Can Fitbit Help Keep Me From Touching My Face?

The COVID-19 epidemic/pandemic has the CDC asking people to, among other actions, stop touching their faces.

I would love it if my Fitbit would buzz to remind me about this each time I reach upward to touch my face. It seems like this simple movement could be programmed in as an update, ideally a feature we can turn on or off.

What do others think?

10 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @IDZENDER, and thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about having an option with Fitbit that helps you to avoid touching your face. We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. If this suggestion receives votes from other customers and gains popularity, it will be shared internally with various teams at Fitbit. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Watch this space for status updates. In the meantime, try visiting Health & Wellness to talk with other members about all things health and fitness.

VikiGooch
Stepping Up

Even before the coronavirus outbreak, I was thinking about purchasing a band that would buzz if I would raise my hand to my face.  Please develop this feature!!! 

chiQ
Base Runner

Given the current situation, with a global pandemic disrupting life, I think a really superb addition to FitBit's functionality would be a face-touching alert. We all touch our faces constantly, and often it is entirely unconsciously done, and one factor that can increase it is stress or worry. If our trackers were to vibrate a certain pattern when they detected that motion it could go some way to breaking the habits that further contagion.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @chiQ, this is a good idea. Thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon.

BarrySinAZ
Jogger

Yes, please!  You could double your sales, as everyone would need two Fitbits!

If I wore two Fitbits, I wonder how the app would react...?  Would I get twice as many steps?  🙂

Thanks,

Barry

Solutioneerguy
First Steps

one of the primary ways for people to get infected is by putting their hands to their faces. my suggestion is that fitbit write a chunk of code that will cause the device to vibrate whenever it is rasised toward the face. it should be a free download to all current owners. alternatively create a wrist band which does this so both hands can be protected. ship this to all owners and include without additional cost to new buyers until threat is over.

I just sent this in to fitbit a few minutes ago not realizing how this community really works, sorry to someone about that part but above it how it occurs to me - so i'm on this with you IDZENDER! I would think this would be a firealarm to the top issue but maybe not?

Andyabq
First Steps

I've tried tying my wrists to my belt loops to make me more aware of reaching for my face. Just had the thought that smart watches have the right tech built in. One of those hard alarm vibrations whenever you reach for your face would also help train people over time. The idea needs more votes for Fitbit to take notice, even though a pandemic seems like a good moral motivator. Here's another practical one; It will sell Fitbits--even if you already own one, I'd want another for the other hand. 

FadiM
First Steps

If the watch can detect position when you try to look to it. It can vibrates when we try to touch your face as the movement is unique and we will move it to the dominant hand to decrease the risk of COVID-19 spreading .
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @FadiM, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to set your Fitbit to vibrate when we try to touch your face. Thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon.

Status changed to: Third-Party App
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @IDZENDER and commenters, thanks for sharing this suggestion. We’re excited to let you know that this Feature Suggestion has been developed by a third party developer, and can be downloaded from the Fitbit App Gallery available on select Fitbit Smartwatches. You’ll find the Fitbit App Gallery by selecting your connected Smartwatch in the mobile app, choosing the ‘Apps’ tile and toggling to ‘All Apps’ at the top of the screen. You can then search for either FaceDefender or Face Touch Guard, and choose your favorite. Happy exploring!

Please note that if you have feedback for the third party app, you can contact the developer directly by opening their app in the Fitbit App Gallery, finding their contact details (if they have shared them publicly) under ‘app details’ or ‘clock face details’. Thanks.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.