Add Airplane mode to Versa series

I recommend adding an airplane mode to the first firmware update.

I have seen several posts wondering about turning off bluetooth or WiFi on the new Ionic.  Several people have stated an interest based on small amounts of radiation, others have considered FAA regulations for devices.  This feature would also benefit people who work in government, tech, and security industries who work in places where transmitting devices of any kind are not allowed.  I am interested because being able to control how often my device transmits and whether or not it is able to sync provides me the ability to extend battery life because I don't always want a smart watch. Sometimes I just want a pedometer, but I don't want to switch between two different devices.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject and updated label

147 Comments
organicsauce
First Steps

Please add a way to turn device into a type of "airplane mode" so that it is not radiating while I'm sleeping.  I want to wear my device all the time but I don't want always sending RF.  This would extend the batter life too I would think.  This is an important feature for folks looking to optimize health and reduce negative environmental hazards such as constant and close proximity RF transmissions.  I'd be happy to turn it on and off manually though having the ability to schedule it would be a nice enhancement.

I'm on my third Fitbit device and I'm looking to possibly upgrade again.  Turning off any RF while I'm sleeping (or in general) will help me decide what I go with in the future.

Thanks for considering. 

BAC1976
First Steps

Fitbit, Please add the airplane more or the ability to turn off Bluetooth specifically.  As stated in this and multiple other threads hundreds/thousands of people work in places where active signals are not allowed.  It's an easy firmware add that would instantly make your product more marketable.  Thank you!

dannyb2100
Base Runner

Agreed. If only for the extended battery life, would love this functionality. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I'm really surprised this isn't included, this should be a de-facto standard.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Yes, please add an airplane mode. Some work environments frown on or prohibit devices that generate Bluetooth or Wi-Fi signals.

jotsetung
First Steps

And not to forget - it would save battery life

Tonymonto
Jogger

Just checked my charge2 with emf meter.  Emitting microwaves in the red zone.  Pulsing every second or so.  Returning for refund.  I'd buy the ionic, when airplane mode installed.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Remember that the Bluetooth is in listrning mode. 

Controlling the sync is done by the Fitbit phone app

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Remember this is a feature request for airplane mode. So not sure why we are talking about app and sync'ing. We just want the radio off!

Tonymonto
Jogger
It still pulses every second.
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Thanks for the suggestion. Additionally, if you don't want your device to sync via bluetooth all of the time, you can turn off "all day sync" in the app (or disable bluetooth on your phone). If you do this, you won't have access to some features like notifications, weather updates, etc. WiFi is 

currently only engaged if your device is performing more intensive activities such as updating firmware, installing new apps, downloading music etc.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Not sure how stopping sync'ing via Bluetooth or not using WiFi is going to be stopping radio waves and transmission from the watch. 

The Bluetooth and WiFi adapters simply need to be turned off via an aeroplane mode facility.

Btw turning off "all day sync" does not turn off notifications (thank gawd).

Ionic
Jogger

@LizFitbit, thank you for reviewing my suggestion, but I think you missed what I (and all other commenters) are seeking. We want a top of the line fitness watch and the control to determine when and how the Bluetooth/WiFi will act. Giving me an airplane mode is a simple solution.

I am on the verge of buying a Garmin because they have this very simple option standard. How is it not even available in the flagship watch from the leaders in wearable fitness devices? I've always loved my fitbits and my current on is on its last leg, but it will not be replaced by another fitbit without this feature. Smartwatches also have this feature, and many others, but most lack quality fitness monitoring. I don't want a smart watch, I want the best fitness device available and I want to keep the Bluetooth off until I want it on.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Are you aware that any device,tracker, light bulb, computer, wires in the wall, motor, radio, etc, if it is on, or has current flowing through it radiates EMF. The only way to stop this would be to turn tour tracker completely off.

Anonimo
First Steps

I am one of the people who require wireless to be turned off due to where I work. It is illegal to have a wireless device. Bluetooth is allowed due to the lack of emissions within a secure environment. Wireless is 100% a no-no (as is storage), as we breach wireless devices on a regular basis... If this has a 2 way wireless radio, I can make this thing store info and broadcast at will. Wife got me the Ionic for my birthday and it has to go back because I don't buy devices I can only use on the weekends. I have a surge I can wear as it is only Bluetooth and has non-volatile storage.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

It is amazing really to supply transmitters we can't even turn off without switching off the device. I don't think I've ever seen this anywhere at any time in history. Maybe CB radio? I think even they had such switches.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Another thing. I actually wonder if this breaks regulations in some countries?

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

@Anonimo you say Bluetooth is ok, correct. 

To save battery the WiFi is only onwhile charging to update the music playlist.. Once it is updated it turns off. 

At other times the WiFi is off unless the user has manually turned it on. 

I really don't see a problem while at eork. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

@Rich_Laue the whole point of aeroplane mode (this feature request) is to have all transmitters and receivers off. Having half of anything off is not the point. I can't even see why this is a discussion.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable
The problems I see are:

1. It would be really good to know definitely from company documentation
what radios are on or off and exactly when.

2. Some work locations don't just "prohibit" wireless devices but actively
scan for them. That means that even if a radio is off most of the time, if
it does wake up even to just send out a heartbeat of some sort it can set
off alarms.

3. There is almost no way that the average person who is required to check
a device as part of their job will know what company documentation (#1
above) says. Unless the device is overwhelmingly mainstream they'll want to
see a switch/icon somewhere that says it's turning the radios off (remember
what it was like to fly a few years ago when the stewards didn't know if a
Kindle was safe or not because they knew it had a radio so they wanted it
turned off).

This can sometimes turn into a bit of security theater but that's better
then the previous poster who had to return his device. Fortunately I don't
run into this problem often myself so it isn't a deal breaker but having an
option in Settings on the watch to just officially indicate that the radios
are off and they won't turn on would make some people's lives a lot easier.

This is certainly a niche concern but it also seems like it wouldn't be too
hard...

Have a good day
Anonimo
First Steps

Show me the Wireless turn on button,.. because then that would indicate that there is a power off button also... there are neither... there is an option to have wireless on all the time -vs- pulsed (I believe). As others have mentioned,.. the wireless turns on every few seconds. That is against regulations and would be written up as a security violation for anyone with this device as everywhere I work,.. there are wireless detectors throughout the buildings.
jmfoster1975
First Steps

Another vote to be able to turn off bluetooth (airplane mode).

Keget
First Steps

Waiting on this function to be able to buy it as well.  It does not matter how little the signal is or how rarely it is transmitted, as others have mentioned, some of us MUST turn off transmitters in certain locations.

Anonimo
First Steps

Well,.. I resolved the issue on mine and my wife's Ionic.. I returned them both. They are NOT ready for prime time.

I'm with all the others above seeking the ability to switch off Wifi. I am allowed to have the bluetooth "on" at work, but don't need it since I wouldn't be able to have a device it would be syncing to, so I'd be thrilled to see a switch added to physically disable/turn off the wifi/bluetooth. Until that feature is added, I can love the Ionic but know it's not suitable for me since I am another person that can't justify the expense for a device I can't wear at work and in our fitness facilities.

PLEASE add an airplane mode switch, FitBit!

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.