Charging Port Protection

It would be helpful to have a small rubber/plastic stopper to insert into the charging port to protect it from sweat or dust while wearing it. I think that selling this feature separately would be ideal because then customers can purchase them without needing to buy a new Fitbit. However, please make sure to include this feature in your next model for future Fitbit wearers.
19 Comments
Mprice3428
Recovery Runner
I know on most cell phones they have a cover that goes over where you plug in the charger. At least on mine if that's not covered it's not waterproof. It would be nice to have some little silicone piece that we could place in where you would plug in the charger for the Fitbit charge. A way to a. make it waterproof and b. to help with people getting burned from it. Maybe there is like a way to even create a stand alone one right now for those who have a charge. I would pay for one of those
halfmarathonx2
First Steps

I agree.  I am much more paranoid about getting my fitbit charge wet than I was with the fitbit flex.  It would be great if it could be more water resistant or even water proof.  I'm also worried that taking it off and putting it back on multiple times a day will stretch out the clasp and will cause it to not stay fastened.  (It is significantly easier to clasp now than it was when I first got it.)  I have to take it off to wash dishes, wash my face, shower, etc. 

I believe that the port is where condensation enters the screen, so it would be great to have a way to close that portion of the charge off when wearing the fitbit while exercising.  It was not so much of a problem during the summer & fall, but now that I'm wearing long sleeves (and often gloves) while running, it seems to trap more condensation.

dogonets
Recovery Runner

Totally agree!  I can't see how having an open port is a good thing.  Dust, dirt, hair, condensation, etc has to be bad for these. It shouldn't be too difficult to make a retrofit version like a tight fitting silicone plug, but for future models it would awesome to have it integrated into the case to make it more difficult to lose!

Kit-Kit
Recovery Runner
The lack of protection from sweat and water damage is one of the three reasons why I can give this product the love I gave my flex. Would love to see a silicone plug to protect my investment.
txgal51
Stepping Up

Totally agree.  I would buy a silicone plug/cover or will end up returning the Charge for this reason.  

I am not in love with taking the Flex in and out of the band weekly for charging, but definitely feel the "brains" are better protected with it.  It has not failed me in almost 2 years and lets me change the band color to boot.  Exposed metal power contacts, even if recessed,  in an area that is subject to dust, sweat, moisture, and constantly exchanging skin particles doesn't make sense to the geek in me.  Poor design.  Please give us a cover for it.

Daniel512
Jogger
Fitbit should create a slightly oversized silicon or plastic plug for the charge port on the charge

Would only need to be just bigger than the port and it would stop/reduce water ingress and help prevent Fitbit charge not working due to water damage
5eleven
First Steps

I agree as well.  The way that the Surge charger locks into the back of the device, I would think that a silicone or even a hard plastic cover could be inserted into the port and locked in place.  I would buy ten of them....

bdreading
Jogger

I have the Fitbit Charge and desperately need something to cover the charging port.  When I wear it to bed, my skin gets sucked into the hole and I bruise from it all the time.  I would def buy one!  Beats having bruises all over your wrist! How humiliating!

kalibluebyrd
Premium User
Stepping Up

Hello,

An etsy store has begun producing 3d printed port covers for Fitbit wrist based trackers. 

This seems like an easy fix to the all too common "Mt Fitbit won't charge" stories, which are often fueled by dirty charging contacts. 

This should be a standard feature on Fitbits since this is a known issue primarily caused by lack of  a battery port cover. 

A link to the product and store is below:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/**personal info removed**/3d-printed-fitbit-charge-hr-battery

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
Mcore
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

That would be a great idea to implement @missbee0622. It would protect the charging port but also it would keep it clean in order to avoid it from failing. Sounds good! I'll forward your request.

Any other ideas you might have, feel free to share or vote for them, if it’s already suggested in the Feature Request Forum. Thank you!

glapoint
First Steps

I was actually just thinking this today! I've been experiencing some allergic reactions to the charging port on my Fitbit Surge. There must be nickel in it for charging purposes, which is totally understandable. However, my wrist breaks out really badly with itchy sores. If anyone on here has a nickel allergy, you know how incredibly itchy it is! My solution: a plug or something to cover the port.

In addition, it would also protect the port from debris and water, which would be excellent. When I'm cleaning my fitbit, that's always the hardest portion to get clean. I've even had to dig turf rubber out of it at times. While doing so, I was worried that I might have ruined my fitbit by simply wearing while playing soccer..... which is pretty much what it's designed for.

If fitbit could start making a cover for the charging port, I would find it helpful in more than one area. For now, I guess I'll just have to put tape over it.

Status changed to: Not currently planned
SantiR
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi everyone, thanks for sharing this suggestion. We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and we appreciate all of the input we receive from our customers. We do not currently have plans to release this feature. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs. For now, we will leave this suggestion open for votes (and closed to comments) so that we can continue to track community demand over time. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we will let you know if anything changes.

Status changed to: Needs More Info
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Thank you for sharing your Feature Suggestion with the Fitbit Community. In order to keep the forums easily searchable, we regularly archive suggestions which become inactive. Your suggestion has been archived, and can no longer receive votes or comments. If you have another suggestion or want to re-post, feel free to add a new Feature Suggestion here.

Status changed to: Not currently planned
SantiR
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum
Hi everyone, thanks for sharing this suggestion. We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and we appreciate all of the input we receive from our customers. We do not currently have plans to release this feature. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs on the top right corner. For now, we will leave this suggestion open for votes (and closed to comments) so that we can continue to track community demand over time. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we will let you know if anything changes.
Cali710
First Steps

I have seen so many posts now about the charging port causing contact dermatitis. I had not thought about this issue until recently, as I was diagnosed with a gold allergy that causes contact dermatitis. This explained so much, including the rash that periodically breaks out on my wrist directly under the charging port. These pins were confirmed to be gold through a Fitbit customer support chat. There should be a band that goes under the device to separate the port from the skin or a port plug that allows for those of us with an allergy to wear the banded fitbits. I have no wish to wear a clip on and cannot wear my Fitbit anymore because of this. Please please consider this feature. I understand some have requested this for protection of the port. I am requesting it for the protection of my skin. Thank you.

ammorgan
Jogger

It would be nice if in future trackers/watches the charging port could either be moved so it isn't constantly in direct contact with the skin, or there is a way to cover it when it is not in use.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
EdsonFitbit
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

@ammorgan Thanks for sharing your suggestion about moving the charging port on the Fitbit device.

We'll see what other Community members think about this idea and if any update is available it will be communicated as soon as possible.

SkyWatcher
Jogger

I suggest a cover for the metal battery charging contacts, one that could slide off or be opened when charging the device and protect the skin. I'm speaking to Inspire HR, but it would be a good safety idea for any models with open contacts.

Moderator edit: Word choice.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @missbee0622 , thanks for taking the time to share why you would like to see this option on Fitbit devices. This feature suggestion already exists, so I’ve moved your post here. While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

I hope to see you around.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.