Add Zinc to the nutrition list on the Fitbit App

I just saw a news report tonight about important nutrients we need for improving the effects of covid and the flu.  Vitamin c & d and zinc were all they mentioned.  Can zinc be added to the nutrition in the food part of the app?  The vitamins are already there so that is good.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

4 Comments
GordonFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Developer
Fitbit Developer

Hi @Mom2Jacob 

Zinc is available through the Web APIs, https://dev.fitbit.com/build/reference/web-api/food-logging/#logging-and-deleting-collection-data, and it looks like it is available through the Web application.

Screen Shot 2020-11-20 at 11.50.48 AM.png

But, I don't see it in the mobile application.   I'm going to move your request to the Feature Suggestion forum.  Hopefully, you can use the web application in the meantime.

Gordon

Mom2Jacob
Tempo Runner

Thank you Gordon!  Kind of meant to edit my post.  I found out the FDA does not require zinc on nutrition labels unless it’s added so it probably doesn’t matter since I have no idea how much zinc is in my food ☹️.  It reminds me of vitamin d too, you don’t have to list d unless it is over a threshold which means there are increments of d in most of my food which could add up but instead I show no d everyday.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Mom2Jacob, and thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about adding Zinc to the nutrition list on the Fitbit app. We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. If this suggestion receives votes from other customers and gains popularity, it will be shared internally with various teams at Fitbit. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

You can also check this other suggestion: Custom food detail entry of micro-nutrients including e.g. vitamin D, calcium, iron.

Watch this space for status updates. In the meantime, try visiting Health & Wellness to talk with other members about all things health and fitness.

Semvn
Base Runner

A separate section for micronutrient supplements, including things freaks are taking, like NAC, lysine, arginine, creatine, caffeine, ... (basically any pure product expressed in mg or mcg) would be nice, as this would allow testing efficacy when using a program. This would be a very advanced function professionals and pro-amateurs could use.

Currently a number of vitamins (but not Vit K, I believe) can be linked to food as a percentage, so you could set iron at 100% for a supplement as a workaround, but for common supplements like omega 3, there is no input available. As a general note, the idea of caloric deficit to slim down is wrong, so the focus on calories is too. Still, people should be able to evaluate any diet or food and supplement program.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.