Carb Tracker

The calorie tracker is great and I have used it quite a bit. A great option would be to switch to a carb counter. Having it use your current database of foods you would just need to add the carb count and it could track both. That would be awesome. I am sure quite a few of the folks in the fitbit community would use this option. 

Thank you for listening

Moderator edit: Labels

28 Comments
Searcy
First Steps

Please develope a feature to track carbs.  This would be very helpful to those of us who have diabetes.

LowlyBunni
Jogger

So much yes to this idea. I don't have diabetes, but I did have gestational diabetes and it would have been SO wonderful to have something to easily keep track. Whether a person has diabetes or not, carbs are a VERY important thing to pay attention to. Your idea is awesome. 

chief7
First Steps

I'm new to this, but when I use my Food Log, it has a section for Calories, Fiber, Sodium etc and Carbs are included.  So as long as you are logging your food daily, it will show the carbs you have consumed.

Shannon730
Recovery Runner

On the same tract I'm Diabetic and the diet plan I follow through s diabetes study requires me to track fat grams. It would be great if I could see those when I logged in food without having to go through extra steps to see each individually, each time. And they be accurate, which they currently aren't. I don't know if the same is true for carbs. 

Amzngmoe
First Steps

Wonderful idea.  I was just going to make the same suggestion when I came across this.

CPIII
First Steps

Same here; I'm also diabetic, but even if I weren't I would like to prioritize seeing CARBs as opposed to CALORIES since the calories in - calories out relationship is so flawed as a measure of healthy food consumption. Please make the change to allow this feature option!

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I think being able to simultaneously see calorie and carb counter would be great.  I really do not want to have to choose between one or the other to view when using the app or online dashboard.  

mkrysti
First Steps

I count carbs also & not calories.  We should be able to have the option.  Also would love it to be waterproof.  

Thanks

lov2garden
Recovery Runner

Fitbit has limited value for those whose lifestyle is based on carbs and not the inaccurate calories in/out theory which has been proven to be useless for weight management.  

When will we be able to choose carb tracking rather than calorie tracking?

It is annoying to receive reports that ignore the importance of carbs, presume that all fat is bad and make recommendations for calorie reduction.

Most of us would greatly benefit from a reduction in refined carbs and "manufactured food like substances".  It would be great if there could be distinctions made between refined and complex carbs too.

I love my Fitbit but it needs to evolve to reflect current nutritional and metabolic science.

100 calories of brownies is not the same as 100 calories of avocado once it enters your body.

Shannon730
Recovery Runner
For me, I really need an ACCURATE fat and calorie counter. I teach diabetes prevention program/study for the CDC and we have to track fat and colonies (no limit on calories, just fat). For the record it does work, I lost 97 pounds in the class. But it’s annoying that I have to have a separate app for looking up and tracking those things.

Shannon
~~~~~~~~~~
-I like nonsense; it wakes up the brain cells.
-I meant what I said and I said what I meant.
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Great idea! I encourage you to keep adding your suggestion on the board, so that we can streamline responses and discussion. Having this option on your Fitbit account sounds really interesting, so watch this space for updates. We look forward to hearing what other community members think.

Searcy
First Steps
There are thousands of newly diagnosed diabetics each year who will learn
to better control their blood sugar levels by counting carbs in their
diets. Looks like a great marketing strategy would be to have carbs
consumed count show up on one of the pages on the app. I think you are
missing out on a lot of good sales of Fitbits to a consumer base who will
be searching for ways to help them live healthier and longer. Just a
thought.

I am searching other devices that have this feature and if I find one that
does I will certainly purchase it.

Gary Yeilding
PATruesdell
First Steps

Totally agree.  Carb tracking would be great for low carb diets and for those who use carbs to determine insulin doses.

Profitweb
First Steps

I too count carbs, not calories. 

A million diets do this (South Beach, Atkins, Paleo, etc.).  To make the Fitbit app truly useful to so many people, it needs to be able to count Net Carbs (Total Carbs minus Fiber) in grams.  This data is already in Fitbit's nutritional information.  Please aggregate and allow us to set a daily carb goal in grams so we don't have to use another app to do this.  Thanks!

Thaleia6
Jogger

I also would love to see net carbs (total carbs minus fiber) on the app dashboard. Maybe it’s just another thing to add so people who want calories too can have both. Other reasons: Counting calories as the sole metric for health is being highly questioned. Low carb diets are being used more often for medical diets (diabetes, epilepsy). Also with the release of the book The Big Fat Surprise (great read!) more visibility is being given to low carb as a healthy diet. Fitbit could be featured as the device and carb tracker for people newly switching to this diet! 

lov2garden
Recovery Runner

Well said Thaleia! 

OK people: I just got off a tech support chat and raised this issue and asked for it to be sent to the engineering department.  Then I completed the support chat feedback and listed it as an unresolved issue.  I pointed out that the data is already being collected; it is not a huge programming issue to enable users to select the Basis for their Food Plan: Calories or Carbohydrates. 

If you have the time, please email tech support to escalate this issue to the engineering department.  Thanks! 

Thaleia6
Jogger

Thank you lov2garden! I'll email tech support as well. 

lov2garden
Recovery Runner

Thanks Thaleia!  I just signed up for Cronometer because they have ketogenic settings.  Then I found if I want to display carbs prominently instead of calories, I will have to pay $5.99 a month.  I actually really like fitbit and if I have to pay more to have what I need, I would.  

How do the rest of you carb watchers feel?  There really doesn't seem to be a good carb app out there.

JDMurphy89
First Steps

Hi, 

I’d say that I am a very active person and been wearing a Fitbit for a number of years. I’ve recently been diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. This has meant that Carb Counting has become a way of life for me now. 

I personally think that the ability to carb count using the app would be great. I know that the % of carbs against the daily intake is there along with seeing separately what’s in food so the majority of the data is already there. I’ve tried a number of the diabetes carb counting apps and non of them come anywhere near the usability or the depth of the food library in the Fitbit app.

Even if it was just an option to switch or see on a dashboard both the carbs and Cals it would be exceptional. 

All the best, 

Josh 

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @JDMurphy89! Great suggestion. I've moved it into a similar request. Hopefully we will have support from other users since more votes and comments an idea has the more visibility and momentum it gains.

Seagael
First Steps

I am on the keto diet and I track net carbs, not calories.  Please add a net carb counter!  I am new to Fitbit Charge 2, I like it a lot except for the lack of this feature.

Status changed to: Under Consideration
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @lloswald and thanks for sharing this suggestion, which has received votes from other community members. I’m happy to let you know that this suggestion has been picked up internally at Fitbit and is being considered by our team. This suggestion will either remain ‘Under Consideration’ until released, or else move to ‘Not Currently Planned’ if it’s not viable right now. Further updates will be posted here.

Please remember that if a suggestion is chosen for development, it can take some time before updates are available or a release is finalized, so thanks in advance for your patience. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs. Fans can continue to vote for this feature suggestion while it is under consideration.

NecieB
First Steps

Per doctor orders, I need to track my carbs intake, not calories.

Looks like the suggestion to track carbs dates back to 2017, and under consideration in 2020.

It's now March 2021. We need the ability to track net carbs (in addition to calories).

Please implement this AWESOME suggestion! 

Marylandcrabnsu
First Steps
I suggest do not eliminate the Calorie tracker portion(I need that too) instead add another tracking portion of the FITBIT program that our phone app/web is capable of doing. Like have the tracker be able to highlight how many carbs a day you are allowed, if you are under/over & total like the calories.
DavideFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Marylandcrabnsu! Great suggestion. I've moved it into a similar request that had already been posted in the forums, this helps to keep the Community more organized and prevents the votes from users to be split between similar suggestions. 

Thank you again for your participation in the Community. 

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.