Charge 3 - Auto Pause functionality

I am honestly puzzled that with all the advanced technology in Charge 3 something so simple as auto pause does not exist.... You have to manually stop time tracking for running or author biking, even though there are plenty of sensors plus GPS connection that can detect stop automatically. Absence of auto pause turns stats for these exercises into a mess... And when you're biking or running in the city with many traffic lights  - it's just have feature simply for safety reasons (just try to play with the tracker when you're on the road on  a bike on a sunny day... you'll see what I mean). Auto pause exists on other Fitbit products  - why not Charge 3? 

32 Comments
RiseAndShine
Distance Runner

Not "author biking", but "outdoor biking"... got to love autocorrect! 😄

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
AlexandraFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

That’s an interesting idea and could be useful, thanks for sharing this suggestion @RiseAndShineI hope it will get many votes. Robot Very Happy

hayyann
Jogger

There's a recent update in which auto pause is introduced in the runs please update that for the walks in the excercises.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
SantiR
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Nice suggestion, thanks for sharing. This could be useful for a lot of users. Keen to see how many users would like to have this? We look forward to hearing what other community members think.

Rclauer
Recovery Runner

Every basic Bike computer has this feature. As do most Bike Tracking apps for phones. If you are a long distance bike rider you stop occasionally for a rest or hit lights. You don't want to constantly pause the app. The same is true for swimming. You do sets and you rest (and sometimes is longer than 60 seconds). 

RiseAndShine
Distance Runner

This feature has been implemented for running in the last update - let's hope (and vote here!) that outdoor biking will get the same update.

Rclauer
Recovery Runner

Also enable for Biking and swimming. It is crazy that you have to manually stop the tracker when you are biking and come to a light or need a short break. 

SaschaG
First Steps

I'd love to see this! Just got my first Fitbit this week, and I will use it mostly for walking. This will make things so much easier haha. 🙂

SaschaG
First Steps

I just got my first Fitbit last week, and I will be using it mostly for tracking my walks. So far I am really pleased with the possibilities of the Fitbit, but I am missing an auto-pause function during walks. I saw it was possible to turn it on for runs, but not for walks? I hope this feature will be added to other exercises as well, it will also be useful for biking.

LuciaFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @SaschaG, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us. This feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here. Don't forget to add your vote!

StotfoldSteve
Recovery Runner

This would be brilliant. When cycling I sometimes take pauses, or hit red lights. As my Charge 3 continues tracking my exercise times and average speeds are skewed. Under Armour's MapMyRide offers a pause function when stationary for 30 seconds - this gives a more accurate reading on my activity time and average speed. Would be brilliant for this to potentially be rolled out on all exercise types as something users can switch on or off to suit.

KNCHNGL
Jogger

What activities support auto pause for charge 3? I only see this support for running on my device? 

It shouldn't be difficult to enable this function for walk and bike, if it is already enabled for run, so I don't get it...

KNCHNGL
Jogger

Absolutely for bike and run! Was available on the Ionic (but I found it too big and clunky).

Cht1000
First Steps

Auto pause for biking is essential. Hope to see that function added in next update. 

Dinisaurier
Jogger

I sometimes wonder why Fitbit takes so long time to add essential features most apps have already implemented.

//Ich frage mich manchmal, warum Fitbit so lange braucht um Features zu implementieren, die für andere Apps selbstverständlich sind.

Kb1980
Jogger

Hi all, 

I agree that Fitbit charge 3 should have auto pause functionality to all activities and to give the users the option to switch off or on. I like to hike and sometimes I forget to pause and some occasions I forget to switch it on. I wish if they can add the auto pause functions to the following activities:

Hiking

Outdoor biking 

Walking 

hawk20011
Recovery Runner

I agree. Walking badly needs an auto-pause feature. I walk in a city and stopping at traffic lights really messes with my mins per kilometer splits. I end up running to get the numbers looking better for my own peace of mind.

Kaybs
First Steps

I agree, I absolutely need an auto pause.  Had I know this was not a feature for bike riding I am not sure I would have purchased the Charge 3.  Live an learn I guess.  I hope this feature can be added.

BCobaltD
First Steps

Adding my voice to this suggestion as well. Being a regular bike rider in an area where it's necessary to wait at some long traffic lights at busy intersections, the auto pause feature was tremendously useful. Would even say it was one of my favorite features on my last fitbit device. Was very shocked to see it wasn't on the charge 3. Do hope that changes soon as this is otherwise a very nice fitness tracker I've grown quite attached to.

djst2
Recovery Runner

+1. I can't count the number of times my Fitbit recorded 3+ hour slooooooooow walks just because I forgot to stop the session. It should just automatically pause on Walk, Hike, Run and Bike - anything using Assisted GPS.

LZeeW
Ultramarathon Racer

Auto-pause should be a feature for other exercises for the Exercise app in all trackers with the exercise app, not just the Charge 3.  Definitely for walking.

mkwrnck
Recovery Runner

Yes, please add auto-pause for walking.

TheNewRP
First Steps

I totally agree to have auto-pause on all activities in the Exercise App. 

RachelC1969
First Steps

Can we also have this for cycling please.  Garmins have this as standard.

LZeeW
Ultramarathon Racer

The auto pause feature needs other activities included -- particularly biking.  This request is for all trackers with an Exercise app, not just the Charge 3.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.