Allow us to re-categorize exercises on new Fitbit app

I used to be able to rename my workouts, but the new update no longer allows this on the android app or on the website dashboard. Please fix this.

Moderator edit: Clarified subject
178 Comments
jhollwey
First Steps

I have given up on Fitbit and have moved onto a Withings scan watch - the app is much better. My husband has had one for a number of years - and they don't keep changing their app!

jaywtravel
Jogger

The latest update is an extremely retrograde step - heartbeat detail, inability to change exercise mode and look of the app is now very poor.  Been a Fitbit fan for years but will now be looking g for a different exercise watch.  

BitzBlitz
Recovery Runner

iOS app version “Fitbit 4.04” removed important features in the Exercise view.

I can no longer recategorize exercises.  This is important because my tracker’s auto-categorization isn’t very good.

The tracker often labels activity as “Sport”, which is unhelpful. In previous app versions, I could manually assign activity to more relevant categories.

Restore this feature.  I expect basic functionality like this to continue to be available, on the basis of years of previous experience with the FitBit platform.  I would not have bought a new FitBit tracker if I had known that removal of basic functionality was on the platform’s roadmap.

jaywtravel
Jogger
I agrée - sort it Fitbit or we will be moving to Apple!!
Baileytudor19
First Steps
Yes why would they think it was a good idea to lose this facility !?

Sent from my iPhone
balbip01
Recovery Runner
Who knows.. probably developers who never use the product and think that auto recognise works first time every time…

One wonders if there is any consultation at all with real users

A very silly downgrade if it’s not reverted..

I wish they would just say

‘Yep we made a mistake, sorry about that here’s a plan to put it right’

That would gain my respect and longer term make me stick with the product

At the moment seems unlikely

Sent from my iPhone
Hiker742
Recovery Runner

Recovery Runner

You are spot on. Just had a similar experience with Myfitnesspal. An upgrade messed up several key functions. Their response was quick, apologetic and explained what would happen. Everything was fixed and working properly again within 48 hours.

What a difference in corporate culture. What we are getting now from Fitbit is typical Google. We know what's best, you users complain tooo much, just listen to us. Sound familiar.

I am exploring other alternative for a fitness tracker SYSTEM when I upgrade my Fitbit Sense.

I would encourage others to vote with their feet and pocketbooks. Go/spend where you are welcome, respected and listened to.

CBCAD
Jogger

Agree, app commonly auto recognises my activity as sport and not Beach Volleyball. I'm unable to change in app as in past and also unable to view exercise details i.e. heart rate during activity.  This is core to the fitness tracking reason why I chose Fitbit.  Please bring back previous functionality.

XDahlia
First Steps

I play soccer and it is not a category available in my Fitbit luxe. I dislike the removal of this recategorizing feature. Bring it back please. 

jaywtravel
Jogger
Yes please go back to the visuals as it was before - heart rate, maps etc
too.
KAD4
Recovery Runner
Why have you eliminated the ability to edit a type of exercise?
shgmclicious
Jogger

Because they literally don't give a flying f--- about us once we've bought their hardware, especially if we're not paying for the garbage premium that's made up of a combination of features that were previously free and things we can find all over the internet for free!

I did realize if you come to this website, you can go to your log and edit the exercise there...but beware! You can't change it again once you've adjusted it once, so make sure you don't accidentally hit the wrong one. Also, it will still have the same error it has had for literal YEARS where custom exercises basically default to running/walking and give you mileage even if you were doing something like a barre workout that has no distance element.

shgmclicious
Jogger

Just here to chime in that everything about this app update is garbage, but given that the same bugs have been present for literal YEARS and they've never fixed them despite years' worth of forum posts about them, I didn't expect anything less. I'm basically just waiting for my device to break and then I'll go with Withings or Apple. 

There is one workaround for this workout categorization, and that's going to this very website and going to your log and updating the exercise there in the log...but you can only do it once and then it is immutable, so make sure you don't accidentally click the wrong word in the dropdown list!

CBCAD
Jogger
I have used the work around but didn’t realise there was a limit to
change.
Pinsiad
Recovery Runner

I really wish they would allow to edit workouts again. I had custom workouts set up so I could track my performance in different sports/gym classes not listed.

Overall, I’m so disappointed with the new app version.

I’m cancelling my Premium and the next watch I buy probably won’t be Fitbit. 😞

AllanSyd
Recovery Runner

This change also applies to the iOS app and the worst part is that the support staff are either playing a straight bat, ignoring the issue, or are not aware that you cannot change the exercise type manually at all.  I got onto support and it was suggested to log out of the app, delete it, reload it, and log back in.  Mind you asI accessed Support through the Fitbit app chat function the instructions disappeared as soon as the chat was ended and all I got was the satisfaction survey.  What a bad customer support design from a tech company!

jaywtravel
Jogger
Don’t understand why they are not commenting at all - also high/low details
of exercise have been deleted too. Really retrograde step.
balbip01
Recovery Runner
I’m afraid it’s typical of many an organisation… they will prattle on about how they put the customer first until it comes to the crunch.. then they will hide away as if nothing has happened

No doubt they are on a higher directive on this one but they don’t seem to realise how this erodes the view of their organisation…

I wouldn’t have thought of moving away from the Fitbit platform but the more I see this wall of silence the less confidence I have that this company cares a jot about its customers

Sent from my iPhone
mcw53
Tempo Runner

You can re-categorize your exercises from the current version of the iOS app (v4.06). I posted this in the iOS App forum last week.

I expect (hope) google/fitbit will fix this and that the workaround I posted is only temporarily needed.

iPhone11: iOS 17.2
Charge 4: 48.20001.100.76
Fitbit app: v4.06

CBCAD
Jogger
Hi

Still now working for me.

Latest Fitbit version.
Latest IOS version. (iPhone 12mini)
Later Charge version firmware.
Latest charge (6)
jaywtravel
Jogger
Presume you mean NOT working !!
CBCAD
Jogger
Correct confirm still NOT working.
Thank you.
Dam auto correct.
NickC80
First Steps

I used to use rename most of my sports/exercise types all the time as Fitbit doesn’t recognise lots of different sports and exercise types, now I can’t. Please reinstate this feature! Don’t take away features…keep adding more!

jaywtravel
Jogger
Completely agree!!
misha_aslanian
First Steps
Is there a way to edit the specific exercise under "Edit Exercise Details" in the app? I know there used to be the option to categorize the exercise once you selected the "edit" option, but that doesn't seem to be available anymore. I was able to find a work-around to edit the exercise via the web dashboard. However, not the most convenient option.
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.