Add Interval Training Timer (HIIT) That Buzzes at a Certain Pace

Hello,
I'm excited about the new products. I am a run/walker, and in training for my recent marathon, a friend had a garmin watch that vibrated at certain intervals. (Ex: if I wanted to have a pace of 3min run/1min walk it would vibrate at those intervals to keep me on track).

Moderator edit: updated title for clarity, merged related suggestions

582 Comments
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

This is the feature I want the most from the Fitbit developers. If we could customize our intervals to allow is to set our walk/jog/sprint times, I wouldn't need to use a second app on my phone when running. Ideally we would be able to mimic progressive running programs; I had to use multiple apps when I moved from Couch 2 5K to Couch 2 10K and to the Hal Higdon programs.

Sandrat
First Steps

Agree that, as a runner, I would like to have an interval option.

I will just wait until a model with that comes out, and continue with my current Fitbit flex and Garmin for running

activeone4444
Stepping Up

I have been holding out to upgrade by FitBit Force with the Surge - however, one of the key features for me, being a marathon runner is to have interval training feature - like the Garmin watch that I currently use to go running.  Purpose for me to purchase the Surge is to eliminate wearing all these devices - HR monitor (Polar F7), Fitbit Force and the Garmin 305.  Looking for something that incorporates all these features into one watch.  Please add the interval option.

@Lins923 wrote:
Hello,
I'm excited about the new products. I am a run/walker, and in training for my recent marathon, a friend had a garmin watch that vibrated at certain intervals. (Ex: if I wanted to have a pace of 3min run/1min walk it would vibrate at those intervals to keep me on track).

KyndChic
First Steps
Needs interval training and some type of limited music storage/memory card would be perfect!
KHutch
First Steps
Add Interval training to the running feature with time or distance for speed workouts. Buzz wrist when time to change speeds. Example 2 min slow, 2 min fast .... For 30 minutes
johnnymillion
Jogger

That would be amazing. Right now I have to use a separate app to track the run/walk reminders.

st8crzy
First Steps

I just received my Fitbit Surge and the one big thing missing for me is the lack of an interval timer that will help me when training for longer distance runs. It would seem to me that Fitbit would be able to keep up with old school technology like my old Gym Boss.  If the programmers could integrate this as a feature, I would have all I needed in one device instead of having to use a seperate app or a clunky old device . 

PLEASE consider this as an update!!!!!!!

Trumani
Recovery Runner

Agreed.  It can easily be baked into the "exercise" mode.  Given the way it syncs and the limited interface on the device itself, it could probably only be implemented with a default interval, meaning it'd be tough for someone that wants to work out and run to set up two types of intervals, but I'm predominately a runner myself so I wouldn't be too concerned with this limitation.

I really hope they add something like this in.

Trumani
Recovery Runner

Agreed.  It can easily be baked into the "exercise" mode.  Given the way it syncs and the limited interface on the device itself, it could probably only be implemented with a default interval, meaning it'd be tough for someone that wants to work out and run to set up two types of intervals.

I really hope they add something like this in.

jenfineped
First Steps

VOTE FOR INTERVAL TIMER!!!

jen0cyde
Keeping Pace

Major +1 here. I'm currently testing out the Surge and I'm loving Fitbit's interface and how simple and clean the data presentation is. I have a Garmin 620 and it's almost too much info, I hate Garmin's software, and was getting fed up with the connection issues. Plus since getting injured from running I've started doing a lot of other activities aside from running and wanted to track all those. The Surge just works--I had it up and working before I even got home just through my phone. Not having an interval mode on something touted as a running watch is a serious dealbreaker. Then again so is a lack of mile/time notifications...but that's another feature request. 🙂

Get those two features in, along with bringing back activity editing, and I'll never touch a Garmin again.

runsuerun
First Steps

The Surge has everything I want EXCEPT the Interval option. This is a MUST have for me along with the mile updates, so unfortunately I will not be choosing the Surge. Unfortunately I will have to go with the TomTom Runner Cardio or the Garmin. Please update soon!! 

angieu
Jogger

I agree, the ability to set up intervals would be huge and the ability for it to vibrate instead of only telling you through a connected phone and headphones (auto lap timer), I don't run with music ever.  I'm lucky in that I do all my training runs with my sister and she has a garmin, which allows us to set up our interval workouts, and I don't have to wear two watches, but if I ever find myself on a training run alone, I'll be lost.... Otherwise, spot on tracking when I do sinc with my phone post-run. 

dbrian56
Jogger

Hey everyone, just a reminder, I keep seeing people comment but not vote on this thread. Vote on the thread, please!

ohiotubagal
Keeping Pace

Yes please add this! I actually thought the Surge had this feature when I bought it and have been quite disappointed that it doesn't have it. I am going to keep it though, because I like the other features enough to stick it out.

antikewl
Base Runner

Pretty surprised that this isn't already a feature on a device that's supposedly aimed at runners, tbh. Please add this.

jgmiaz
First Steps

+1 for interval timer.    For me I would like to see a tabata timer for weight training. 

smithmad
First Steps

I orginally purchased the Charger and realized it doesnt have the features I want.  I am looking for the functions like my Garmin Forerunner the Surge would be a great solution for me. I really want to have the additional features like the Timex Ironman (Sports watch) that have interval training features, stop watch, heart rate zones etc. The surge will be on my watch list for these feature. Until then I will have to wear a heartrate montitor and ironman watch.

pottz
First Steps
It would be great to be able to set up intervals for the vibration alarm so we can use it for interval training or round timing in circuts.
stephko
First Steps

Would LOVE this as a feature. I have a surge, and love everything about it - but it's needs interval training to compete with the garmin. Would love to set the intervals, and have it vibrate to indicate start and end. This feature is key for any runners. PLEASE!

Daphy
First Steps

I currently have a Flex and am considering upgrading to a Surge for many of its great features. However, the ability to have interval training for the Galloway Run Walk Run method is one that is not currently offered. I don't want to have to use an additional product to notify me to change, which is what I am currently doing. Please consider offering this feature for all of us using this great method of running!

flyballgal
Jogger

Please add this feature.  I would like to ditch my phone, which is what I currently use for intervals.  

Nursekatrn
First Steps

Please, Please, Please add an interval timer!  I was told by a sales person at Dick's that this item had an interval timer only to find out that it doesnt.  I am so sad...I am thinking I might have to return it for something that will have this function. 

dcharleyultra
Keeping Pace

+1

Please add interval timing. 

secher
Recovery Runner

You should make a planned workout based on the already existing vibration alarm for the new generation of trackers. 

Specifically I'm talking about something like for running. I want to jog exactly ten minutes, then sprint for two, the jog for five, sprint for two, jog for five minutes and then then spend my last energy in a 4 minutes sprint... 

I want to be able to set up a workout with interval times, and get a buzz on my wrist every time a new interval starts. 

Start (hold down button on the fitbit)

10 minutes - buzz

2 minutes - buzz

5 minutes - buzz

2 minutes - buzz 

5 minutes - buzz

4 minutes - buzz

Then I won't have to check my wrist, clicking the button to see the timer, which is especially annoying now it's winter, and I have long sleeves and gloves on. 

This feature would also be very usefull in other activities than running, like circuit training where you might wanna just create a loop of 20 seconds work, 10 seconds break, like Tabata. 

Of a manual setup of the intervals is a must, but it would also be great if you offered preset plans/intervals for different exercises... 

You guys should really look into this 🙂

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.