Account for standing vs. sitting in hourly activity

It would be great if the hourly activity data was able to break down time spent sitting vs. standing vs. being active. I use a standing desk at work and, while I'm not taking many steps, I hope it's better than just sitting for 7 hours straight. It would be nice to track how much I'm standing as opposed to being truly stationary/sitting. 

12 Comments
Emilybpr
Stepping Up

I would like it if much like the Apple Watch it could tell when you’ve been sitting for certain periods of time and to also allow you to set reminders to stand. You could also then set daily goals for time spend standing in order to reduce time seated which has been proven to be bad for your health. I think the Apple Watch model is very good when it comes to standing time and I would like to see it implemented into Fitbits watches

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

@Emilybpr all the newer tracker a do remind you to move if you have been stationary for the hour. 

Sorry. @LDH84 Fitbit monitors activity.. It can not tell if your sitting or standing. 

Kayokko
First Steps

It would also be great to receive prompts to switch between sitting and standing as is all too easy to become engrossed in your work and forget to stand - is very important for people with back injuries. 

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
SantiR
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

That’s an interesting idea and could be useful to know the level of sedentarism you had on an specific day. Thanks for sharing this suggestion.

snow755
Recovery Runner

some in i like too see added in  in the versa software at some point that apple watch has  that i like too see  in the  versa  i would like too see    it  too  where you  can track  how many hrs you  have stan durning the  day  and how many  hrs you  have rested  why you  are  stilling     if this  got added  with the  software  upgrade at some point then i think the  versa   will be  a grate   selling point for the ones  that  dont  have a iphone and have android  you would still get the  same grate future that  you  get with a apple  watch with the fitbit if  they could add how many hrs you have stan  durning the day and how many resting hrs durning the day has well 

ClaudioV
First Steps

This is a really valuable addition to steps and other activities. This is because time spent sitting is a separate risk factor for multiple health problems that cannot be mitigated by meeting moderate exercise targets. In other words we need to know that we are sitting for less than 7 hours per day. The current reporting is inadequate to tell us how we are tracking on this.  This could be reported as hours spent sitting and % of time spent sitting V standing- both are helpful in tracking and motivating change. I really love my FitBit Versa and cant wait for this feature to be introduced. If you develop a 'Beta' testing model/software I would love to assist with trialling it!! Please let me know. Aiming for <7 hours of sitting per day. 

JungleGymJam
Base Runner

Hey Fitbit-ers! One lifestyle change I made at work was to get a standing desk (Varidesk). I stand at work half the day. 

It might be handy to include in the FitBit app some kind of hook to the Standing Desk, like where you can manually record start/stop of standing sessions. 

What would be even cooler would be smart standing desks that tell the FitBit app if they're in the up or down position to automate tracking. 

But manual tracking of this would be a good start. 

Thoughts? 

Moderator Edit: Personal info removed

aishamo
First Steps

So I decided on getting a fitbit over an apple watch bc I do love the fitbit app for tracking fitness and health BUT one thing that I got stuck on was the standing reminder. I switch between standing and sitting a lot at work and I'm amazed that standing and sitting are seen as the same in the fitbit ecosystem. I would love to see this added. Standing and sitting are very different for your health and should be recorded as so. Standing is recorded via the accelerometer which the fitbit has so why not program standing in?

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

An accelerometer does not measure position but changed in the speed of the device. Technically if one can move the tracker at a constant speed, Fitbit won't even know that the person is moving. A standing or sitting person that is not moving will look the same to Fitbit. Now it would be possible to add a flag where the user sets it for sitting. 

aishamo
First Steps

@Rich_Laue I am not sure how it will be done but if my phone can detect orientation and it being dropped with the use of an accelerometer and if there is a sudden movement upward when standing perhaps someone in the product department could figure out how to detect standing. Perhaps a sudden movement down and not really moving would indicate sitting and a sudden movement up and then not really moving would indicate standing? I’m  not sure. This isn’t my forte. 

AJune
First Steps

Yes this is very important for tasks like dishwashing where feet don’t move a lot but some

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

@aishamo. but what does orientation of the arm have to do with standing vs sitting? 

The tracker dies detect the gravitational pull. 

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.