort of name change here, but any data after 2019 (i.e. Jan. 1, 2020) should be correct.

@Rajotter let me know if you do find those .json files. I believe from takeout.google.com I deselected all then only selected to export 'Fitbit'. Testing this now to double-check and confirm.

google_takeout_fitbit_export.png

rockman112
Jogger

Confirmed the Fitbit export via takeout.google.com contains the Global Export Data directory that also contains all the .json files, including those for sleep.

AinATL
Jogger
Prior to switching to the Google login we were able to download a subset of our data or all of our data. Now all we have is the Google Takeout - which is less than impressive. If I had known I would lose functionality I would not have switched to the Google login.
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @AinATL, thanks for taking the time to share this product feedback about restoring the ability to export your data for a specific time with us. I noticed this product feedback was already requested on this board, so I’ve moved your post here. Please support this product feedback by adding your vote, this helps our developers to keep tracking its popularity and demand over time.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.