Allow Offline syncing / Store data locally

I think you should be able to sync with your phone and then upload data at a later date. Let us store data locally so that an internet connection is not required to see current stats.

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

646 Comments
Rich_Laue
Community Legend

I understand that @AlFu if you don't have WiFi or cellular access then as for the Internet you are offline. 

Your phone will receive texts and happily send them on to the tracker. As for email your phone will not receive them while not Conner Ted to the Internet which is what this thread is about. 

If your 3 ways to access the world are on then this thread does not concern you at all. 

IrishRover
First Steps

My only problem with the fitbit is when I have no internet during travel, it will not sync with the app. Please update the app to allow for an offline mode.

Some of us travel and don't always have a connection. I realize the fitbit will hold data for a week, but it would be helpful to allow the app to sync with the device offline when on the treadmill etc... as you can see the steps easier on the phone than trying to view the device.... Plus it won't record sleep times etc..

Thank you

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Hello @IrishRover why not add your vote to the existing request that popped up with your search. 

Tags1416
First Steps

If you have a fitbit, you should be able to get your stats without being connected to the internet.  Once the app is downloaded, the app should operate without internet.  You should be able to see and save all your stats.  Not everyone has a smartphone or can be connected 24/7.  

bNIRAJ
First Steps
Enable app to download selected workouts locally in phone.Generally mobile signals at parks are not strong this keeps us waiting to download the session.
EmTe
Tempo Runner

Pairing the Ionic/Versa with a smartphone using the Fitbit phone app requires an Internet connection. Without an Internet connection, the phone app will be stuck on the device selection screen even after selecting your device and will be greeted with a forever spinning wheel.

If my Internet connection is restored temporarily, it proceeds to the next step, but then gets stuck at the ToS screen, which also requires an Internet connection to continue.

Although you'd expect a person to pair their device only once, I surprisingly need to pair my device once or twice a week.

Firstly, sometimes the device just simply stops receiving notifications. The only remedy is to unpair and then pair again. Then I own multiple devices and like to swap between them so I need to unpair one and pair the other.

The option to sync data to my phone or laptop while offline would be incredibly helpful. I am in the military and go weeks at a time where I cannot access the internet to get my watch to sync to another device. My watch becomes fairly worthless when I am unable to sync all of the data it has collected or I start to lose old data because I am unable to access the internet to sync it. If there was a way to plug my watch into my laptop and sync to the Fitbit program on my computer for storage until I can connect to the internet and the Fitbit servers, I would truly find it helpful. 

anttna
Jogger

There's a lot of controversy about what data is being collected and how it's used on many devices and websites etc. etc. I don't want get into that but I do expect to be able to see the actual Fitbit data on the app you provide.

I bought this Fitbit and you say it syncs  with the app by blue tooth what you neglect to say is you want the data on you servers in realtime so you must be connected to the internet somehow either by cell phone or wifi.

That's not useful if your out of cell phone coverage or wifi, like I have been hiking and camping in the mountains. I wanted to look over MY data for more detail on the app low and behold I couldn't, not because its not possible to sync through bluetooth but because you  can't wait to get a hold of my data.

My suggestion, which im sure as been suggested before, take the data when connectivity is active again but don't stop us using what we have paid for the promise of being able to sync to the app through blue tooth.

This should be #1 priority allow people to sync out of coverage.

justkeepwalking
Base Runner

While traveling it would be nice to be able to set the time on my fitbit. Many of the places we are have no internet available.  I know you can't sync but the correct time would be helpful.

DavidandVal
First Steps

Living life full time on the road - between both Australia and New Zealand we are often out of WiFi range (Internet connection) for days at a time.

Currently unless we are able to log into the internet we are unable to even download our daily FitBit Charge 2 activities and sleep patterns to the computer.

It would be really helpful if the computer and the FitBits could communicate without the internet connection, and simply update once the Internet Access was available.

We use 2 FitBits and 1 computer as well, so we have to log in and out to swap between my wife's and my records,

DavidandVal
First Steps

Every time I log in the whole of the data on the PC would resync with the
master software.

By not doing this currently they actually loose all the data that was there
and is "thrown away" through the lack of connection.

Moderator Edit: Personal info removed

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

@daveg208 it is not let they collect data which they have been doing since their day one, but Fitbit is designed to be socal with it's challanges, communities, and leaderboards.

Having an offline sync would be like reading Facebook while not being able to load Facebook. 

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @DavidandVal, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us,this feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here as it is not currently planned. Thanks for your understanding, I hope to see you around.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Sadly after two years of intensive use I lost my Charge 2. It sure helped me through a difficult (healthwise) period. BUT: it annoyed me many times also. 

* Travelling to a different time-zone I first haven to buy a local data-sim before my watch will just display the proper time. It only does that after syncing, mind you.

* During our long distance hikes we often have no data connection so during the day I only can check my steps and other progress on the tiny screen, mind you.

So for now, I will be signing off and looking for another brand.

You always can email me when you realised this feature. I do not oppose your data-collection. Everybody does that, but it can be done when I am online. 
But first comes first: customer satisfaction is being able to use the App and my data all time.

Or are your watches only meant for use at home or in the city or in the gym?

MarcelBK
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @SunsetRunner, thanks for sharing your idea and your feedback with us, this feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here as it is not currently planned. You can still vote by clicking on the thumbs up button.

othello162
Stepping Up

I know, that this (or similar) issue was in the feature suggestions already more times and it ware refused.

But I suggest to consider again, that the phones (in worst case a PC/Mac) nowadays are quite resourceful to handle all the tasks, which are processed now in the server.

Today, when more and more data security problems arouses, it should be allowed to use the tracker and the app without any data traffic to and from the cloud. It should be made possible for a user to decide not to use the social network possibilities.

Implementing such a configuration, you could gain lots of new users .

DianaField
First Steps

I work on a cruise ship and I am constantly changing time zones. I also don't have access to free internet and can pay a lot to use megabytes at sea. Therefore I would love the option to be able to sync my Charge 3 just over Bluetooth without the need for internet. Surely if it's just your phone and your fitbit, internet shouldn't be involved? I will lose my 7 days of stored information if I cannot go ashore or find free wifi, as I do not wish to pay extra to use internet just to sync my fitbit. 

I'm sure this is relatable with other travellers who may work in other areas. 

Please consider making this change as currently my fitbit is useless and I just purchased it. Thank you. 

tigger25
Recovery Runner
I am on a cruise and agree that syncing and changing time without going on the internet would be helpful.
MarcelBK
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @DianaField, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us, this feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here as it is not currently planned.

Sethwotte
First Steps

I go on long and remote canoe expeditions. Some of these have been sponsored and publicized. They can be as long as 4 months at a time. I can charge the fitbit and my phone using a small solar panel. I was really disappointed to learn that I won't be able to sync my data. My understanding was that it only required bluetooth to sync. Apparently, the fitbit app will not operate properly to display data without an internet connection. I feel cheated! Can you fix this problem, so that people who go places with no mobile phone service or mobile internet can view their data?

Michael.BNE
Jogger

This would be valuable for me too. Fitbit is already ahead of Garmin in this regard - storing 30 days of summary data rather than 7, and is one of the reasons I've stuck with Fitbit. It would be much more useful it detailed data could be retained during extended activities in remote areas.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Sethwotte , thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us,this feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here as it is not currently planned. Thanks for your understanding, I hope to see you around.

pohlcat01
Base Runner

When on a cruise the WiFi plans were far to expensive for me to justify purchasing them. Plus I was on vacation, too busy to be on my devices...

I ran into a problem were I could not control my watch at all. I would open the app and just an error. I did not need to see historical data but I did want to do things like change timezone and log water and sync to keep track of steps look at HR, workouts, etc. 
My watch was completely unusable for a week. Not very smart for a smart device. 
I think having the app be able to control the watch and cache data until an Internet connection becomes available would be a great feature. Maybe even have a setting to cache a certain amount of days worth of data in the app so the app doesn't have to reach out the servers as often.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

@pohlcat01 we all ready have a suggestion for off line sync. 

Allow Offlinesyncing / Store data locally

Sorry @Gingeremma this suggestion is not about the dashboard. 

You might want to add a comment to

Gingeremma
Jogger

I realised that after I’d posted on here! I couldn’t delete it though... how can I delete my comment?

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.