Allow us to re-categorize exercises on new Fitbit app

I used to be able to rename my workouts, but the new update no longer allows this on the android app or on the website dashboard. Please fix this.

Moderator edit: Clarified subject
180 Comments
Geesubya54
First Steps

Yes, I was explicitly told that the updated app no longer has this functionality.

JayMac3
First Steps
When I use my rowing machine, Fit Bit detects it as an Elliptical. Before I converted my account to Google, I was able to edit the exercise. Now I cannot. This is definitely a drawback, among other things ( the look, the inability to see how charged the battery is, and the general cumbersome nature of it) I really am not impressed with the changes.
Dmha
First Steps

Ok, new upgrade, no sleep score, no readiness score, only one metric in health metrics.  And probably more things so haven’t seen yet.  There is nothing here that my Premium subscription is supposed to have.  Are the glitches going to be fixed, or is it time for me to move on to Apple?

Pealion
Recovery Runner

Even if anyone from Fitbit does bother to respond, let's be real, it won't add anything useful to the conversation. Their customer service is non-existent. 

judetheobscure
Base Runner

Just an update - I was able to go to the online Fitbit dashboard (ie. not the app) and edit all my exercise there. Had about 20 to do dating back to 29th Sept when this unwanted update was forced upon us. However the relief to see it all sync to the app so it's once more categorised. Fingers crossed they don't cannibalise the online platform too. 

Hiker742
Recovery Runner

judetheobscure

Could you share how you were able to edit exercises on online dashboard. I can find no way to do that on my version of dashboard.

Thanks

Hiker 742

Hiker742
Recovery Runner

Never mind, I figured it out. One can edit the activity/exercise in the activity history list.

Hiker 742

LoveSports
Recovery Runner

Found history and could edit activity. Nice additional feature is it allowed me to create a customized workout. I have been trying to get them to add pickleball for about 5 years without success.

Not sure why this couldn't be done through the app though!

LoveSports
Recovery Runner

One other thing- Fitbit support could have easily shown us how to edit activities in history rather than just say "you can no longer do it in the app."

LAZY and UNINFORMED

LoveSports
Recovery Runner

How long did it take to synch on the app? All my logged activities no longer appear in the app!

Paul67
Jogger

Another feature apparently gone is the ability to add steps if you have done an activity and forget to have your fitbit on. What is even more annoying is the chat workers don't seem to understand my question and want me to go back to the goals page then steps and I can add the steps there. When I told her all that would do is modify my daily step goal. Her response go to the comment page!

Pealion
Recovery Runner

It's such a faff having to log into the desktop site to be able to edit activities though. A step backwards which is so perverse!

And it's not possible to edit all exercise entries this way either. Auto-detected entries or manual entries I can edit. But any entries that are logged via the device itself cannot be edited (no pencil icon). So the only way to change these is to duplicate it manually and delete the original entry. So fiddly and non user-friendly. 

ikiwis
Jogger

Thanks Jude the Obscure (love that book btw)!

While this helps, would really like this functionality back on the app.  Two factor authentication to manually edit tiny text is poor user experience. 

TammyKinPA
Base Runner

Every tracker I've had (one Charge 2 and three Versa 2's) has auto-detected "Outdoor Bike" every time I mow my lawn, and I edit the exercise to be "Mowing Lawn" after the fact.  If I can't edit the exercise type when this occurs, how am I supposed to tell the actual bike rides apart from the hours spent pushing a lawn mower?  PLEASE fix this, @Fitbit!

JayMac3
First Steps

Today, it tracked me as swimming. I was no where near water. I can't even remember exactly what I was doing. I think I was vacuuming. 

TammyKinPA
Base Runner

Today's hour or so of pushing a lawn mower earned me a 42-minute Mountain Bike ride.  🙄

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

So glad I'm not alone - I've just about given up that I'll only be doing "workouts" from now on 😉

Glad I found this thread (referred after I FB messaged Fitbit).

Have now gone in to the activity history to re-categorise workouts.

Thanks all.

PommieSheila
Recovery Runner
We used to be able to edit our activity type in the app e.g. change "Sport" (autodetected) to "Badminton" (manually amended). It would be great to get this feature back. The edit button is there, but we are unable to actually edit the activity type.
maximus080691
First Steps

@Fitbit, is anyone going to reply to this thread?!?!?

Xandih
First Steps
When the new update came out we lost the ability to edit the name of a workout. This needs to be restored for the activity tracking feature to have any value.

example, previously if lifting weights upper body with a trainer you'd start watch with category "workout" then later in app edit "workout" to "trainer-upper body". Can't anymore
Rizzyd
Jogger

New app is awful, why can t all runs show as on main app screen  instead of having to go into previous  day to see...much easier to scroll to compere.....new app is not user friendly and definetly worse instead of better......I will be looking to  hange my fitness tracker from fitbit now.

judetheobscure
Base Runner

It appears not 🙄

Have just caught up with their blog post of 16/10/23. At least they have listened to the feedback in some areas. Sadly no mention of restoring the ability to edit the exercise. Seems pretty fundamental to me. Not sure how much longer to give them before switching to an alternative. Currently using my Sense 2 as little more than a watch and an incoming message alert system.

Xandih
First Steps
Yeah, Whoop is looking better and better...
jhollwey
First Steps

I too am really annoyed about the removal of the battery indicator from the app. Notifications often happen too late and battery gives out whilst I am out. Whereas, when I could always see it in the app, I was able to ensure that I always had plenty of battery

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @ikiwis and commenters, and thanks for taking the time to share this product feedback about being able to re-categorize exercises on the new Fitbit app with us. We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. To learn more about how Fitbit decides what product feedback is developed, visit our FAQs.

Watch this space for status updates. In the meantime, try visiting Health & Wellness to talk with other members about all things health and fitness.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.