Can we get a "Calorie Deficit" Tracking Option instead of "Calories Left"?

I had posted this elsewhere, but a moderator suggested that I post here as well.

I don't love the "Calories Left" tile and would rather have a BIG CURRENT CALORIE DEFICIT reading as part of the main dashboard, instead.  Why? The way that the "Calories Left" number is calculated can result in negative or low "Calories Left" numbers as the day goes by, depending on when you are active.  This is not a positive motivator for postive behaviour change, and isn't that supposed to be the point of quantifying your life?  If I know that I want a target 750 calorie deficit for a day, all I need to know is how I am tracking on actual calories in vs calories out in real time.  I don't want the additional projection on how many calories I should (or should not) eat, and in fact, the way that the "Calories Left" number presents itself provides an inaccurate and demotivational view and could lead someone to make the "wrong" decisions.

Example:    For anyone trying to lose weight in a healthy manner, eating small regular healthy meals over the course of the day is very important.  For my app to tell me that, because I ate my healthy breakfast and a mid-morning snack, I have low or even negative calories left for the day to eat; that is discouraging when lunchtime comes.  Even if in the back of my head I know that this number will continue bump up as the day progresses, and I am planning trip to the gym in the evening, at that moment in time, seeing that  negative or low "Calories Left" number makes me feel like I've done something wrong, when all I have been doing is living my life and eating small meals.   If I was only making decisions based on my app, then I might be hesitant to eat my 250 lunch, which is actually pretty small.  In this instance, the number on my app is not motivating the "right" action.

The problem is, the Fitbit doesn't know what I plan to do, like  work out at 7pm and burn an extra 400 calories.  Since I do most of my working out in the evenings, I'll always look "bad" for the better part of a day.  To go all day with the fitbit telling me that i am "over" because it doesn't know my plans an is calcuating what it "thinks" I should eat based on what it "thinks" I will burn (which is probably inaccurate) is demotivating.  I would much rather have the CURRENT DEFICIT showing in an obvious location.  So for example, if my calorie deficit goal is 750 per day, it is 4pm and I have only a 200 calorie deficit, I know that is is okay to still eat my dinner because I am going to the gym at 8pm where I'll burn an extra 400 calories.  I've had times where my fitbit is essentially telling me that I've eaten way too much and can't have dinner because it doesn't know I plan to go to the gym.  

In the end, it nets out at midnight, but the fact is the meter and the calories left reading can be demotivating, which is why I would rather have my deficit front and centre on the dashboard to help make informed eating choices.

Other contributors and moderators have pointed to ways to "dig" and find the tile or calculate the deficit, but it would be so much more valuable to have and option, particularly for those of us interested in losing weight to view a BIG, AT A GLANCE "Calorie Deficit" reading instead of "Calories Left".  It is the difference between positive motivation and negative motivation.  You have all the data available - would it be hard to offer this as an option?  Anyone agree with me???

27 Comments
DataEnthusiast
First Steps

AGREED!!!

NellyG
Cosmic Hurdler

Absolutely! I really really dislike the very red graph telling me I have been bad when I havent at all. I plan my daily exercise and my eating follows MY pattern taking that into account, but I dont necessarily keep my calories below my exercise level at that time of the day.

Well written and thought out suggestion! Please fitbit, take it on board.

JuliaChild
Jogger

I find I'm still using myfitnesspal because it just makes more sense.  It should be set up the same, ie, you're allowed 1200 calories per day to lose a pound a week, and once you've exercised, the calories burned get added (say 400 calories) so now you can consume 1600 calories, then tell us at the end of the day if we are over or under.  I still don't know how many calories a day without exercise I'm allowed.  It's just not very clear and far more complicated than necessary.  I'd also like to mention that the daily calorie compostion has no suggested totals.  Myfitnesspal, tells you what you were short in and what you had too much of.  This helps me get my protein up and keep my sodium down. 

trimdowncathy
Recovery Runner

I agree to show calorie deficit.  The way it's set up, it told me two or three times that I still had calories to eat and then when I did, the calorie deficit showed I went over what I was supposed to eat.  Something's got to change.

JimLowey
Jogger

It makes no sense to me... as of right now today (3pm) I have eaten 826 cals and it is saying to eat 2300 more. How am I to have a deficit of 1000 cals a day if I'm eating all these calories. My bmr is 2300...  Makes no sense as I have only burned approx 600 cals walking my 10,000 steps...

Thank goodness myfitnesspal is keeping track of how much to eat etc....

I have yet to hit the 'In Zone' of calorie budget in 3 weeks of using the fitbit... Everyday I calculate how many calories I can have on Myfitnesspal and it shows as 'under' budget on Fitbit.

Alixinchains
First Steps

I'm glad I'm not the only one frustrated by this! Thanks for bringing it up!

KarlaKay
Recovery Runner

This would certainly be a benefit to me (who has misunderstood completely during my entire weight loss journey)! Simplicity and convenience are key!

DeVoL76
Stepping Up

I use MyFitnessPal app as well because this is one feature I hate with the Fitbit. It's great for anyone trying to maintain their weight but let's be realistic most people who have Fitbits are trying to lose weight or tone their body. 

KarlaKay
Recovery Runner
Thank you for that suggestion. I will check it out. With Fitbit, I find myself still being under budget. I have slowed the weightloss down considerably now that I understand how the calories in vs calories out deficit thing works. But I am always up for something that works better! 😆

Sent from my Galaxy Tab® S2
Scott.Sowards
Jogger

It doesn't anger or aggravate me like some others have expressed, but I think that it would be a great addition to a device focused on tracking fitness.  I'm not as interested in using it for diet and weight-loss as it seems most are, I just like numbers and statistics It would be an amazing weight-loss aide.  After calculating your own BMR (the math is simple), the on-screen deficit would make calculating calories remaining for you to eat, or expend in order to stay on track in your diet would be a snap!  That math can be done in your head!

usagisisa
Base Runner

I get that some people like being told "Calories Left" and work against a budget, but days that I workout are so vastly different from days that I don't.  I'm talking burning 1600 calories when I am trapped behind my desk versus burning 3500 calories when I make it to the gym, clean my house and chase my 3 kids around the park.  For anyone that has such a wide variance in activity level, you want to be able to flex your daily behaviours (eating vs moving) without being "told" you are "bad" by your wearable device!  🙂

It is just so frustrating that viewing the "Calorie Deficit" or "Net Calories" this is not currently a dashboard option.  

• Fitbit prompts you to set a calorie deficit goal based on your weight goals.  
  • Fitbit measures your calories burned
  • Fitbit tracks your calories eaten 
  • Just take that one extra step and subtract "burned" from "eaten" so I can tell if I am reaching my deficit goal, THAT YOU, FITBIT, ASKED ME TO SET!  That is literally the only math I want fitbit to do for me in real time.  Is that too much to ask?  You literally have all that information - I am just asking you to show it.

It would make things so much simpler.  No messing around with calorie budgets, feeling bad, having your fitbit numbers prompt actions that are actually contrary to achieving your goals etc.  It is as simple as this:

• An aggressive goal, like losing 2lbs per week means you need to generate a calorie deficit of 1000 calories per day.  That is a very easy number to wrap your mind around and target on a daily basis.  
  • I just want to know how close I am to working towards that 1000 calorie deficit, in real time, as the day progresses.  

Please fitbit developers!  It would be so easy for you to do.  There are no crazy predictive algorithms needed.  Just subtract one number from the other and let me select it as a tile that updates as the day goes on.  🙂  

mcatreeves
First Steps

YES YES YES. I am new to using a FitBit and I honestly thought the inclusion of a real-time deficit calculation was the entire point of the app and tracking my food- THAT IS WHY I BOUGHT A FITBIT. It makes no sense that it is not an option to see on the dashboard in the app. The variations throughout the day of what the algorithm thinks I have 'left' to eat are so discouraging and confusing and there have been days that it has thrown off what was otherwise a successful day of tracking. I am more than capable of doing simple math, but the numbers never add up and the differences vary so much throughout the day that it makes it hard to trust it and plan ahead. I completely understand that the cals burned reflects your BMR throughout the day and I really like that feature, it just needs to be integrated much more simply by just being the initial number for calculating the deficit.

For Example: I have a 500 cal deficit as my goal and right now my cals burned are 1324 and cals in are 867. FitBit then tells me I have 377 cals left...WHAT?! It doesn't even add up! My actual deficit right now is 457 (1324 cals burned - 867 cals in). I will be going to the gym this evening and cooking a big healthy dinner, but when I see that I have 377 cals left my immediate reaction is that I have to be restrictive rather than being encouraged by the fact that I am right on track. 

Come on FitBit developers, this is an easy one!

usagisisa
Base Runner
Exactly. I wish the Fitbit developers would realize this. The way they display data can be demotivational and discourage the "right"behaviours which defeats the purpose of having the device in the first place. I am considering preordering a Healbe Gobe2. Supposedly it not only tracks calories burned; it can magically calculate calories eaten - I know, seems like voodoo!! I'm not sure if their science is sound, but the one thing it is promising to do is show the deficit (or surplus) prominently on the main display. There is one beta tester who tracked eating for a month via My Fitness Pal while wearing the GoBe2 and they were really close. (I know - sample size of 1, and I am skeptical, but still curious). And if Fitbit won't acknowledge this seemingly logical display request, I have to consider other options.

Sent from my iPhone
SanSchle
First Steps

100% agree! 

I really hope that this suggestion is eventually heard by fitbit developers. Programming a tile like this is a MINOR adjustment to the program, I don't understand how it takes Fitbit so long to take their customers' suggestions into consideration 😞 

usagisisa
Base Runner
Yeah, they haven't been listening unfortunately. I am going to try a new
wearable that actually features the calorie balance/calorie deficit as
their primary display. Supposedly they are able to track calories in, as
well as calories burned, and show you the balance in real time throughout
the day. No food logging! Magic! LOL! The science behind their tech is
still a little questionable in my mind...but 'm going to give it a try.
That said, if they can do what they say they do, it would be amazing!
Their first device had horrible reviews, but they just recently release
v2. Healbe Gobe2.
JustJustMe
First Steps

I just started using the charge HR.   I'm  looking to lose some weight, and like everyone else who agreed with this post, I'm completely confused by the two different representations - calories left vs calories left in budget.  It's confusing to see the same wording but two different numbers, depending where you're looking.  I agree 100%...all I want to see is a tile that shows my current deficit...total out minus total in.  Please don't try to work into that number how much I'm expected to have eaten or earned by that time of day.  Just stick to the facts...show me my actual current deficit and I'll be thrilled.  As it is, I don't know which numbers to even subtract to figure my deficit on my own.  

lcandsp
Recovery Runner

Yes! Yes! Yes!

When the FitBit developers realize how many of us use our devices simply for trying to maintain the deficit you speak so clearly about, maybe they'll see how much $$$ is to be made by adding the CALORIC DEFICIT feature we need. I'm 61 and have used three FitBit models over the past seven years, but so far the primary feature I have needed all this time still has not been incorporated. Maybe it means they have concerns about the accuracy of their caloric output algorithm and want to keep that deficit calculation from being too accessible?

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LanuzaFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Nice suggestion, thanks for sharing. We look forward to hearing what other community members think.

SeverdSoldier
Recovery Runner

Shows Calorie Deficiency Instead of Calories Burnt as a main goal.  Indicate when you are above, below, or in the zone with color indicators.Also being able to see these statistic in a line graph would be nice as well. 

usagisisa
Base Runner

@LanuzaFitbit does any of this actually go anywhere?  This seems like a simple thing that many users interested in weight loss would want, and quite frankly, from a motivational standpoint, just makes more sense.  At least provide the option for those of us who would rather work towards a goal rather than be constantly chastised for just living our lives.  😞

This is a great suggestion... don't know why such a simple change has yet to be prioritised.

@Fitbit - please take another look at this.

usagisisa
Base Runner
I check on this thread every now and then, and I’m really at a loss as to why no one hears this need. 😰

Sent from my iPhone
pflugs30
First Steps
The Home Screen should show the total calories left adjusted for my activity level + / - my food plan (i.e. lose weight "kinda hard" = -750 calories). It currently shows only the calories left adjusted for my activity level.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @pflugs30, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to see "Calorie Deficit" Tracking Option instead of "Calories Left. I've moved it into a similar request. I think that a lot of users would like to have this option on their Fitbit devices.You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs.

Thank you again for your participation in the Feature Suggestions Forums.

antodi
Recovery Runner
Have the icon getting filled as we eat rather than the opposite. Do this both for the icon on the dashboard (plate with fork and knife).
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.