Add stationary bike to auto-detected exercise

Many of us own stationary bikes for a variety of reasons and it's excellent cardiovascular exercise. You really need to add this as an option because recommended "fixes" do not accurately record minutes, average heart rate or distance. Due to knee issues, this is the exercise recommended by my doctor and PT. There is a large community waiting for this feature on the Blaze and other products.

Moderator Edit: Updated Subject For Clarity / Labels

34 Comments
Jack27
Jogger

Totally agree

JeromyE
Recovery Runner

I don't want to be welcomed to the fourm community because it's just corporate cut and paste non-customers service.

I don't want to be told that suggestions are always reviwed by developers because they are not. 

I don't want to be told of some "work around" that doesn't actually work.

I want, as do THOUSANDS of other Fitbit users, the stationary bike to be added to the exercise data base. 

Fitbit developers - Do what your customers want and need to continue to monitor our health and wellness.

Thank you. 

Bakra
First Steps

I agree.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Since your arms are barely moving while on a stationary bike, this might be difficult, but for now use the spinning option

Gordonw
First Steps

Add me and my wife to the list as well please

Eninaj
Jogger

It's ridiculous and strange that my hr recognises a 15 minute car journey to and from work as excercise but not actual stationary bike when I'm pedalling like mad and with a raised heart rate.  Please arrange for stationary bike which isvoften part of my workout to be added to auto recognition excercise 

Gordonw
First Steps

Mine has started recognising it at elliptical machine instead of bike but usually I just hold down the workout button and peddle like mad and it uses my heart rate to work out calories burned

spingirl70
First Steps

I'm pretty disappointed to find my new Alta HR doesn't recognise spinning. This is the gym class I do most and sweat my butt off! I got a speedy response from Fitbit support and they explained that as it's not step based it's not recognised but that they thought it would be awesome to build this into newer models. I'm deciding whether to take my tracker back. I bought one with a heart monitor in the mistaken belief that this would pick up all exercises but now I wonder if the heart tracker is a gimmick. Anyhow, please like if you'd also like to see this addition to the Alta. Bx

Moderator edit: Edit labels & Clarified Subject

spingirl70
First Steps

I'm pretty disappointed to find my new Alta HR doesn't recognise spinning. This is the gym class I do most and sweat my butt off! I got a speedy response from Fitbit support and they explained that as it's not step based it's not recognised but that they thought it would be awesome to build this into newer models. I'm deciding whether to take my tracker back. I bought one with a heart monitor in the mistaken belief that this would pick up all exercises but now I wonder if the heart tracker is a gimmick. Anyhow, please like if you'd also like to see this addition to the Alta. Bx

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

This might be possable in the future.

The problem now is that no two units act the same.

Reality checking

With some machines the arm barely moves, its hard to detect what is happening when the sensor isnt doing anything. 

Other machines, because are so flimsy they bounce the arm randomly around.

Most units fall in the middle someplace.

Thrre are also those that use rollers and a normal bike.

SwallowSusan
First Steps

I would like to add my voice to adding static bike to the standard exercises on the Fitbit charge 2.  Since my hip replacement I use the static bike a couple of times a week along with outdoor cycling and walking.  I had assumed that Fitbit would be able to track all my exercises so am very disappointed that a third of my exercises are missing from my total.  I certainly wouldn't have bought it if I had known.

Disrunkled Fitbit Owner.

DavidHR
Jogger

I would also ask that you adjust the App for my Alta HR so that stationary biking is recorded as an Exercise. It is already being recorded in the Active Minutes section of the App so it seems doable as the data is being captured already by the App. Once it is in the Active Minutes section I'll be able to observe my heart rate during the work out and get 'credit' for the exercise. Personally, I'm ok with it not also being included in the step count as that is a different form of exercise but right now it isn't being captured at all. 

Seems an easy fix and there certainly is a lot of demand for it. Including from others who become frustrated but don't bother reaching out to complain. My wife got a Charge 2 and couldn't figure out why only some of her activities were being recorded. I've now explained to her - she remains a frustrated client but won't reach out so she and others like her aren't in your stats.

Thanks for considering the above.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

It will not be as easy as one might think.. Fitbit needs to any lose the movement of the wrist to determine the exercise being dpne.. Unfortunately on a stationary bike with the hand attached to a stationary handlebar the arm doesn't move a whole lot.. Without arm movement they're is nothing to analyze. 

DavidHR
Jogger
If your heart rate is high and your hand isn't moving it isn't a big leap as to what exercise is being undertaken.

Then just show it as a Exercise with the corresponding HR and voila - you get a credit for exercise and can look at your heart rate pattern - but no steps which is appropriate.
Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Or maybe something happened and the user is under stress. High heart rate and not moving because in shock. Must be on a stationary bike. 

Regulation
Jogger

Add my vote to add tracking for stationary bikes including recumbent stationary bikes.

AnonEMouse
First Steps

One of many to request adding stationary bike to auto detected exercise

SwallowSusan
First Steps
It’s brilliant to see replies still coming in to my original post, let’s hope Fitbit takes notice. I did read another post where the guy said he put the Fitbit on his ankle. I have the gold strap which doesn’t undo completely so I can’t put the strap around my ankle, but I just place it on the inside of my ankle and my sock holds it in place. The distance spun obviously can’t be accurate but your heartbeat is as near as damm it. I select Elliptical as the workout as don’t want to confuse it with outdoor cycling.
Hope this reply helps.

Sent from my iPad
SkinnierMe
First Steps

Seems odd to me that after multiple requests for a stationary bike option on the exercise setting - Fitbit hasn't come through.  What are you waiting for?  My doctor wants me to use the stationary bike as my exercise option after having a complete knee replacement.  Get with it - Fitbit!

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

@SwallowSusan why not put your tracker into its spinning mode, that is what the exercise on a stationary bike is called 

SkinnierMe
First Steps

My email said, "put your tracker into its spinning mode, that is what the exercise on a stationary bike is called".  How do I do this on my Alta HR?  I can't find anything that corresponds to this.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

sorry @SkinnierMe the alta HR doesn't have this option. 

Part of the problem with detecting a stationary bike, is that the handlebars or stationary. This means the tracker barely moves, Fitbit has to look at the data durring recorded spinning and see if there is something unique in the tracker a movements. With the hand stationary on the handlebars, or swinging of the bars in not sure if this is going to be possible. 

SwallowSusan
First Steps

@khm617 wrote:

Many of us own stationary bikes for a variety of reasons and it's excellent cardiovascular exercise. You really need to add this as an option because recommended "fixes" do not accurately record minutes, average heart rate or distance. Due to knee issues, this is the exercise recommended by my doctor and PT. There is a large community waiting for this feature on the Blaze and other products.

Moderator Edit: Updated Subject For Clarity / Labels

SwallowSusan
First Steps

Can’t see spinning as an option on my charge 2.  I can see it on the app but not on the actual Fitbit.  At the moment I am still selecting bike and putting the Fitbit on my ankle.  Strange but it works.  When on the road it’s no problem as I can connect to my iPhone and map the route, but during the winter I am in the garage on a static bike, so any suggestions appreciated.

Rice1647
First Steps

Another disappointed customer here . . . why not just make a Fitbit specifically for stationary bikers?

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.