Breastfeeding is not a form of birth control

It is a myth that you cannot get pregnant while breastfeeding. A dangerous myth for moms who are not educated about their fertility. Please remove this from the "birth control method" dropdown.

Moderator Edition: Format 

8 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
AlexandraFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Nice suggestion, thanks for sharing @MommaMeg

DDarcey
First Steps

But it really affects hormones and cycles--for some women more than others, and depending on how much milk is produced--so it should be involved somehow in the tracking for menstrual cycles better. 

MommaMeg
First Steps
Yes. It should be an option. But it should not be a choice under "birth
control"
Jessica125
Jogger

I didnt even notice this!!!!! Not good! As someone who breastfed for almost 2 years but had to be put on another form of birth control at just 6 weeks postpartum because I was already ovulating this could be very informative!

Lcampbell89
First Steps

Some women use breastfeeding as part of the rhythm method of birth control.

Cbartz
First Steps

Breastfeeding IS a form of birth control. It can be 98% effective if you follow the criteria of: exclusive breastfeeding, baby is less than 6 months of age, and periods have not returned.

The risk comes in the fact that you don't know when your periods are going to come back. You also have to be EXCLUSIVELY breastfeeding for it to be effective.

Also, Fitbit allows you to select multiple methods, so it doesn't have to be the only method.

You can read more about it here: https://kellymom.com/ages/older-infant/fertility/ This is a reputable resource that multiple nurses have recommended to me.

With any form birth control, it requires some amount of education and discipline to make it effective. Breastfeeding is no different. I do not think that it should be removed from the list.

TwiztidChick
Jogger

Yes. I got pregnant twice while solely breastfeeding. Fix this immediately 

Status changed to: Not currently planned
LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi everyone, thanks for sharing this suggestion. We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and we appreciate all of the input we receive from our customers. We do not currently have plans to release this feature. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs. For now, we will leave this suggestion open for votes (and closed to comments) so that we can continue to track community demand over time. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we will let you know if anything changes.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.