Adding Friends by name or user name

I just want to be able to search friends by name 

Moderator edit: edited title and labels.

48 Comments
Cassian
Runner

I've been trying to find a way to add my friend based on their username for ten minutes; it seems there is no way, and it must be done by profile URL, which doesn't contain the username but instead an apparently random string of letters. Even putting someone's username into the "search users" box yields no results.

My friend has sent me their username over Twitter using their phone and they're currently away from a computer so getting the profile URL is difficult.

I'd like to be able to add friends using their username. Failing that, the profile link could contain the username rather than the random string of letters.

Sunshinesdad
Recovery Runner

Great and fantastic idea.  All the other sites I go to have this feature I am not sure why Fitbit doesn't have it yet.

Truth
Jogger

Agreed, and with them allowing you to connect with facebook (and with their being so many social media sites) seems like a natural progression to adding friends. In addition, I think there's a lot more of interaction that could be available within the friends area to generate more participation.

tob323
Jogger

The "friend finding" function is abysmal in Fitbit.  First, it looks at my address book - but only presents first name and maybe a pic (If I have one) but I have 22 people named Mike in my address book, and can't quite figure out exactly who is who.

Why can't I search for friends who are NOT in my iOS contact list by name or email and add them as friends?  

This is about the worst friend search/addition process I have encountered in many years of using social networks.

Love the product - but this is really disappointing and sub-par for Fitbit.

@tomob

CatZ150
Recovery Runner

Agree - I would like to add people by a generic username as well (people who I've met on forums, but don't particularly want to hand out my email address to).

Samora
First Steps

I concure.  This is such an intuative and available option on every other social networking site I use, it wasn't until I spent 20 minutes looking for this option (and failing to find it) that I resorted to coming to the help forums only to find out that it does not exist.  Why have usernames if you can use them to locate users?  

dolly
Recovery Runner

This is a SUPER idea!!!  For many of the Fitbit Challenges, my friends have invited their friends - peeps I am certain would be positive friends for me to have.  However, my only info is their username and I am unable to use that to send a friend request.

As I do not have an email address and I do not use Facebook, those options are simply not available to me.

Much like the comments before mine, I cannot comprehend why this simple feature - available on most other social sites - is not an integral part of FitBit.

Please considering incorporating this ability for your members use.

TB5918
Base Runner

This really should be under consideration as a next improvement. I also have a Jawbone UP, and the ability to find friends there (while also flawed) is much more robust and user friendly.

Adding this feature is a no-brainer!

RandyWood84
Recovery Runner
@roxischlue, I ageee. I can't believe that I can't search people out by name and request adding like "John Smith" from Salt Lake City, UT. I know certain friends have fitbits, but for some reason have not connected them to their Facebook (or don't even have Facebook) and there is no real way to add them.
KelseyMommy
First Steps
Right? You can put in their email but that is a pain. Agreed!
LEILER
First Steps

I am truly surprised that this feature isn't available. Really? Wow! Cuz I'll tell you the problem ... You might have email addresses of people to search that way, but it could be their work email. And it's not like everyone sets up their fitbit with their work email, it's usually a personal email or something like that. So to not be able to search by name, that is surprising. I'd have a lot more "friends" if I could search by name.

Please consider this option.

Thank you!

Leila

nixona1031
First Steps

Having friends on FitBit adds to the excitment and challenges of meeting and exceeding 10K steps per day.  When trying to add friends the inconvenience of having to know email address instead of searching by name is kind of a hassle.  Some people do link their account with Facebook but not everyone so another opportunity is lost in having more friends and more fun.  May we have the option of searching for our friend by their name and not just their email address?  I personally have had trouble adding friends by their email address and they have too.  Customer service was very kind to assist me in this area but it would be another hassle to contact them every time friends couldn't add friends.

Jolson54812
Jogger

Please add this, fitbit!

seeya
First Steps

The find friend feature is horrible - currently it only looks in my address book on my phone and allows me to email invite people. I know of many people who use Fitbit, but if we don't have each other in our address books, or know the correct email they registered under, we can't add each other.  

It would be great to create a broader friend finder platform (all those in the Community), so we can find friends in the database simply by inputting their name (similar to Facebook).  

It's so frustrating trying to connect with people!

Gandhi
Distance Runner

Would love to see a quick Friend finder from the existing friend list I have.

Moderators is that possible to work on?

Thanks 

Elennare
Recovery Runner

I have no intention of connecting my Fitbit to Facebook, and have several friends who also have Fitbits.  It would be nice to be able to send them a friend request without having to do the whole email thing.

elksaine
Recovery Runner

I want to be able to find people by their name... I have no clue what my friends' emails are, we are in an age of text/instant messsage/chat and what not, we rarely email people anymore and have no reason to know their email.

Prosser72
Recovery Runner

I would love the idea to search by Name and not by e-mail or Facebook. Come on fitbit. Lets make it happen.

mrsandmami
Jogger

This right there! I agree. It is very frustrating knowing I have friends who use Fitbit and not being able to find or add them. There should be a search by name option. Or at the very least: give us a username option to search by so we can find each other through that (@Fitbit type of deal)!

Teriah
First Steps

I totally agree with seeya! And thank you seeya for your request.

DreamTigress
First Steps

In total agreement with this. So many folks don't want to connect everything with Facebook, and it seems like it would be so much easier to just be able to search for friends by name or e-mail.

shockka3
First Steps

I totally agree.  Not being able to search by name is very frustrating and annoying!  Fitbit needs to change this ASAP!

mfaine
Jogger

I too would really like to see this.  I was looking for some vegan friends on fitbit but I see you have to have their email address of Facebook.  I do not do Facebook.  I understand the privacy concerns, really I do, it's why I don't do Facebook.  However, there is no reason why it could not be a setting in the profile.  Personally, I'd accept about any friend request but I could always deny the request if I wanted to so I don't see the issue with allowing requests by name.

Skyerules
Runner

I came over to say this same thing.  I know people from a forum I belong to, we all have usernames, and I don't know these people well enough to want to give out my email address.  If I could look someone up by thier user name would be great.  

Hartleyg
First Steps
I'm trying to find my friend on fit but through username because she doesn't have a Facebook, doesn't check her email, and is not on my contacts.
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.