Coach for Seniors

Please add a coach for seniors. Many of these exercises are for those who are young and fit and are not reasonable for those who are new to exercise or trying to begin an exercise program. Many of us have bad knees and backs and would like a workout taking these things into consideration. 

Moderator edit: added label

28 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
DavideFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi, thank you for sharing this idea @Cojaka, this could be very helpful for a lot of users using Coach. We look forward to hearing what other community members think.  

Craasch2
First Steps

A lot of people over 50 start to focus more on their health. I have personally brought in three siblings over 50 to this product. 

There is no ability on the tracker of periods to track periods that are highly irregular in length or few and far between. It also could be very helpful to be able to tap on night sweats or hot flashes on the phone to track the patterns of those. Even being able to track significant differences in body temperature seems very practical.

@Cojaka wrote:

Please add a coach for seniors. Many of these exercises are for those who are young and fit and are not reasonable for those who are new to exercise or trying to begin an exercise program. Many of us have bad knees and backs and would like a workout taking these things into consideration. 

Moderator edit: added label

Sueall
Recovery Runner

I agree.  And how about a seniors clock face..one we can actually read without reading glasses in a dark room! Where time/date/hr or steps takes up full screen, and page though to get additional info.

DinSF
First Steps

One doesn't have to be a senior to have physical problems, an accident or illness can change the life of any person. I agree with the writer of the question as there are many levels of Doing exercise. I like to swim but due to an injury I am mainly just water walking but the only options is swimming and only at one level. swimming  is a goal but I'm not there yet I water walk in all all of the pool depths and water walking is exercise and I dont stop for an hour (no haging on the sides for me). And my physical therapist wants to know how much Im doing every time I go for therapy.

BarbieDoll2
Recovery Runner

I am 73 and on blood pressure meds. Firstly I would like to fill out a questionnaire prior to being assessed for my ability to do the given exercises. I would like to be given exercises that take this info into account. I would like to be assigned exercises that realistically target my personal problem areas. Seniors have issues with belly fat, sagging skin, being able to stand up from a crouching position, cardio issues with meds . Secondly, I would like a senior to demonstrate how the exercises are done so I am not comparing my ability to do them to a much younger person. I am able to do the given exercises but at a much slower pace and it will take much longer to master them.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @BarbieDoll2, thanks for explaining why you would like to have this option. I've moved it into a similar suggestion which has a lot of votes. As the more votes and comments an idea has the more visibility and momentum it gains. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs.

JayG1963
Jogger

I am heading into late 50's and I love my Charge 3 with the ability to count floors. It has really motivated me to do more stairs.  I did 100 flights today and feel pretty chuffed!

It seems funny that the women's health thing only does periods.  I have had a hysterectomy so that is not going to happen but some thought could go into something to measure for more senior people.  Some of us are going to have much longer lives without periods than with them.

Craasch2
First Steps

Agreed... we also have a lot more health conditions like blood pressure, pre-diabetes, etc.

Munchkyn
First Steps

Jumping jacks, jogging, and high intensity workouts are never going to be a good idea for the majority of women over 50, especially those with bone density issues. I need low impact aerobics, water walking trackers, water aerobics tracking. Floor exercises are good but they need to be SLOWER, and demonstrated by someone with gray hair. Yoga and body weight routines are great, as well as tai chi exercises. Thanks for being open to these suggestions. 

pat1952
Jogger

It would also be helpful if there was a "cane" option.  My mobility is limited.  I need a cane to walk more than a few steps.  The only way I can get a count of my steps is to wear my Inspire HR on my ankle.  An adequate solution, but with more people aging, it would be nice to be able to use it without an accomodation.

01/30/21  I figured out what was wrong a while ago but did not update.  However the Senior/Impaired workout is an excellent idea!!

Rona1117
Recovery Runner
Many Fitbit owners are seniors, like me (67). Every exercise routine on Fitbit Premium is youth-driven and presented as such. Having a "seniors" category, with routines that respect our creaky joints, etc., more in line with the Silver Sneakers approach, would be helpful and considerate. You'll probably get a lot more subscribers!
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Rona1117, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to see exercises for seniors on Fitbit Coach. Thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable
The Premium Guided Videos are great. However, what is missing are Videos specific to the specific needs of seniors. Too much twisting, jumping and going quickly from a standing position to a floor position can be a problem for those of us who have hip and knee replacements.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Yes, please please work on senior workout videos soon. 

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @SunsetRunner, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to see senior workout videos. Thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon.

LHWonkette
Jogger

I see requests for senior workouts going back years and still nothing for seniors??? I don't think Premium is worth it if there's nothing...

Mimi.zz
First Steps

Yes please!  I'm in my 50s and have osteoporosis, and many of these workouts aren't safe with that. 

Rvvagabond
First Steps

I see this thread has been active for several years. I would agree with the comments above. I don't mind spending a few dollars for premium content, but none of the exercise programs are suitable for those older folks who have arthritis or osteoporosis along with other infirmities who are looking for help to stay active. Please include us.

Rvvagabond
First Steps

I might add that many Seniors are not likely to post here, but are thinking and wanting the same programs. I retired from years in IT and programming, and I'm not intimidated by technology.

carleeh
Jogger

I am not a senior but am recovering from both plantar fasciitis and a shoulder injury, so I can’t jump up and down or do any plank-type workouts, either. Most of the available workout videos are too high-impact, so I can’t use them. Furthermore, you have to skin through the entire video before starting your workout to make sure you can actually do all the exercises. It’s frustrating. 

Louie52e
Stepping Up

I agree with all of the comments above that have been posted for the last 3 years. Coaching videos need to service all of your membership. As an active 70 year old I wish to appropriately engage in suitable coached fitness practices that promote functionality.. Why should I continue to pay for a premium service I cannot use? We live an enlightened time. Avoid ageism! 

Safyre
Stepping Up

I'm guessing that a lot of your potential members would be willing to pay for the Premium service as Seniors if there were workouts designed for us. Why so slow to develop this idea? There are a lot of us that are "fit for our age," but still need lower-intensity exercise for our aging joints. This is a *needed* service.

Louie52e
Stepping Up

No matter how many comments from seniors, or how much "momentum" is gained, I see no response from Fitbit regarding the issue of needing coached exercise specifically for seniors.  Please offer coaching for the monthly fee that takes into account their special situations and limitations. 

Rvvagabond
First Steps
I discontinued my premium because of this. It had no value to me
Groovyvegangirl
First Steps

I have read everyone's comments and agree wholeheartedly however I am very disappointed to see that despite these comments being posted for almost 3 years, nothing has yet been done despite the comments by a Fitbit Moderator. It took alot of searching to find this platform to share my request for more inclusive content appropriate for older people or those with some physical restrictions. There is most definitely a much larger segment of the population who are not able to be represented here because they can't navigate through the maze to reach this forum. That doesn't mean that there aren't a lot more people thinking the same thing. Come on Fitbit. Step up and show what kind of company you really are. If you really care about helping people be their best selves then step up and make the changes otherwise we might just think it's all about making money.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.