Capability Detecting Depression

I was wondering if Fitbit can detect the possibility of depression based on the activity level of the user and his/her sleep patterns. Having enough data from depressed and non-depressed individuals, it may be possible to train a deep neural network model that can detect the anomaly in such patterns and try to guess the possibility of depression or fatigue in people. 

This can be a very attractive feature to the people who suffer from depression and also their family members. Because some forms of depression come in episodes and there is a chance that the depressed person will harm himself/herself during that period without knowing that those feelings are due to being depressed and not the reality of life.

This feature can also be a good marketing point and will attract a lot of attention because it will show that Fitbit cares about its users' well-being both physically and mentally. 

Thank you for considering and supporting the suggestions. 

Sincerely,
Mo

Moderator edit: Clarified subject

6 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LanuzaFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hello @haghighat

Thank you for sharing your idea and posting an in-depth explanation. It sounds like something that could be used in a variety of contexts.

Let's see what other users have to say about it.

haghighat
Stepping Up

@LanuzaFitbit:
Thank you very much for your kind considerations. Considering the importance of mental and psychological health, I hope the other users will also support this feature.

Mosab
First Steps

It's a great Idea and I thoroughly agree with you @haghighat.

psho
Premium User
First Steps

I'd also recommend coupling this feature with (or reusing some data from) female health tracking because I've definitely noticed a pattern!

Having that said, what do you think Fitbit can do once it detects an episode? I can see that tracking steps leads to a user realizing that he/she should simply walk more. But when one is depressed and gets an alert about it, what would he/she do?

Joepaddle
Jogger

Your trying to replace a person with technology.How many people have harmed themselves in a state of depression day to day in the United States?My mental health is to important to leave to a fitness tracker that has a margin of error.When I look down and see my heart monitor stopped...I don’t have a heart attack.The best app to detect your depression is the app in your head.Listen to it.

askmrhp
Runner

Mental health professionals use Bluetooth devices that detect pulse,Spo2 and Blood pressure.

online to help treat people with depression,anxiety,etc. Insurance companies are backing such programs.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.