Challenges on web Dashboard

Why can't I see my Challenges on my desktop dashboard?  That data is only available on the apps.

Moderator Edit: Changed title for clarification and added labels

535 Comments
Tabb1
Jogger
Every fit bit user should have the opportunity to use all elements. Available with this product. I have just changed phone so am now able to see what I have been missing for two years.

Sent from my Windows 10 phone
Rich_Laue
Community Legend

@Redwing59, what i wanted to point out tgat an official stateme t was made, unless there was a drastic rethinking, it is highly unlikely that we will get any more detail. Personally i don't see what the reasoning is.

You may call it the politics of business. 

divinelyloved
First Steps

I can't believe in 2017 this still has not been added. I use a BlackBerry and although the app technically works on my phone, it crashes all the time. It takes about 10 minutes to accept a request. It would be much less frustrating to pop onto the website and I'd be overall more happy with the product.

divinelyloved
First Steps

I can't believe in 2017 this still has not been added. I use a BlackBerry and although the app technically works on my phone, it crashes all the time. It takes about 10 minutes to accept a request. It would be much less frustrating to pop onto the website and I'd be overall more happy with the product.

pooh80133
Jogger

Please add this feature to the desktop dashboard!  I am giving my mom my old Fitbit, but she only has Windows 7 and does not have a smartphone or tablet, so she won't be able to participate in challenges with me and my sister.  It would be so much fun to do them together.  It doesn't make sense that you haven't added this feature yet-it should be a relatively simple update.

catdav
Keeping Pace
Good luck. People have been asking for this since 2014. They do not seem to be interested and until people begin to purchase other products who are responsive to the needs and wants of their customers, I think we are out of luck.

Sent from Outlook
PureEvil
10K Racer

@catdav,

With the possible exception of Macs, any device that syncs that has been released in the last eight years should be able to participate in challenges.  Windows 7 was released on 2009 and it was offered a free upgrade to Windows 10.  While you still need the appropriate Bluetooth hardware to sync on Windows 10, the Fitbit App will allow you to participate in challenges (yes, on a conventional computer).  I do it all the time.

Or allow me to frame it differently, if there were a number of folks asking for a feature to be added to the iPhone 3GS (released on 2009) which is no longer available and is four generations behind, do you think Fitbit should invest the development resources to do it?  Well, Windows 7 was also released on 2009 and it's several versions behind.

So as time goes on, this will become less and less of an issue, since more folks will be either upgrading or replacing their computers with Windows 10 computers, which has the Fitbit App and participates in challenges just fine.  Though underpowered, you can get a Windows 10 laptop for less than the price of a Surge ($250).

As for switching products...  Fair, but do other products even have the concept of challenges?  I know I've tried a couple of other trackers and they either don't offer challenges, or they do it poorly.  And that's not even accounting for trying to get your friends to move platforms.  Don't get me wrong, feel free to move, but moving to a device that doesn't support challenges (at all or well) seems like cutting your nose off to spite your face.

catdav
Keeping Pace
Thank you for your input......and yes, I am a Mac owner. I have a relatively new lap top, a middle aged desk top, and an ancient IPad. I can do the challenges on the ancient IPad and not on the other two which is what has confounded me.

Sent from Outlook
PureEvil
10K Racer

@catdav,

Sorry, but I'm going to geek out on the explanation...  On Windows, phone apps are very similar to tablet apps.  The reason why you can run the apps on Windows 10 laptop and desktops is because Windows 10 allows you to run the tablet app.  They don't make a distinction.

Fair, but if I may make an observation about your situation...  I'm pretty sure that if you're developing iPad/iPhone apps you can run them under emulation on the Mac, so it begs the question...  Why doesn't Apple simply allow iPad/iPhone apps to run on the Mac, the way Windows 10 allows you to run the tablet app on the laptop/desktop?  Wouldn't that address the issue?

CherylWB
Recovery Runner

I enjoy the challenges as they appear on my I-phone, but would also like to view them on my computer and/or I-pad.  Typing comments, etc. is so much easier than on the phone.

CherylWB
Recovery Runner

I enjoy the challenges and adventures as they appear on my I-phone, but would also like to view them on my computer and/or I-pad.   Maybe Fitbit could add a new tile to the dashboard.  Typing comments, etc. is so much easier on the computer than on the phone; it is also nicer to see the adventure pictures on the bigger screen.

sueb1997
Runner
Question -- I'm one of those with no smartphone, a Mac, not interested in adding any Windows simulator etc.  So far I've been unable to access Fitbit challenges because of this. I'm completely ignorant about "apps" as I've never had a smartphone or mobile device of any kind, so I'm often confused by explanations that refer to apps or to Android vs IOS because I don't even know what those are, other than Android = Windows and IOS = Apple. I'm now considering getting an iPad in addition to my Macbook -- would the iPad be able to access Fitbit challenges, and if so, is that access limited to only certain models/specs of iPad?  That would be helpful to know before I decide which iPad to buy.
catdav
Keeping Pace
OMG, thank you! You sound just like me. I can only tell you that I have a first generation IPad. It is at least five years old. That is the only way I can access the challenges. I know that there are new models out there. Your best bet would be to go into a computer store with your fit bit and ask them what models you can access the challenge section on. They should even be able to do a test drive if you have your user name and password with you. You do not have to buy it there, you are just looking. I have found the staff at our local computer store most helpful to me with my ignorance in the area of technology. Good luck!

Sent from Outlook
sueb1997
Runner
Thanks, I think that is the right way to do it!
edunne
Jogger
All iPads can run the FitBit app and therefor access Challenges!
sueb1997
Runner
@edunne, thank you!  I hate that fitbit won't add the programming to permit challenges on the mac itself, but if I do end up with an iPad at least that will be one extra benefit of it for me.  Thanks!
catdav
Keeping Pace
That is good news! In order to access my data on my laptop, I had to purchase a dongle. That is no problem. However, I do not think the dongle works on any of the IPads....so unless I really want to move into the world of technology, I am going to have to give up my flip phone and purchase an IPhone.....correct?

Sent from Outlook
sueb1997
Runner
Hmm, I think that if you still can use your laptop with the dongle, you can keep syncing the fitbit that way?  I hadn't thought about that a dongle might not work on an iPad -- I have no idea what ports/programs an iPad does or doesn't have, but in my case the iPad is not going to replace my Mac, just be a second device I have for other needs.  So I'll keep syncing the fitbit on the Mac using the dongle, but will have to look at my account on the iPad whenever I want to sign up for/check on challenges.  It's a hassle that they can't all be on one device.  In fact most of my fitbit friends use Macs too, so I'm not even sure I'll have anyone to do challenges WITH.  Just the few that also have smartphones, I suppose. I do suspect that if you did get an iphone, that would solve all these issues for you.  I just hate to see anyone buy more/extra stuff than they need just for this, when fitbit could decide to offer all their programs to all their customers...  Or at least to make it clear prior to purchase which programs work with which devices... Also -- did you have to purchase the dongle separately?  Mine came with my fitbit.  I would have had no idea I needed it -- had never even heard the word dongle before getting the fitbit...
PureEvil
10K Racer

@sueb1997,

"Access to challenges" and "ability to sync" are two separate issues.  Older iPads (ones that don't have Bluetooth LE) can't sync with the Fitbit, but can access challenges just fine.  Oh, and newer trackers don't come with dongles since all new devices (smartphones and PC's with recent OS) will sync without the need of a dongle.

@catdav,

You don't necessarily need to get an iPhone.  If you have an iPod Touch, it'll work.  You don't need to invest much money to get a device that'll do challenges.  In fact, you can get an Unlocked Android phone for about $60 from Amazon that will run the challenges just fine.  You don't need to use it as a phone, just use it on Wi-Fi.

catdav
Keeping Pace
I had to purchase mine separately. I have had the fitbit for a little over two years and the IPad for several more than that. I would not have known except my son is a computer geek in Seattle and he helped me order my fitbit and attempted to explain it to me. All I got out of it was that I would need the dongle so we ordered it. I wish they had called it something else. 😷

Sent from Outlook
Shelly_D
Jogger

Fitbit is quite counterintuitive. There are numerous details that can be viewed in the app but not on the Website Dashboard and vice versa. It appears people have been recommending the ability to view challenges on the website since 2014 or earlier. The canned comment from admin is, "Thanks for your recommendation. We're looking into." It seems if so many people need this function, fitbit would make some attempt to accommodate. I understand it takes resources away from marketing to corporate wellness programs, but once you've snagged Big Biz, it would seem you could make a real attempt at maitaining customer satisfaction.

Shelly_D
Jogger

I have read many comments suggesting "Download the Windows 10 app," however that app is only an option for Windows 10 users.

Weezer1980
Base Runner

I really enjoy the Adventures and Challenges but the information for these should be available via the Fitbit.com desktop site as well as via the mobile apps.

The user experience feels rather disjointed when you can't see the Adventures and Challenges on both platforms.

I know that Fitbit is built using Salesforce.    Is this "Feature Suggestion" the same as "Salesforce Ideas" or is Ideas held somewhere else on the Community?   To make these ideas easily available to the Community to vote on would be great.    I can see that you have already "declined" a request from users for the Adventures and Challenges to be on Fitbit.com.    

Surely if the users are asking for something, it's good to listen to the users & give them what they ask for rather than to just "decline" the idea with an off hand response like the one that was given?

Weezer1980
Base Runner

100% Fitbit need to add the Adventures and Challenges component on to the Fitbit.com desktop site.

Customers are crying out for it and the Ideas are being declined.   Come of Fitbit, you can do this 🙂 

juannorth21
First Steps

Would love to see challenges available in the dashboard.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.