Add 'Report Found Fitbit' option to Fitbit App

Since each Fitbit has a unique id, how about adding a feature where the Fitbit App can not only identify the found tracker (lost by another user, let's call him 'Bob'), but also give them an option to notify that user directly?  This is roughly how it would work:

1. Launch that feature on the mobile app.
  2. Select the type of tracker (much like you would when you pair it).
  3. Confirm the tracker (4 digit code for some, light pattern/tapping on others, etc).  Note:  Doesn't actually pair it to your account.
  4. Allow the app to send a message to that user, a typical message can be:  "Found your Fitbit, left it at the 'lost & found' at the mall." (be mindful of personal safety here).
  5. Drop off at 'lost & found'.

Bob gets a message on Fitbit (either through Fitbit App or Dashboard):

1. It reads, "Found your Fitbit, left it at the 'lost & found' at the mall."
  2. He looks down and notices he did indeed drop his Fitbit.
  3. He goes to 'lost & found' and is reunited with his Fitbit.
  4. Bob does happy dance.

Possible options.  Allow both users to exchange messages for a specified time (1-2 days) to coordinate.

Frank | Washington, USA

Fitbit One, Ionic, Charge 2, Alta HR, Blaze, Surge, Flex, Flex 2, Zip, Ultra, Flyer, Aria, Aria 2 - Windows 10, Windows Phone

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

8 Comments
WolfRhan
Distance Runner

This is clever, I upvoted it.

An alternate may be for the finder to return the device to Fitbit and they handle the donkey work.

Like many store realtionship cards that go on your key-ring, the finder just drops the whole thing in the mailbox.  Either website directed or embossed inside the strap?

(I just wrote my phone # in my strap with a sharpie)

PureEvil
10K Racer

I have read accounts here where folks contact Fitbit support when they have found a tracker, and support sends them a label to return to them (presumably to check the id and reunite with its owner).

Still this is a lot of shipping gymnastics when the owner is probably only 15 minutes away.

I myself have labeled my Fitbit with a Brother p-touch labeler like this:

fitbit-label.jpg

So I don't worry as much about losing it.  Still if I found one, I'd like to be able to notify its owner and just drop it off where they can just pick it up.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Excellent idea!

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

I have read plenty of reports where people have found fitbit trackers,while some keep thrm others want to get it back to the owner.

My thought would be to put a found a fitbit function into the app.

a person finding a fitbit could then use this function. The app could connect to the fitbit and send the SN to fitbit. Fitbit could then send a prepaid mailing label to the person who reported it. If the unit is dead then Fitbit could send a label and it can be shipped back to fitbit. 

Michael
5K Racer

@Rich_Laue There is a older feature request for this already that has a number of votes that you should vote for.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LucyAP
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

@PureEvil Thanks for your suggestion! I like this idea a lot! This can help to reunite lost trackers with their owners in a secure way! 

Thanks again for the amazing idea! 

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

I do really like this idea

Status changed to: Not currently planned
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi everyone, and thanks so much for sharing this Product Feedback! While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which product feedback is developed, visit our FAQs.

We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and your input is a big part of that process. We truly thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.