Add Rock Climbing/Bouldering to Exercise app

Ionic doesn’t currently have a rock climbing activity as far as I can tell. I’d like to see activities for bouldering, top roping, and lead climbing.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

64 Comments
jobvdnoort
Jogger

I totally agree, now we only have rock climbing.

But there is a big difference between

- lead climbing

- bouldering 

- speed climbing

I found out that lead climbing has a higher heart rate than bouldering. 

I hope we can see an update in the near future adding these options.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @mlindgren thanks for this suggestion.

Currently, Fitbit Ionic tracks over 20 types of activities with real-time stats using Exercise mode, including biking, bootcamp, circuit training, elliptical, golfing, hiking, kickboxing, martial arts, Pilates, running, spinning, stair climber, swimming, tennis, walking, weights, yoga, Treadmill, Interval workout and a generic workout mode. Here's more information about using exercise on Ionic and for now you may need to manually add your exercise data.

Watch this space and our Ionic board for any exercise updates! Thanks.

Ccollingwood
First Steps

also when bouldering, you can't use the dashboard rock climbing log because it's a totally different type of activity to trad climbing - we need options for logging different types of climbing, sport, bouldering and trad climbing (i.e. indoors and outdoors)!!

Ccollingwood
First Steps

I would really like to see the option of logging different types of rock climbing. I know you can log rock climbing as an activity from your dashboard, however bouldering is very different to trad climbing because you're not gaining altitude so much and it's a lot more intense and hard work, so I have to monitor my bouldering as a work out at the moment because it's more accurate to do so. I'd like to see the option of tracking different types of climbing, trad, sport and bouldering (i.e. indoors climbing and outdoors climbing) and I'd really like to be able to have bouldering as one of the menu items on my fit bit (Charge 2) - I'm sure many other climbers must feel the same way!

321clic
Stepping Up

I also vote for adding climbing and bouldering as tracked activities.

And what about rowing?

ChickClimber
First Steps

I have searched for Rock Climbing specific fitness apps or device. There are a few currently all the market. However, they are sold in the UK. There is nothing available to us in the US. Developing a component to the exercise app for our fitbits, such as your spinning, swimming, running components would really solve a need. 

juliuszek
Jogger

Yes yes yes! Please, add feature of rock climbing to Fitbit!

I agree that different options, like indoor/outdoor would be nice. 

The difficulty level could be hard to apply. You may have an easy 5.10b, but very overhanging and a technical 5.11b that doesn't pump you out. 

I would be happy with the elevation gain and with indoor/outdoor option. For a start.

climberdude
Jogger

I've been hunting high and low for any fitness tracker to be able to support rock climbing.  I prefer Fitbit, so I hope you implement this before anyone else.

I just want credit for the exercise in the form of either 'floors climbed' or elevation gained.   It doesn't have to be associated with 'Rock Climbing'. 

Here are my thoughts:

1)  The 'Floors climbed' counter does not increment when going up an elevator because there's no steps and no horizontal movement.  The algorithm implements this so that you don't get false counting.

2)  Rock climbing is similar to going up a elevator, and this is currently why the 'Floors climbed' counter doesn't increment.  When rock climbing there are no steps because it's very slow vertical movement.  (this is my speculation based on what I've read)

3)  So there simply needs to be away to disable this and allow the 'Floors climbed' counter to increment when ever the altimeter detects change even when there are no steps.

4)  Just this would satisfy my, and I believe other's needs.  

5)  To build on this, it would be nice to have a total elevation counter in addition to 'floors climbed' counter.

6) the above should to apply to bouldering, top roping, leading...  indoor or outdoor.   It shouldn't matter.

Thank you in advance for implementing this capability.

John

Status changed to: Not currently planned
SantiR
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum
Hi everyone, thanks for sharing this suggestion. We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and we appreciate all of the input we receive from our customers. We do not currently have plans to release this feature. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs located at the top right box of the Feature Suggestions Board screen. For now, we will leave this suggestion open for votes (and closed to comments) so that we can continue to track community demand over time. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we will let you know if anything changes.
nautilus818
First Steps

My boyfriend and I each have a Charge 3 and we go bouldering/climbing multiple times a week. It would be amazing to be able to track that specific exercise with the charge - floors climbed etc, since it is such a unique sport and the Charge seems to be very intuitive. Since it isn't a very "Steps Oriented" sport and the heart rate isn't always going enough to trigger the exercise mode automatically.

Xopapop
First Steps

Charge 3 desperately needs more quick select exercises. You have an okay base, but my reason for buying this was so I could really log some stats on myself. 

I would love to see you have Rock Climbing and Bouldering for Exercise options. You can't currently log these as either yoga or walking/running because that's not what they are.. give me stats on this!

Use your altimeter to give me feet climbed, allow me to introduce which type of climbing I am doing, rock climbing or speed climbing are much more cardio, while bouldering is much more of a strength based exercise. Also, I don't want to hear that I can log this as a custom exercise as the answer to this, because it's not: you don't get anything on feet/height measurements and steps are not a good way to track this. Also a huge fallback of the Charge 3 is it's dependence on your phone/website- I don't have time in my day to do my life and be checking into the app and the web to record myself. Create a better on the go environment. I want ease and I want to be able to do it on my wrist!

You need more custom exercises, that don't need you to manually set them up on the web with unrelated stats. I am an outdoor person but right now I feel this watch is made for only the people living in Vanilla Suburbia. Give me more exercises: Kayaking, Hiking, Rock Climbing, Bouldering, Skiing, Snowboarding. Also if some of these presets exist on your other products- roll them out across all your devices that you can, based on if they have sensors for it! 

This is my first Fitbit and I want to be so in love with this I could never imagine life without it- right now, I am on the fence about it. Stop rolling out new versions of styles and get the tech on track, I am not looking to buy a new Fitbit every year like the smartphone market has become- I want a quality product that I would consistently choose over my all my other tech. I want the Fitbit on my wrist to be my life- or at least a great recording of the stats of it. 

Thanks Fitbit.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LanuzaFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hello @Xopapop.

Thanks for taking the time to share that idea with us! I'm sure there are other climbers or boulderers that would like to see this implemented.

Let's see what other users have to say.

Ollie65
First Steps

Hi, can you add rock climbing or bouldering to the activities list please?

FrigganSpriggan
First Steps

I too would love to see this feature added... Currently I am using the "Weights" function but I would agree a climbing specific function would be great, and I see lots of fitbits in use at my climbing gym in San Diego, CA

Anonymous20
First Steps

Totally agree. Where is climbing in all its variety. It's huge in Europe. Even more than yoga I think. And skiing yes

JCMelon
Jogger

Couldn’t agree more. I go indoor climbing at least twice a week and it’s my most intense workout and the fit bit doesn’t even register it. My heart rate must shoot up but because I’m moving up and down, nothing gets recorded.

henleyb
Recovery Runner

I started developing a bouldering/climbing app that would use the altimeter and allow you to log what grades you climbed and if you were successful etc. Unfortunately the development kit was really limited and buggy to the point there was no way to do it. Every climb would have to be recorded as a separate activity and custom activities was broken so would all record as 'Activity' rather than a custom name like 'V6' so esentially became pretty pointless and very limited. I had to abandon the project. 😞 

I personally don't record my climbing sessions at the moment, I just wear my Fitbit and it records what it records as normal.

Kim-NL
First Steps
Such an popular sport nowadays, Im sure more people would like this! Now, there is only Rock Climbing, but indoor climbing / bouldering type would be great :). Everytime I log it as Rock climbing it just feels weird - its like logging Volleyball as Soccer, both are with a net and a ball but they are very different 😋
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @mortonboots, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to see bouldering tracking on the exercise app. Thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon.

Jaredtimme
First Steps

I would very much like to have the option to add climbing to quick exercise selection. It's a bit of a hassle to log it after the fact and have it guess how much time I was actively climbing/resting or belaying. I agree having Sport climbing and bouldering categories added would be really neat but I'd settle for the ability to have "rock climbing" as a quick selection 

Dango3P0
First Steps

Hi, 

Climbing and Bouldering is launching in the Olympics tomorrow (3rd August). Yet, it isn't in the quick menus or on the manual menus on the app, but it is on the website to log manually after the fact. The closest option is Stair Climber.... Yet really obscure exercises are on the watch?

Can't be that hard to update this, surely?

Dan

Fitbit Versa 3

Dango3P0
First Steps

Any news on this - it's the Olympic climbing debut today!

Dan

Versa 3

ScaryH
Jogger

Yes, please add climbing to the exercise options! At the very least, let us name our activity correctly - i don't see anywhere to edit the name.

MaxMax99
First Steps

Went indoor rock climbing last night and tried to record on my Fitbit (same as I do when I run every week). Surprised to find the nearest exercise is stair master!! So after 2 hours of ascending the wall, imagine my disappointment to only have it record my calories!!
Quick select option on the wrist to record rock climbing and please show elevation gain!

The other wearables have this option… and honestly… I’m getting tempted…

Joy1961
Jogger

I have just started indoor climbing and bouldering and atm I'm recording it as 'workout' as it certainly feels like a workout but I logged onto the website to see if I could add it to my quick list on my Charge 3. It would appear not. I would really appreciate this being available as I don't use the website much at all.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.