Add more swimming stats (lap times, elapsed time, distance or length) on screen

Upgraded from Ionic to Versa 2. Very disappointed with Swim tracking. Versa 2 lost the ability to keep track of elapsed laps. I have to count manually and that defeats the purpose of a fitness tracker. I was told this is working as designed. I will be returning the Versa 2 to Fitbit until this functionality is added. Going back to Ionic. Need the ability to customize Swim stats by:
- Completed Laps
- Elapsed Time
- Heart Rate   (vote here!)

Moderator edit: Removed personal information and clarified subject

416 Comments
LilyMom115
First Steps

Yes!! I'm disappointed that the watch displays some laps, chopping out laps in the middle, saying laps will be displayed in app. When the laps are displayed, they're shown in calories burned. Like I care about how many calories I burned in roughly 1 minute intervals. Calories per lap is a theoretical value that tells me nothing about my fitness.

What I do care about tracking is the duration of those intervals. Same goes for the run tracking. How many calories I burned during each lap is not useful for training. I want to know how fast I did the interval, so I can track improvements.

What else might be useful information for swimming is the number of strokes per lap. Fewer strokes = more efficiency= stronger swimming. 

SWE_Mansson
First Steps

Lap time on swimming NOW please Fitbit!

Chillihawk
First Steps

Lap times must be added. Please provide a response on the status of this 

FitMomMP
Stepping Up

YES! There is no reason that information can’t show up in the app or on the web. It’s already been collected and right after a swim is available on the watch. Calories per lap is useless information and nothing a swimmer needs or wants to track to see personal improvement. I’ve contacted support multiple times and the only response is to vote in the product forum. There are many strings that cover this same topic yet in a year Fitbit has been unable to make this minor reporting tweak. While I’ve absolitely loved every Fitbit I have owned I am about to jump ship and head to Apple!  

FitMomMP
Stepping Up

Lap time should show in the app and in the web. Calories per lap is useless to a swimmer trying to improve. The information is already collected it should not be difficult to show. Again, I have loved my Fitbit and have been loyal since the first one came out. However, my frustration with this may push me to head to Apple or Garmin! 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

My  Ionic shows splits the first 10 100 yard segments and something like "to see all segments use the app". But the app does not show splits for any segments. Aaargh! Please fix.

creynolds17
First Steps

If Fitbit does not improve it's app to be able to view important swim data (LAP TIME!!!!) I will quickly become a Garmin customer.

Coota
First Steps

Please please include the lap-times for swimming in the app. its way more beneficial to assess your fitness and improvement than calorie burn. 🙂

CookiemanBelge
Recovery Runner

Laptime, even if at the time the watch detects the change is useful. 

Would also like the watch to detect unusually short laps or long laps and offer a remove or split lap feature. Have had bad lap counts on my Versa and have no way to correct them. Yes, I do swim without my hands sometimes, it is part of basic training routines.

Tof-feetje
Jogger

A few weeks ago i bought a fitbit charge 3 for swimming.

It is a bit disappointing what i can see after my exercise, it does not count to active minutes, it does not track heartrate and i can't see lap times.

It is a bit of an expensive lap counter because it is all it does.

The least I expected to be able to see was lap times in the app after my exercise.

Kildee
Jogger

So for over a year fitbit has been getting suggestions TO ADD A LAP COUNTER TO A SPORTS WATCH and still haven't done it.  

Back to Garmin for me.  

squirrely
First Steps

Please add basic swim metrics - lap time as a bare minimum. Strokes per lap would be helpful. Received a Versa as a gift for swimming and it’s basically useless to me in trying to track, analyse and improve.

colojc
Jogger

There are two different feature suggestion threads, possibly more, asking for better swim metrics. Please, FitBit, take notice and improve the metrics ... I had hoped to see improvements with the most recent update, but the app still shows the worthless calories not laps and can't count kickboarding. I still watch it to ensure it's not dropping laps, which is about as bad as when I manually hit a button to record splits on my old Timex Ironman! I shouldn't have to look at the watch so often to monitor whether it's over or under counting! I have the Versa (since release), by the way

Nebbie
First Steps

Create the ability to change the view on an exercise. At the moment when I open a swim exercise, I see Cue, Lengths, Stroke and CALORIES. Instead of Calories, I want to see time per Length.

rmoennike
Stepping Up

Showing calories per lap is utterly useless. Please add time per lap and length.

i gave up on fitbit ever doing this right. I got a moov now and even just in my first swim I am like oh this is what a swim workout data page should look like. Time per length, time swimming and time turning, time resting, stroke count.. its only $50-60 so better than upgrading to a garmin.. It has no display so I will keep the versa so I can keep track of how many yards I have done total while I am in the pool but any useful analysis will be with moov
Kildee
Jogger
Its a shame because the watch had so much potential, but if you try to deal
with them, they are clueless. I was just asking for some kind of
instructions such as what is that chart for every session that isn't
labeled? Nobody knows. They were willing to return my money instead of
just sending me instructions or general information.

There is a place on their website where you can go vote for a change from
the calorie readout to time. But lots and lots of people have voted and
they still don't get that a sports watch needs to time events, not give the
same **ahem** calorie count for each lap.

Dealing with the company is dealing with San Fransisco millennials, so good
luck finding someone who will do more than recite what they are told.

Also, they don't seem to realize that 75% of American adults wear some sort
of corrective lenses that they won't be wearing in the pool so the chances
of not starting the thing or hitting the button twice is about 50/50.

Basically the watch, as a swim watch just sucks.
Shanionie
Recovery Runner

Lap times would be so beyond helpful. I have loved my Fitbit for several years now but am contemplating buying a different watch so I can have this data. Calories per lap are not helpful but our times for each lap are. For those of us that swim train, we need this!!! Thank you for listening to us.

twb_lift_tri
First Steps

Yes! I have no interest in cals/lap. The variability is so small and meaningless. That doesn't help me swim faster. I want to know time per lap. It would also help to separate rest and active. But at least I can do that manually knowing my rest times.

PLEASE TAKE THIS REQUEST MORE SERIOUSLY

SLJ9406
Jogger

Time per lap, please!!! I purchased this watch for the purpose of tracking swims. I realize now it was a mistake, Garmin was the better choice. I assumed Fitbit would have the basic ability to measure swims. You know what they say about assuming.. 

Ditch the useless calorie metric. Time per lap should be a basic starting point for a swim watch.

If you're not going to put the required effort in for making a solid watch for swimming, then stop making them. I've had a Fitbit for a long time. Prior to buying my Ionic, I had a basic Fitbit for step tracking, and another basic tracker I wore just to swim. I'm highly disappointed at the programming of the Ionic. If there's no update to add time per lap before summer, I will ditch my Ionic, and purchase a Garmin, and I'll never spend another cent on a Fitbit product.

I'm not asking the watch to make me an espresso.. just track the time per lap! Basic!

Kildee
Jogger
Totally agree. I have been dealing with their PR people for a couple of
months. Until the last one, they are lazy and clueless. Really
frustrating. I couldn't even get basic instructions for how to set up the
swim app.

Old stop watches have lap times. Its insane that they insist on that
stupid calorie counter. And that idiotic, non-labeled graph is actually
calories per minute. But it doesn't make any sense and even it it did, who
cares?

Go to their facebook page and complain on messenger. They will probably do
nothing, but at least they will get another complaint about the thing.
CookiemanBelge
Recovery Runner
We will never be able to get a time per lap if the watch can't measure laps
when doing only kick drills. I get real frustrated when the watch reports
the wrong number of laps and a simple lap split (user input) would be
useful here to make this work. So when I swim 4x50m free kick, and it says
I swam only 1 lap in 4 minutes, I should be able to split that by
increasing the number of laps in the time interval to 4.
Kildee
Jogger
I had the same problem. I finally got these instructions: The split laps
are different than your counted laps. On Fitbit app, your counted laps are
marked as "lengths." For example, if you swim 200 meters and your pool
length is 50 meter, your counted laps / Fitbit app swim lengths will be 4.
But the split laps depend on the split settings on your Versa. You can go
to your Versa's Exercise app, find "Swim," click the gear icon, click
"Automatic Lap Settings," click "Lap Every," and change your split lap
length setting.

This might be done on the watch instead of the app but that can be changed,
but it still gives that stupid calorie counter.

But the question is, why are two customers having to do this? I am a film
maker and have wanted to do a video review of the watch. I'm getting
closer to doing that. I'm just slammed right now.
The split lap talked about earlier was taking something that wasn’t detected properly b/c arms weren’t used and saying “hey this wasn’t 1 lengths it was 4”.

I picked up a $50 moov and it has the ability to detect rest, swim and turn times.. (and it even detected most kick laps but that was b/c I didn’t use a kick board so there was some arm motion) one would think something that cost 4-5 times that would be able to do even the most basic of give me the total time per lap!
CookiemanBelge
Recovery Runner
The split laps I am talking about is regarding cases where the watch is
unable to count your laps because you doing only kick exercise. Since I am
somewhat more intelligent than the watch, I know I have just swum 200m but
the watch thinks I have only done 50m (because it only noticed one lap due
to poor lap detection). In that case, I want to manually split that one lap
to 4 so the timing for the one lap is also split evenly across all 4.
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.