Allow Offline syncing / Store data locally

I think you should be able to sync with your phone and then upload data at a later date. Let us store data locally so that an internet connection is not required to see current stats.

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

646 Comments
ashishenoy
Recovery Runner

Just chiming in since my much older request was merged here - my Fitbit is basically useless if i travel or go camping - the time zone doesn't change and alarms go off at odd hours until I can find an internet connection. Offline syncing for time and alarms would be a huge improvement and wouldn't even require that much local storage.

ahasenko
Jogger

One more vote for offline syncing/data storage.

I bought my Charge HR specifically for monitoring myself while trekking/climbing in Nepal for two months, only to find out that I need an internet connection for it to work. There is no internet access in the areas I'll be trekking/climbing so the Fibit purchase was a waste of money.

You should at least make it abundantly clear in your ads and literature that a full-time (or at least daily) internet connection is required for this product to work.

Signed- An Unhappy Camper  😞

RandyVH
First Steps
I am military, and deploy often to places with no WiFi access. I can't sync my Charge and phone when they are literally 1 inch apart if my phone cannot access the Internet. I use my Charge for many things, including my alarm so I don't wake up every one around me, but this is not possible if I cannot access the Internet. I recommend an update to allow the user to sync without Internet access, or even have this as a setting option.
Mel_R
First Steps

Being able to use the Fitbit via a Bluetooth only connection would greatly improve the functionality of this device for people who travel a lot. The lack of ability for syncing (via Android device) without internet connection is problematic as there are many occasions where I do not have internet and that I would like to sync the device - for example, being out of cell phone range, travelling in a country with data usage fees, on a plane. Thank you. 

snacdaws102
Recovery Runner
Allowing offline sync would greatly improve the battery life of devices because having to turn on both data/WiFi and Bluetooth is a battery killer only succeeded by gps and screen drain
dannyd85
Recovery Runner

This is a must! I went on holidays (cruise) where interent is charged at crazy rates ($25 an hour!). And I was very dissapointed that sudennly my fitbit would not sync time with my phone (changing time zones, hello!) couldn't turn on/off my alarms (I'm on holidays!) or see how many calories i burned/steps walked a day before... 

Very dissapointed, I don't understand why internet is needed for this! I  am a recent UP switcher, which had no such needs!

Rainbird
Recovery Runner

Four months and over 300 votes, surely this can be implemented soon?

Reload
First Steps

The CHarge HR and all fitbits should absolutley include these features:

1) indepentent operation free from internet connection

2) private data storage on phone or PC with ZERO data transmission to fitbit or any other company

3) absolute control over what goes where in all cases

4) bluetooth disablement  util suich time as the user decides it is needed

Reload
First Steps

I was very annoyed when I discovered that the only way I could access the data my HR collects is to see it on a public server. WHY should I have to log in to a company server (Fitbit) to see MY data. For this reason alone, I am already thiniing about halting use of this thing, which I just received for my birthday a couple days ago.

I should be able to upload to my PC, and KEEP IT THERE. No transmission to an outside location. I see no reason at all to automatically have it stored on YOUR servers. You have no business knowing my business. That should be an option, not a requirement. I have no way to recover my information when you DO get hacked.

Please, create a way to keep MY info in MY possession - not yours. I want a local store option for my PC and the phone app.

ddennison
First Steps

I totally agree.  I recently went on a backcountry hunting trip for a week in a wilderness area and had hoped to use my Charge to quietly wake me every morning.  Much to my dismay, I realized after I had left cell coverage that you cannot program the alarm without having access to the internet.  So, I had to take my phone into the backcountry solely to be used as an alarm clock.  The inability to change the alarm when you don't have internet service is a HUGE shortcoming.

Please fix this ASAP!!!!!

circlecircle
Recovery Runner

This is about people who are avid runner or walker, but do not have internet or smart phone access! I am sure it is possible to build a small portable device, that can show all the stats etc, and does not need internet or smartphone!

I am particularly concerened because, my father is 85 years old, and my mother is 75 years old, and they do not have enough knowledge about the tech things!

rjdibert
Recovery Runner

I am 70 and very computer savy (Iam an artist and have taught photoshop for over 20 years!) but I do not want to link to a smartphone and I already spend hours on the net everyday...so it is often a matter of not just lack of knowledge but of CHOICE!

Zachimud
First Steps

This would be great! Along the same lines would be syncing the alarms so that I could set a silent alarm without having cell phone service. 

I am glad this is going up for review.  

I just wanted to voice why it would be useful for me.  I often work overseas and do not always have reliable internet.  It would be nice to upload to my computer to save my progress that can be added when the Internet is up again.  

Especially changing the alarms, my favorite feature.  But you can not change it without Internet.  

rubbercake
First Steps

I couldn't agree more. I am active duty in the Navy and we go out to sea for weeks or months at a time with NO internet connection at all. What am I supposed to do with my activity tracker if I get sent on a 7-8 month deployment without the ability to upload my data? Wouldn't it be nice if you could just store that on the phone? I'm SURE the phone can display number of steps and hours slept while offline. And if the tracker data is taking up too much space for weeks worth of on-device storage, allow us to set a limit on the MB or GB stored.

But I see you've posted this in June and it's still not a feature 😞 Thus it leads me to believe that FitBit will never make this a feature and doesn't particularly care about it. Guess I'll just get rid of my tracker if I go to sea 😞

lgyisme
First Steps

we really need this feature. fitbit, please.

lgyisme
First Steps

I believe it's not only these people who want this feature. Many people don't know the channel to escalate their request. If you post this request on your main page, I believe thousands of people will vote.  

Please take action. Don't disapoint your customers any more.

WillMakin
First Steps

I am dissapointed to find that I can only communicate between my new FitBit One and my HTC Desire 610 when my mobile has an Internet connection. If the technology is already there is why can the two devices not pass information via bluetooth to be stored in the phone until it can be uploaded.

I am sure that I am not the only person who is not connected to the internet all the time, being restricted to those times I am within a WiFi area. I bought the FitBit thinking that when we went on a walk that all the information would be ready for me to read on the phone at the end, probably in the middle of a field well away from any WiFi. Now I am restricted to finding a WiFi source before I can get the full picture.

It is annoying that the only time I can open the app on my phone is when I am connected to the Internet. Surely it would make sense to be able to view the stored information whenever I wanted?

Had I realised this situation I would have continued to look until I found equipment that would do what I wanted.

I hope that you will be able to add this to your list of 'things to be considered' and make the necessary alterations to the software as soon as possible.

thirty1knots
First Steps

Has anyone heard when/if fitbit will apply the ability to sync with a computer/mobil device offline?  This is a critical flaw, and if I had understood that this was an issue before hand, I probably would not have purchased a fitbit product.

PeerPlex
Stepping Up

I totally agree. At the very least it should be possible adjust the time zone and set the alarm without internet access.

Bobdeejay
First Steps
Hi, I have recently got into hiking and have found that data from Surge is wonderful when using the gps to track progress, as these hikes go for multiple days it would be great if the Surge could sync with the Fitbit app on cell phone and store the data until service is available (network of WiFi) this would remove the chance of loosing data.
jdcowboy
Jogger

I see all the arguments about sync and the fact that people like things on the cloud.  The cloud is nice, but if you are in an area that does not have an internet connection and would like to make a change to your watch or review data then you're out of luck.  Offline sync should be an option, but a manual only option, this will alleviate the problem of the watch inadvertently synching to an offline device.  When that device does aquire an internet connection it will automatically upload all (automatic and manual) synched data.

howdtee
First Steps
I agree. And why shouldn't I have the option not to have to upload my private fitness data to the world before I can see it.
Lseaturtle
First Steps

As someone whose job routinely takes them out of both internet and cell phone reception for more than 7 days at a time, allowing fitbit to sync with a phone/laptop and then upload data at a later date would be a very valuable asset. I would still utilize the online, webapage application when in an urban environment but I would be ecstatic if I could gather all my data for safekeeping while 'out of touch.'

Gerarayo
First Steps

The missing of this feature is the WORST thing about fitbit, really, I can't understand why an expensive tracker like fitbit has huge limitations about its use, this is unforgivable!

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.