Allow helper apps on phone, similar to Pebble

In the Pebble app ecosystem, developers could create "helper" apps that were installed on the user's Android or iOS device. The watch app could then communicate with the helper app, enabling more features to be created that aren't already part of the fitbit device or phone app. One great example was "Music Boss", which provided a far superior music control for the Pebble devices.

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

2 Comments
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Nice suggestion @ChadHadsell and thanks for sharing within the community. We look forward to hearing what other developers think.

YossiStarz
Recovery Runner

I have recently bought a Fitbit versa. Immediately started to fill my versa with apps that each and every one of them had some sort of companion app which was running under the fitbit background process. the more I have add apps to my watch that used internet/companion apps, the more times in a day I had to force stop fitbit's app on my phone and reopen it, because it just started to hang and fail syncing.

So, at bare minimum, this solution will improve the reliability of using watch apps.

Other thing is, currently I have no possible solution for how to view my work calendar from my phone on my watch. Since I cant approve to external service to fetch my work mail, but it is configured on my phone so I can grant other apps to retrieve my colander from the phone. Implementing a calendar app that has a companion on my phone which is native phone app would have solved my issue easily. 

Same goes for things like quick contacts app. Which allows to select several favorites and by pressing on one, we could initiate a phone call. And even start the call in speaker mode in case that there is no Bluetooth headphones connected which would be amazing.  And this is just the start :).

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.