CDC recognizes any am't of physical activity has health benefits - pls count all active min.

See: https://health.gov/paguidelines/second-edition/10things/

The CDC says, "We now know that any amount of physical activity has some health benefits. Americans can benefit from small amounts of moderate-to-vigorous physical activity throughout the day. The first edition of the Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans stated that only 10-minute bouts of physical activity counted toward meeting the guidelines. The second edition removes this requirement to encourage Americans to move more frequently throughout the day as they work toward meeting the guidelines."

In 2015 you changed your policy from counting all active minutes to only those in groups of at least 10 min. each - you said as per the CDC guidelines. I contacted you then and provided all kinds of evidence that this was not a correct policy to follow.  See: https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Return-to-counting-activity-min-bouts-of-less-th...

Now that the CDC recognizes that all physical activity has health benefits, will you please switch back to counting all active minutes instead of only those in groups of at least 10 min.

Thank you.

8 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
MarcelBK
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Nice suggestion, thanks for sharing. We look forward to hearing what other community members think.

janel
Hill Runner

@MarcelBK  Every little bit counts. Fitbit's only justification for the 10-minute requirement was that the CDC said so. The CDC now says that was a mistake, and they have withdrawn that guideline. What possible justification does Fitbit have for not doing the same?

On the Fitbit Hlep page, it says, "To stay in line with the Center for Disease Control's (CDC’s) “10 minutes at a time is fine” concept, minutes are only awarded after 10 minutes of continuous moderate-to-intense activity. You can view the CDC’s recommendations on the CDC website."

But guess what! The CDC website to which you link says the new guidelines include: "Removal of bout length requirement – every little bit counts!" Fitbit needs to make the same change.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

@MarcelBK wrote:

Nice suggestion, thanks for sharing. We look forward to hearing what other community members think.

@MarcelBK, you look at length of the previous thread on this, and the obvious passion in many of the posts, and you don't already know? This attitude is why so many of us have a love/hate relationship with @Fitbit.

Yepthereitis
First Steps

Totally agree with

Would you like to reduce the incidence of heart disease, strokes & some cancers by over 20%?

There's been a cross reference showing very significant health improvements at 3-4000 MET minutes a week.

Check for reference: https://www.bmj.com/content/354/bmj.i3857

Please give us a more accurate total of our MET minutes.

LZeeW
Ultramarathon Racer

In my experience, Fitbit has always tried to keep its tracking and recommendations consistent with the CDC and other worldwide health organizations.  Time for Fitbit to step up to the plate and fix this.

jshetler
First Steps

The new 2nd edition physical activity guidelines that were published in November of 2018 removed the required 10 minute blocks of physical activity needed to count towards your active minutes each day. 

The old message was you needed at least 10-minute bouts of aerobic activity for it to count toward the goal of 150 minutes a week. But, no longer. The new guidelines conclude that all movement that helps you stay physically active is important.

Changing the way fitbit devices monitor active minutes is something that I strongly believe needs changed to match what the new guidelines recommend. One of the big reasons the new guidelines were produced is because about 80% of the US population didn't meet the old guidelines. Fitbit could play a major role in helping folks become more active once more of the population is aware of the new guidelines and the benefits any amount of physical activity has on overall health.

Fitbit, I urge you to please consider changing how your devices awards active minutes to better match the new guidelines.

KathM78
First Steps

@edwards1411 wrote:

See: https://health.gov/paguidelines/second-edition/10things/

The CDC says, "We now know that any amount of physical activity has some health benefits. Americans can benefit from small amounts of moderate-to-vigorous physical activity throughout the day. The first edition of the Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans stated that only 10-minute bouts of physical activity counted toward meeting the guidelines. The second edition removes this requirement to encourage Americans to move more frequently throughout the day as they work toward meeting the guidelines."

In 2015 you changed your policy from counting all active minutes to only those in groups of at least 10 min. each - you said as per the CDC guidelines. I contacted you then and provided all kinds of evidence that this was not a correct policy to follow.  See: https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Return-to-counting-activity-min-bouts-of-less-th...

Now that the CDC recognizes that all physical activity has health benefits, will you please switch back to counting all active minutes instead of only those in groups of at least 10 min.

Thank you.

I completely agree with Edwards1411. As someone who is not yet at CDC recommended levels of activity bit working towards it, it is demoralising to have done some moderate intensity activity but not have it counted because it was not 10 minutes. CDC says every minute counts, so it would be great if every minute was recognized and celebrated by Fitbit. Thank you 😊.
okatiegirl
Jogger

I agree with the fitbit users that want fitbit to update to the newest CDC guidelines that say ANY amount of activity, any length of time is now the standard. The 10 minute fitbit requirement is outdated and must be updated to stay current and relevant. When is this going to occur? Please post on your site: what date is fitbit going to update the MET calculations for active minutes to comply with the CDC 2nd Edition,Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans?

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.