Access Apps/features During Exercise tracking

When tracking an exercise on the Ionic, you're not able to leave the exercise tracking screen to access the rest of the OS or any other apps. For example, if I were tracking a hike or bike ride and wanted to check the weather, I am unable to access the app to do so. Even more, there are 3rd party apps available to use during a workout but it's not possible to use those apps while tracking your exercise with the Fitbit exercise app. There are plenty of suggestions to add a ski tracking app, but what's the point if you can't track your exercise along with the app?  Fitbit needs to update the OS to allow you to navigate off the exercise screen and open other apps in conjunction. 

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

112 Comments
Tjeerd
Base Runner

Because of the health/sport focus of the Fitbit I'm really exited to start thinking about apps that are also focussing on that.

However at the moment it is not possible to use other app's on Ionic while recording a workout (a must have for a lot of serious athletes, and definitely for a Strava addict like myself). Making that possible would open up a lot of opportunities for creating valuable interactions during workouts. 

JessicaCoachJ
Jogger

It would be helpful when in workout mode. To be Able to swipe over and see any notifications from phone. And have the workout continue. Please thank you

Harboe
Runner

For example I'd like to be able to "minimize" the workout when strength training, so I can use the timer between sets. When you get a full agenda on the watch, I can imagine hiking and needing to check when the next appointment is.

Moderator Edit: Title for Clarity

gkinfinity
Recovery Runner

To add to this, 

One idea on how to implement would be to change the long press back button function from directing you to fitbit pay to instead just taking you back to the menu of apps on the watch. You could still access fitbit pay thru the app menu (or any other app you would like to access during a workout).  All the while, your exercise is being tracked in the background and you could return to the exercise screen simply by reopening the app.  

I've owned Samsung gear and Polar M600 smart watches along with my Ionic. The Samsung and Polar interfaces each allow you to return to the main OS while an exercise is being tracked. I think Fitbit needs to implement this as well. I like the long press back button idea because it also doesn't make it too easy to accidentally leave your exercise screen by mistakenly pressing a button. There are other ways I'm sure but if it's too easy, Fitbit should also visit the suggestion to implement a lock screen during a workout (Polar also had this.)

gkinfinity
Recovery Runner

Just saw this. I posted a similar suggesstion under "Access Apps During Exercise Tracking."

Harboe
Runner

Didn't see that one. Will give that an upvote as well, hoping one of them will get enough to get their attention.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Moved to Ionic label.

trasig
First Steps

Want to be able to use the timer while in workout mode. very simple feature. I can use the music app, so it has multitasking.. let me start the timer app also pleeease. Kinda basic function

jrice3481
Recovery Runner

Would it be possible to track a particular exercise (say hiking or walking) but also be able to go back to the main screen on my ionic and use the other functions? 

I also wish i could see my total accumulated steps while doing an activity and not just the steps during that walk/hike, etc.  thanks!

Harboe
Runner

I miss this as well. Use to have it on Android Wear and used it between sets while working out. It's a bit annoying to have to remember when the set was over and calculate 90 seconds until the next set.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
SantiR
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

That’s an interesting idea and could be very useful, thanks for sharing this suggestion.

MarcelBK
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

That’s an interesting idea and could be useful, thanks for sharing this suggestion.

Abramstephen
Recovery Runner

C’mon guys - there must be a way that you can switch playlists without having to completely end a workout? This is a fitness watch that now has a music solution with Deezer but unless you build your perfect playlist you’ll always want to change a playlist mid workout without having to end a workout on the watch (otherwise we aren’t completely free of the phone to do this) been in touch with Fitbit & it seems to be an overlooked feature (which is a massive shame)

AlexandraFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Nice suggestion, thanks for sharing @Abramstephen. We look forward to hearing what other community members think.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Unless I'm missing something, once an exercise has been started on the Ionic, the device is prevented from doing anything else. You can't navigate to any other screen. This is somewhat of a pain if you're listening to music for example. You have to stop the exercise function of the watch, navigate to what it is you want to do, go back to exercise and start anew. This simply doesn't make sense.

LanuzaFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Thank you very much for sharing your idea @SunsetRunner! 

Let's see what other users say about this.

Gondwana
Veteran Runner

I feel that the solution for this suggestion could be related to this one. If the exercise/activity telemetry path was implemented independently to the UI, it would be possible to run other apps during exercise/activity periods as well as to use third-party apps to display exercise stats in real time.

LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @gkinfinity and commenters. Unfortunately this is not going to be possible on Ionic because of the way it is built, but this is under consideration for future products.

Also, you can currently access the power tray (where you can access music) during exercise. In exercise mode, press and HOLD the left button and the power tray will pop up. You can then swipe left to access music controls.

I realize you want to access other apps beyond music, so I will leave this open but please know that you can access your music controls during exercise mode.

Thanks again.

Harboe
Runner

@LizFitbit  I'm really surprised and sad to hear this. Guess it's time to sell this fitness tracker, because what I wanted was a smartwatch. This is the most basic of a smartwatch's function, which the Fitbit Ionic obviously and certainly isn't!

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I was tracking a workout and I needed to enable deezer, due to the limitation of no multitasking it wouldn't work. I had to cancel a workout, in order to start up deezer. 

I would like to get app switching or maybe being able to simply set deezer as my default music player on my fitbit ionic.

LanuzaFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Thanks for sharing this idea @SunsetRunner.

I can certainly see how being able to multitask on the Fitbit would be very welcomed and useful. 

Let's see what other users have to say about this.

LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @gkinfinity and commenters, thanks for this suggestion. I wanted to let you know that you can long hold the left button during exercise mode to access the power tray, which includes Music Controls. Unfortunately, you cannot access anything else that is not in the power tray during workout mode. Due to the way Fitbit Ionic and Fitbit Versa are built, this request will not be possible to release on those specific devices, however, it's a great idea that we'll keep open for future products.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

@gkinfinity wrote:

When tracking an exercise on the Ionic, you're not able to leave the exercise tracking screen to access the rest of the OS or any other apps. For example, if I were tracking a hike or bike ride and wanted to check the weather, I am unable to access the app to do so. Even more, there are 3rd party apps available to use during a workout but it's not possible to use those apps while tracking your exercise with the Fitbit exercise app. There are plenty of suggestions to add a ski tracking app, but what's the point if you can't track your exercise along with the app?  Fitbit needs to update the OS to allow you to navigate off the exercise screen and open other apps in conjunction. 

Thanks for the response great to see you developers do read our posts.

As this is due to the way that these devices are and this cannot be changed. Would it be possible to add a menu item.  "Default music player" then tell the application to load deezer from the power tray, instead of "music" due to the reliability of music transfer, I just use deezer with its better sync.

My problem was if I start a workout. Then haven't paired headphones yet, I will need to stop the workout to be able to physically use deezer, only music pops up.  It's good how you can pick your headphones, that bit works well.  I just have no music stored on the music app

Farquhar1979
First Steps

All these comments I agree with. Whilst tracking an exercise I am able to connect to Bluetooth headphones by holding down the left hand button, but I'm unable to start any music playing!

For example: when I go out for a run with others I don't listen to music as it's a social, but then I often keep running on my own, so want to listen to music. To do this I have to stop tracking (end exercise), open music app and start playing, then start a fresh exercise session. 

This isn't ideal for a competitively priced, top of the range tracker. 

brucebre
Recovery Runner

We should be able to go back to the main screen while exercising. What if I want to check my text messages or change the music while walking. Please add this feature ASAP.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.