Adopt shorter development cycle and/or hire a product manager for FitbitOS

I'm getting a strong impression that improvement of FitbitOS is non-existent 😞 Basic features like alarm are not getting fixed for over a year. Improvements that would make some apps on the watch much more viable (like exposing basic crypto functions) aren't getting implemented as well.

I don't know what are the reasons for this state, maybe there just aren't enough people behind FitbitOS. But I would love to see FitbitOS doing much better than this. I would love to see changes implemented and released on the order of days/weeks instead of years. I would love to see the direction of the product actually motivated by how people use it.

I really like what you did with Versa, it looks and feels very nice. And I'm sad to admit this, but because it fails to perform some of the basic functions I need from it, I'm contemplating the possibility of returning it and getting some Android watch instead 😞

Please, try to improve this situation in any way you can, because currently the future doesn't look very bright.

5 Comments
Jblanco
Jogger

Well said. 

why im currently having an issue with adding a feature. 

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
JonFitbit
Fitbit Developer
Fitbit Developer

Thanks for the feedback. While I can't comment on general product feature requests, the SDK has been consistently improving since the beta program ended this time last year.

Since then, we shipped multiple firmware and SDK releases, support for Versa, the multi device simulator, the command line interface, and much more. We also began implementing crypto functionality in Fitbit OS 2.2 https://dev.fitbit.com/blog/2018-10-05-announcing-fitbit-os-2.2/#cryptographic-digest

We'll be shipping much more as the OS, SDK and tooling continues to mature.

Adfernz
Jogger

My Blaze stopped working, Fitbit offered me a 25% discount on a new Fitbit, what a joke.  Thanks, but no thanks.

DaAQVWwV
Base Runner

Also lack of bug tracker shows that FItBit is not interested (or software team is too small, not well organized) in fixing found bugs in all parts of software as Android/iOS applications. That can be part of problem of slow new feature adding and bug fixes.

FitBit acquired Pebble long ago, I hoped to switch to Fitbit to get similar experience, but no luck.  Android app is full of bugs and no one in Fitbit is paying attention to bugs as money already payed for devices.

imax9000
First Steps

@JonFitbitthank you for the update, it's really nice to see improvements. But it still feels like too little too late 😞 I hope that Fitbit will be able to pick up the pace and deliver a truly amazing product in the future.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.