Add a motion detector to activate the clock display

Can you add a motion detector to activate the clock display? Example: wring hand twice, etc. Sometimes you want to know the time, but it's hard to push the button (example in driving, riding and etc.). Thank you!

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject and updated label

24 Comments
jeffer
First Steps

While I understand the reasoning of not offering a always on clock display for the Force (battery life), how about assigning some form of wrist gesture to temporarily activate the clock display?

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
AmritaFitbit
Premium User
Progression Runner

Thanks for posting this idea!

TheRandy
Runner
Using the existing accelerometer, update the firmware to notice the raising wrist motion to display time. When the wrist goes back down, turn off the display.
Nozza87
Jogger
Can the software developers PLEASE have an option for the charge to show the time automatically when you raise it up to your face like some watches can do. I understand this will take a toll on battery so an option to turn on and off would be good. Considering the charge has a 3-axis gyro I guess you just need to define a gesture in the firmware.
PLEASE!! This would make my awesome charge the greatest device ever!
OhioJim
Recovery Runner

My suggestion is similar to Nozza87's suggestion from yesterday (Show time automatically when raising wrist) but a bit different.  Use the accellerometer to turn on the display if you rapidly rotate your wrist 1/4 turn and back.  There are times when you don't have your 'other' hand free to double tap the screen or push the button on the Charge HR.  Some kind of "zero hands" method needs to be found to make the display light up.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable
Doesn't it do this already?
ZimGuy
Recovery Runner

I agree - surely, with the accelerometer in the device, it would be possible to determine when the wrist is brought up horizontally in front of the body and switch the isplay on then.  My simple casio watch does this with the backlight, so it must be possible with a device that has all this advanced tracking capbility.  

Perhaps the gesture can be set to display a specific reading such as clock, steps or heart rate, custom selected as with the double tap.  

mtbooks
First Steps
Flick of the wrist to turn screen on. Many other devices have this and seems like it'd be easy to do given the sensors on these devices.
bradw1
Jogger
If the technology exists, it would be nice to have the fitbit charge/hr/surge turn the screen on automatically when the wrist is brought up to the "What time is it?" position. I think the accelerometer would be accurate enough to do this (as this is not a usual wrist motion during walking" This would be a cool way to always have the time available.
Tzefira
Recovery Runner

Would be wonderful on Charge HR as well, please!

Tzefira
Recovery Runner

Agree with this. I have a Charge HR and having to have two hands free just to see the time is cumbersome. Motion-activated display is the one thing I still greatly miss from the Garmin vivosmart. It'd make the HR so much better.

Holtan
First Steps

Great idea, I would for instance like to check the time while I brush my teeth in the morning so a simple hand gesture (shake or twist of some sort) would be really convenient instead of having to use both hands.

cxl7882
Jogger

WE NEED THE SECOND HAND!   SOMETIMES WE MUST COUNT THE HEART RATE OF OTHERS... 

JJBowie
Jogger

YES YES this is a must-have - no more having to press a button please!

cevanhoe
First Steps
Agreed. It would also be great to have the option to have the clock always displayed. I'd be willing to sacrifice battery life.
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Would love to have this enhancement. The two-taps can stay as an option, but it is cumbersome, especially if carrying something in the opposite hand. A quick flick of the wrist would be ideal and make the great Fitbit Charge HR even greater!

Michael
5K Racer

@mtbooks @SunsetRunner I don't know if you have seen or not, but Fitbit released a firmware update today with a Quick View feature, so that it can display the time when you rotate your wrist and bring it up to view it. You can read about all the changes here. (note: it hasn't been rolled out to everyone yet, so it may still be a day or two before you get offered the update.)

SunsetRunner
Not applicable
This is a great fix! Exactly what I needed to see the time “hands-free.”
Josh3258
First Steps
I love the quick view where you turn wrist and the clock shows up. But I would like it if I could toggle on or off the tap to cycle through when I turn my wrist.
paulkellybc
Jogger
I would like to add the ability to set time restrictions when the wrist flick works. At 2am I find it WAY to bright - and I'm not really wanting to know the time - just changing sleeping position. How about a 'do not show' time?
Base Runner
This is exactly what I complain about. My settings has the backlight ON thinking it would stay on all the time but it doesn't. The Charge HR had the GREAT option when wrist was moved up the clock would turn on. The lighting is very low on the Surge making it very hard to read the notifications. The clock face and notification light on the Charge HR was amazing. I also found the vibration on the Charge HR stronger. Please fix these features.
Status changed to: Released
DerrickS
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

I'm pleased to tell you all that Quick View currently exists for both the Charge HR and Charge in firmware versions 18.84 and 106 respectively!

Click here for more details about the firmware updates and instructions on how to update your firmwa...

Thanks for posting your idea on the Feature Request Board!

Base Runner
Hi, I had the charge HR and it had the motion feature but I upgraded to the surge but the feature does not exist. I am really hoping this will be part of an upgrade because motion is so useful when biking, running, walking, and while driving.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone
jenciz
First Steps
A "do not show" time would be great. The display is way too bright when trying to sleep.
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.