Classifying friends

I have numerous friends.  Some that i truly know in life and others I acquire because I love the competition.  I would like to group my friends so I can see how i rank with those I really know versus my FB acquaintances.  I might be able to create a family group, co-worker group, long time friends group, etc.

With how it works now I have to sort through an entire laundry list of friends to see where each of all my real life friends rank.

Moderator edit: Labels

26 Comments
comraderudy
Jogger

I have a lot of Fitbit friends from drifferent circle of friends. I'd love to be able to assign friends to smaller groups within the main friends list.

Many of my Fitbit friends aren't friends with each other so their place on my list is always different than their place on their own list. I thik it would be fun and play up the competitive angle if our lists were the same. This could be accomplished with sub groups. 

Something like this:

+ Friends (master list)
 + Gym buds
- Family
   * Joey
   * Tori
   * Rebecca
   * Emily
 + San Diego
 + Work

gswiston
First Steps

I was recently talking about wanting this feature as well and it was suggested to form my own Community "Activity Group".

So there are Public, Semi-public and private groups ... for my friends and family ... I created a private group and what is REALLY cool ... is that you can include friends and family that do NOT have a fitbit tracker ... they just have to create a fitbit ID and manually enter their stats ...

My complaint is that it is rather cumbersome to add people to a "Private" group because one does NOT have the option of choosing people from your "friend" list and instead, you have to know what email address they used to "register" with Fitbit.

"Public" Groups can be found, but I don't really want my family or friends groups to be found by just anyone ... though one CAN change the setting afterwards, apparently.

Another downside is that the "Community" feature isn't accessible from the Fitbit mobile app ...

But other than that ... It seems to be a reasonable workaround until they better flesh out a way to facilitate people like you and me!

NeriBeri
First Steps

I would really appreciate having the ability to put my friends, family, and coworkers into different "friends" groups so I can control who sees my personal data.

I don't mind sharing my weight or sleep details with my close friends or family members, but I don't want my coworkers having access to this data.

As it stands right now, I must grant all or none of my friend access to these areas of my profile. It would spectacular if I could create my own friends list and determine what stats each list sees.

Thank you for your consideration.

tmdooley
Jogger

I would like to be able to group friends.  For Example- I would like a friends list or label for my weight watcher friends, so I can be in challenges with them or have them grouped differently than, say neighboor walking friends that I can be in challenges with.

eab16
Recovery Runner

I would really like to be able to have categories in my friends, I have family, people who I know through groups and challenges, people I work with, and people I work out with. Generally I would like to be able to find people faster by group or how I know them, as when I create a challenge I would only be adding one group of these people at a time.

Twobees
Stepping Up

I agree.  Like google+ so that you can put friends into more than one category

Twobees
Stepping Up

I agree.  I'd like it so that you can put a person in more than one category too.  So a neighbour can also be in one of my challenge groups, or a cousin coud be in my walking group one as well

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I agree, being able to group friends would be super helpful

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
CindyFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hey @Kim_L it's nice to see you around! Thanks for sharing this great idea, I think this could be so helpful for all of the users. 

If you have any other idea, don't hesitate in visiting our Feature Request board again. See  you later! Woman Wink

julegam
First Steps

Would be cool if you could set up a Workweek Hustle or other challenge for a group you are part of, rather than Friends only.

elephant730
First Steps

I have MANY friends from different fitness groups on Fitbit, and my friends list is getting to be a bit too large to reference in the dashboard.

I would like a way to sort my friends into different groups within my dashboard (e.g., Family, Work, Dance, Sailing, etc.).

CyberSam
Jogger

I would like the ability to group and name grouped friends.

I have some people who are very active and some who are not so active, I would like to be able to create groups and assign my friends to them, then when I start say a work week hustle, I can then pick the group I want the invite to go out to, this way people who are more competitive arent crushing folks who may not be as competitive but are still meeting their goals.

xxCole
Jogger
I agree! Friend groups would really be the best! I've stopped challenges because I have friends speaking different languages and it makes people annoyed 😂
nursecogar
First Steps

I would like to organize my friends list in groups, I have many friends from other challenge groups I'm involved in and sometimes my actual friends and family stats get lost in the jumble, I would like to make groups with drop down arrows so if I want to see how my actual friends are doing I can click that, or if I want to see how my challenge group is doing, or how my coworkers are doing I can click to see each category of "friends"! Lets make this happen 🙂

Arlandria
Recovery Runner

I would love to be able to categorise my friends - add them to a group, or add a tag, to identify how I know them. So I might have a group (or tag group) or work friends, gym friends, etc.

It should be possible to place a person into more than one group.

It should also be possible to filter by groups (or tags, or whatever you call it) when creating challenges - so that for example I can create a challenge just for work friends.

iSting
Base Runner

I would love to create categories of my friends.  This would be great for challenges where there are certain people that I compete with on a regular basis.

Lindseyydiane
First Steps

Would love a way to group friends together so I can easily find who I want to add to certain challenges. 

Lueck767
Tempo Runner

I really like this idea. Hopefully they implement this soon!

JessiLink
First Steps

I wholeheartedly agree!! I would love to separate my friends by different categories, and many others have expressed the same wish, especially the newcomers who are used to using this feature in other applications. PLEASE PLEASE consider this!!

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

With

Family

Work

Council

Real world friends

And Friends met throgh the comunity, this would be a great feature.

JessiLink
First Steps

Absolutely, Rich!

Status changed to: Under Consideration
LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi everyone thanks for sharing this suggestion. This is being discussed although I do not have a firm commitment or timeline at the moment. Do continue to vote for this feature suggestion whilst it’s under consideration.

Please note that if something is under consideration and chosen for development, it can be a while until it's released or until I have any news to share. Please watch this space for any updates! Thanks for your patience.

BrainWaveCC
Base Runner

This would be an excellent feature.

Custom groups (at least 5-10) with the ability to set different privacy options on them.

Status changed to: Not currently planned
LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Kim_L thanks for this suggestion. With the launch of closed groups in Fitbit Feed, this is technically now possible if you wanted to create your own groups with families, co-workers or close friends. You can find more about closed groups here. I understand what your wanting is a list of specific friend groups under your 'friend' tab in the app, which is not currently planned at this point in time. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs. For now, we will leave this suggestion open for votes (and closed to comments) so that we can continue to track community demand over time. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we will let you know if anything changes.

RenewedDawn
First Steps
I have friends on my app from all over ex: work, Facebook groups, church, RL friends, people with the same Fitbit goals. Sometimes I can't remember the connection. It would be nice if we could group friends or add a note so that we can remember who they are. This has been suggested before but it was turned down. We need this feature.
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.