Access Apps/features During Exercise tracking

When tracking an exercise on the Ionic, you're not able to leave the exercise tracking screen to access the rest of the OS or any other apps. For example, if I were tracking a hike or bike ride and wanted to check the weather, I am unable to access the app to do so. Even more, there are 3rd party apps available to use during a workout but it's not possible to use those apps while tracking your exercise with the Fitbit exercise app. There are plenty of suggestions to add a ski tracking app, but what's the point if you can't track your exercise along with the app?  Fitbit needs to update the OS to allow you to navigate off the exercise screen and open other apps in conjunction. 

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

112 Comments
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @hhje908, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to access apps and features during exercise tracking. I've moved it into a similar suggestion which has been updated as "Under Consideration". I hope to see you around.

Daveuk02
Jogger
The device already has the ability to record heart rate and exercises (walks/cycling) passively throughout the day. It would be helpful if I could start tracking an exercise e.g weightlifting and then be able to back out of the exercise tracker with it still running in the background.
Lirocha
First Steps

I just got a Versa 2 and I’m also frustrated that we can’t control music, or access other apps, while tracking exercise.

JuanFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Daveuk02 , than you for your idea. As this suggestion already exists, I moved yours here. Please don't forget to leave your kudos for it. 

justingiffard
Stepping Up
Thats not quite what he asked. There is no way to track exercises in
background while in another app
JJDong
Jogger

While using the workout feature I want to be able to exit out and use a different feature without losing the measured stats of my workout , the workout app would have to work in the background. For example, I want to start a workout and be able to exit out and use the stopwatch feature while the workout app is still working in the back.

-------------------------

For inspire 2!

LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @JJDongThanks for sharing this suggestion about being able to access other apps on your Inspire 2 while tracking your workout with us. This idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestions board, so I’ve moved your post here. This will help us to keep the forums organized and make sure the suggestions don't get confused, or split a popular vote. Click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

Benjy417
First Steps
Once you've started an exercise you can't run it in the background and open your other apps
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Benjy417, thanks for explaining why you would like to have access to others apps/features during exercise tracking. I've moved it into a similar suggestion which has been updated as "Under Consideration". I hope to see you around.

K.0.
First Steps
I would love to see stopwath and timer added when u are in workout mode, cuz rn u cant open timer while ur in workout mode, so what i need to do i take my phone and start timer there for my exercises.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @K.0., thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to access apps/features during exercise tracking. I've moved it into a similar suggestion which has been updated as "Under Consideration". I hope to see you around.

Denaaaaaaa
First Steps
We should be able to control our Spotify while using the Exercise Feature on Charge 4. It defeats the purpose of having a Spotify feature when I have to keep going back and forth to my phone to control it.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Denaaaaaaa, thanks for explaining why you would like to have access to apps/features during exercise tracking. I've moved it into a similar suggestion which has been updated as "Under Consideration". I hope to see you around.

freilyk
First Steps
Would be nice to have exercise running in the background
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @freilyk, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to access to other apps while tracking exercise in the background. Thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon.

Livingbetter
Jogger

I totally agree. It’s very frustrating to not be able to do anything else while tracking my fitness. It’s very discouraging and is definitely  a negative detail when recommending a Fitbit to someone. 

LadyKatYoung
Base Runner

Absolutely agree with this. Can't believe you are stuck on the exercise screen. All other smartwatch allow you to use the watch when tracking. Like replying to messages or playing music... Very frustrating you can't do that with fitbit. It's an either or deal. Please add this feature. It should be simple.  

Lizziemeg
First Steps

I'd really like to be able to control spotify but also to use the timers app for my triaing. I don't want to keep looking at my watch while I'm doing wall sits or other timed activities but also don't want to manually add workouts in the app. 

brittneyg112
Jogger
When the charge 4 starts to track an exercise, mine will not let me return to the clock face. After pressing the side button multiple times I go between a screen that says DND and "finish". I do not want to do either of these things. Additionally even when I shut off automatic tracking, it still does it
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @brittneyg112, thanks for sharing this suggestion about being able to access your Charge 4 apps and features during your exercise with us. This idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestions board, so I’ve moved your post here. This will help us to keep the forums organized and make sure the suggestions don't get confused, or split a popular vote. Click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

ActiveT1D
First Steps
As an active Type 1 Diabetic, I have installed the Glance clock face that allows me to always see my CGM glucose reading. When in exercise mode, I can't see that. Running exercise in the background would allow me to see the Glucose reading while tracking my workouts.
DavideFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @ActiveT1Dthanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us about the possibility of running your exercise in the background, this feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here as it is currently Under Consideration status. This helps to keep the forums more organized. 

Thank you again for your participation in the Community. 

HikeBike365
First Steps

I just downloaded the Spotify app to control music and was very disappointed that I could not continue running exercise in the background to control music while working out.  An alternative feature to running in background would be to have a pause/play/skip control on the exercise screen for any for any music playing while exercise is running.

Kanaenae
Walker
When you are doing an exercise, you cannot access your 'Today App' without quitting the exercise you are doing. This is really counterintuitive since I would like to see my total steps of the day during an exercise instead of just seeing the steps for that one particular exercise.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Kanaenae, thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about having the option to access other apps while exercise tracking. I've moved it into a similar suggestion which has been updated as "Under Consideration". I hope to see you around.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.